Saturn Netlink Issues

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Jetstor

Saturn Netlink Issues

Post by Jetstor »

Hello Netlinkers! I wonder if someone has the Saturn Netlink modem working properly browsing the net, even if that happened a long time ago. I recently bought one in mint condition at Ebay and it seems to work fine: it dials correctly either in tone or pulse mode, manages to communicate and username/password being apparently accepted by the server. From this point on all goes as it tries to receive data but the connection is lost, it hangs up and start the process all over again, on an on.

Trying to figure out what is happening I made some testing to eliminate a few possibilities: I have 2 (veery) old functional PCs (an Intel 486 Presario 524 running Win95 with a 14400bps modem and a AMD 586 running DOS 6.2/Win3.1 with a Sound Blaster 33600bps) and both of then manage to connect to the same ISP provider and even open Google in IE 3.0 and 5.0 respectively, so I assume there is no problem with the phone line, the ISP provider or even with such old browser tech, similar to Saturn's PlanetWeb (BTW: I've tried PW 2.0, 3.0 and 4.035 beta and all of then seems to behave identically. I also tried different RJ11 cables and even different wall jackets, just to be sure it isn't such a basic misstep).

Does anyone has any idea why Netlink couldn't do the same? I would be satisfied even if it only opens a gray error 404 page or any other error page meaning it can't handle nowadays HTML; but what intrigues me is that constant re-dialing with absolutely nothing happening in between. Last but not least I tried messing with the Modem Initialing String with no luck, so if anyone has a Netlink that browses at least a bit I'll be very grateful if a functional Init String could be shared with me. Best regards!
Rogue

Re: Saturn Netlink Issues

Post by Rogue »

Well, I remember trying some times for the first connection. It was the ADSL modem connected at the same time. If you use ADSL internet, try taking it out of the telephone line some minutes to try the NetLink. Even with a filter it doesn't work.

Another thing, try taking out and reinserting the Modem in the Cartridge Slot. Maybe your Slot is a bit "faulty". That's a common issue with the Saturn Cartridge Slot.
For example, with a brand new Saturn, the Modem needed reinserts for me. Even if the Cartridge is perfect and never failed with other accessories, like the Backup Memory. I think the Modem is not so well costructed, but it will work fine.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Jetstor

Post by Jetstor »

Thanks a lot for answering, Rogue! I'm on cable internet here and the phone line is conventional and exclusive for phoning, so I think there's nothing I can do about it. But I'll sure try to clean the cartridge slot and reinsert Netlink at least a couple of times to see if it works properly. Thanks again!
(PS: only now I saw your location, I'm from Brasil too - SP/SP! Grande abraço!)
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Oh, I didn't noticed too.

Nice. If you want to play, I have Sega Rally, Virtual On and Duke Nukem 3D.

PM me with your telephone number, I'm not really going to play today, or tomorrow... Maybe in the next weekend...

=)
I'm ready to play!
Jetstor

Post by Jetstor »

Let's do a match one of this days, I'll search for my Sega Rally and let you know.
Rogue, I'm almost assuming my Netlink is definitely faulty. I've cleaned the port, tried another Saturn console and even another phone company and got nothing. I've found an offer for a japanese netlink model and I'm inclined into buying it, just want to ask you. two things before doing it:
- can your netlink open any webpage, even slowly and not fully?
- if possible, can you copy and paste your Modem Initialization String so I can try it?
Based on this I'll decide for another hardware, even if it is not as cheap as the first one... thank you for your support!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Yes, I can browse a lot of sites. I've already saved a lot of bookmarks in the Saturn. I've also uploaded some images and sound clips to try them in the browser.

The PlanetWeb 3.0 can open more sites (the one bundled with the "NetLink Game Pack") than the 2.0 (bundled with the NetLink). And you should try "site.com" instead of "site.com.br". Some ".br" sites just can't be opened with older broswers.

The japanese (grey) modem is 14.400 kbps. I believe it works (I have one, but I'm too lazy to try it lol), but it will be slower. I believe that it will interfere in the gameplay. You know, not any country is "small" like Japan, so 14,4 may be "almost useless". So no point in getting one, really. Except for collection purposes, my case... n.n

I can copy the Init String, of course. But it's really the default setting. I believe that in the instruction booklet or online in the browser help (actually it's the digital version of the same manual) you have the default numbers.

