NetLink is on the front page of Reddit

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Overkill

NetLink is on the front page of Reddit

Post by Overkill »

But they're talking shit about is.

Here's the link: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... ega_saturn

Help to defend NetLink's legacy!!
JerryTerrifying

Re: NetLink is on the front page of Reddit

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Honestly, this device is probably not even worth discussing. It cost $200 and was compatible with a grand total of 5 games. Nobody owned it, and with good reason.
You have to remember, the NetLink was released at the same time when Internet usage was really hitting the mainstream in the US. This was already right in the middle of the famous AOL disk mailbomb campaign, and cyber thriller movies like "The Net" and "Hackers" were already out on video. As such, a lot of people had computers and were connecting to the internet. Hell, people were playing online deathmatch in Quake by this time.
So, we had computers and modems and all that, and here comes this $200 device for our gaming box in the living room that does basically the same thing, but is worse because it costs three times as much and only supports 5 games. We Saturn gamers simply ignored this device.
It wasn't even a breakthrough technological marvel or anything of the sort. It was just a repackaging of existing and widely used technology, sold at a huge markup and compatible with almost nothing.
If nothing else, the Saturn NetLink was really just Sega testing the waters for the true gaming console revolution to come, which was the Dreamcast with it's built-in modem, which was the first time online multiplayer gaming in the living room hit the mainstream.
LOL. He really seems booty battered over not having $200 to buy a Netlink when it was new.
Game collection on my site.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

What an idiot review.

Nowadays, you can see a lot of poor written text like that. People with their minds of today talking about the 90's technology.

I've seen some about framerates lol. People talking that it was "impossible" to play games like Conker's Bad Fur Day, even Zelda Ocarina, beause of the 20-30 fps... Curiously these games were big hits.

It's what internet talk is today. This idiot talking about something groundbreaking like a modem to browse the web in your television, like it was "simple" and more important, "at the time".
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It only takes me a few minutes to adjust to the lower frame rates these days...
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!