Sega Touring Car Championship

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Slytris

Sega Touring Car Championship

Post by Slytris »

I recently got my hands on a Saturn and absolutely love it. With it, I received a copy of Sega Touring Car Championship, which is extremely fun (although nearly unplayable without a Saturn Racing Wheel).

The internal battery on my Saturn is probably dead, so the console asks me to set the date and time every time I turn it on. I usually leave it at 1/1/1994 just so I can quickly get to the game. Now, the interesting thing is, whenever I start the game with the console at this past date, Sega Touring Car Championship displays an advertisement for its 1st Global NetLink event scheduled for December 24, 1997.

This leads me to believe that some sort of multiplayer was possible for this game over NetLink. I'm assuming that Sega directly hosted this "event", and that it probably wasn't related to xBand. However, I investigated further and found that in the Hiscores menu on the Saturn side of the game, there is an option to connect to the internet via NetLink to upload your race records.

I don't have a NetLink modem to test this, but I'm really curious to see whether or not this could be another hidden online Saturn game. Supposedly there's a browser to go along with the NetLink interface when you submit scores as well.

If anyone knows more about this game, I'd love to hear, and I'd be willing to try to restore my landline to play over NetLink! Also, if anyone could fill me in about the Saturn expansion cartridges and how to play imports, that would be fantastic (I have a Japanese 4m ram cart).

Thanks all!
xDerekRx

Re: Sega Touring Car Championship

Post by xDerekRx »

Hey just buy an Action Replay 4-1 off Ebay to play imports. Easy peasey.

As for Sega Touring Car, I really liked that game. It was a late release game that got some bad reviews for a couple reasons. Some people wanted it to be the successor to Sega Rally which was unfair because of how good Sega Rally was. Also some felt it was rushed like most of the late games.

I remember hearing about the Netlink contest but I dont think there was ever any Netlink code for the game. Although it would be cool to find it was playable over netlink in a debug mode.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Slytris

Post by Slytris »

Oh, it's that easy? Thanks! Hmm, now what to do with this ram cartridge...

I really like the game for what it is, and yeah, I wonder if there's any way that a developer might be able to run a multiplayer netlink mode? Maybe I should just grab a copy of Sega Rally to race with you guys. :D
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Yes. The game featured an online ranking.

Actually, if I remember correctly, it's all written in the manual...

And, it was only for the records. The game has an "event mode" that works in maybe two dates, I don't remember.

If you want to check the site, you can look for the address that the Saturn says in the Internet Archive. It's almost totally available after some attempts in the Archive website.

Also, the music of Sega Touring Car is awesome. I love it.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D