What happens in your screen? Also, try calling (from your cell phone, for example) to your house, to see if the modem "rings". And do the opposite too, put your cell phone number and dial, just to make sure it's "working". Of course the phone should ring.
I'm ready to play!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Oh, I almost fogot, you can also just delete the PlanetWeb file from the Saturn memory.
Anything will be back to default.
I'm ready to play!
Jetstor

Post by Jetstor »

Thanks for your support, Rogue! I've decided in buying the jap modem because this one comes complete with box and CDs, so it's like you said a irresistible piece for collectors. This way I'll be getting a different one to compare with Netlink and if neither work at least it will look good at the shelf (or the bottom of the closet, for worse hehe).
I thought about comparing init strings because this Netlink I got came with a different set of values in comparison with default values recommended by the manual (it had &C1 value added, and had &Q0 changed for &Q5 value) so I tried both (and many more permutations) and none worked (default string going a bit far before losing the connection). In conclusion it can either be a faulty modem or an incompatible ISP provider and soon I'll be putting this to proof, so don't bother copying the string values if they are the same as manual's.
I'll sure try your testing suggestions and as soon as I get anything working (I hope!) I'll let you know, thanks again!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Which ISP are you trying? Any free ISP I've tryed worked fine.
I've also changed my broadband ISP for one that give Dial Up access too. To avoid registering in a lot of ISPs...
I'm ready to play!
Jetstor

Post by Jetstor »

The question (I suppose) you raise is exactly the one that bugs me: is it really a faulty Netlink I got or is it an ISP incompatibility sort of problem? I'm almost sure it's a modem problem because, as I said before, two vintage PCs I have can connect for sure through the same free ISP provider, which is POP, with modems as old as Netlink.
Here is another problem I've bumped into and yet have no solution: I could not test with another ISP provider because my broadband provider doesn't offer dial up and all the other free ISPs I am registered and have used many times before (Ig, Ibest, iTelefonica) offer no valid phone number to dial to anymore, all of them are using exclusively their own dialers so the only one I found capable of giving a phone number to use on Netlink's setup was this POP one. Which free ISP providers did you tried and worked well? Do you have any valid phone numbers to dial to? I f you do perhaps I can try to register a free account in yours choice just to try it out.
Anyway I've already bought the japanese modem for Saturn and as soon as it arrives I'll be able to put all this to a final test: if it is capable of surfing the net I'll be sure I have a broken Netlink; if both of them can't, then I'll have to wait till I find a compatible ISP provider or perhaps I'll try to learn how to setup a PBX via PC and try it for a solution.
Thank you very much for keep following this thread, Rogue! I'll keep you posted as soon I have some (hopefully good) news.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Uh, you really don't need to use the "dialer". I don't remember one that only works through the dialer.
In any ISP's site there's a page with the numbers listed by city. The same number that the dialer uses.

Just search for it...
http://br.bing.com/search?q=numeros+de+ ... E&filt=all
I'm ready to play!
Jetstor

Post by Jetstor »

That's the problem, almost all phone numbers I was accustomed to use are no longer valid and the same goes to almost all phone numbers I found and tried through many searches I've done except for POP (as an example, the dialing number suggested by UOL in it's own help page for my city is no longer valid). I tried contacting support in a bunch of them with no response at all, it seems they don't care a bit for free dialing users (who are few and non-profit these days).
Anyway I'll try some other phone numbers I found and the ones you provided on the search above, sooner or later I'll find a valid one of any other ISP provider and put to test the ISP incompatibility theory, I'll let you know as soon as I got something, thanks!
Jetstor

Post by Jetstor »

Hello Rogue, good news! I finally got to surf the web with Netlink which means the unit is fine, the problem being an incompatibility between POP ISP provider and the modem.
Following your tips I kept searching for a valid phone number of an alternate ISP provider and even though the number they officially offered for my city wasn't operative anymore, I've managed to find a couple of numbers for cities around here with the same area code and after discharging one of them as non effective to connect as well I finally found the other to connect perfectly.
Here goes an example of a website made only with plain and simple HTML which opens perfectly with Planetweb 3.0: http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... 49c571.jpg
I want to thank you again very much for your invaluable support, looking forward for a Sega Rally netlinked match among us in a a near future!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Hi!

Nice to see that your NetLink is working.

It's a very cool feeling. I like to browse in the night. The silence with the PlanetWeb sound effects make it very special for me.

I've tryed to make a website specially for the Saturn's PlanetWeb, but I'm so lazy to learn how to make a good website. I don't think that's hard, considering that old patterns will be used. It's just lack of effort, really.

Maybe we can set up a match in the weekend?
I'm ready to play!
Jetstor

Post by Jetstor »

Hello Rogue, I'm looking forward for a Sega Rally match over Netlink, already downloaded and burned the correct edition as my old copy was the offline one. I'll PM you soon with my phone number.
You are absolutely right, there is a very good nostalgic and soothing felling as we navigate with Planetweb either on Saturn or Dreamcast, it is like a trip to the past and a pleasure to see such technologies already working.
Almost forgot to mention that I wish to write an article about Saturn and it's games and peripherals on my blog sometime in the near future (already did for Dreamcast: http://jetstor.wordpress.com/2012/07/16 ... cessorios/), feel free to comment anything you want about the console, Netlink or Planetweb, any contributions are highly wellcome!