programming software

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
vampiee303

programming software

Post by vampiee303 »

Hi I dont want to spend 1000 bucks on a sophia dev kit to make a game. I want to learn and program/make a game for sega saturn. The sega saturn is the hardest console to program for and I want to master it. If I can master this console, I can program mostly anything. Or maybe use visual studio and plug the language in. I also want to know the programming language for the saturn. Thanks!!!!
xDerekRx

Re: programming software

Post by xDerekRx »

Ugh I love your enthusiasm but youre in for a huge task.

There is a forum EXACTLY deticated to making Saturn games

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/fo ... evelopment

You will find everything you need there. I wish you luck.

If you ever do have success let me know Im always interested in helping with a Saturn dev project.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: programming software

Post by Warp2063 »

Yeah... ouch.

You're not going to be using Visual Studio for the Saturn - the libraries are going to be useless for you, and even if they could help, they'd likely use up all your RAM before you got any game code in there. Most games were written in assembly, and some were written in C once better compilers were created. And since you're looking at multiple processors, get ready to learn multiple assembly languages.

Besides, a lot of the stuff you'll learn in writing for the Saturn is only going to be loosely applicable to other systems (maybe a bit more if you're interested in other similarly-aged or older systems.)
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!