Will it work?! PAL

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
DreamcastUK

Will it work?! PAL

Post by DreamcastUK »

Howdy,

So just got myself a Netlink and Sega Saturn Keyboard, I was wondering if the Netlink adapter was region free?

As I recently burnt out a PAL Dreamcast by connecting a JP Dreamcast Karaoke Machine.

The Saturn Netlink adapter will be plugged into a PAL Sega Saturn, also speaking of NetLink I will be then purchasing the Netlink enabled games I'm guessing that none of the PAL versions of the games have a Netlink option and that I have to purchase the NTSC/JP version or the standalone Netlink versions of the game.

Any help?

DreamcastUK
ItsMuchMore
DreamcastUK
ItsMuchMore Owner

PAL Sega Saturn Gamer
Austin Peyton

Re: Will it work?! PAL

Post by Austin Peyton »

you will need a reigon free bios or a united states saturn in order to play the exclusive 5 netlink games for the usa. I would recommend since many of the netlink games are quite difficult to find and insanely expensive. to get a usa saturn with a modchip. you can two of the games brand new for 80 and duke nukem for 40. saturn bomberman however is like 300 bucks and daytona netlink is 1000. buy the jp version of saturn bomber man as a "backup" and burn the us version of the game on a us system with modchip from assembler games. you can buy them from shane, bad-ad, and zer0. They are onl 30 bucks and require very little soldering. i would definitely just burn daytona since it isnt that great of a game. if you just want to do no modchip then i would recommend just buying a brand new netlink game pack off ebay for 80 which comes with virtual on and sega rally. then a us saturn to play the us games for 40. then if you want duke nukem 3d which is also a very affordable netlink game for 40. bottom line you will need a us saturn to play the netlink as the reigion lock will ban the us netlink compatible games.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Well you can try using the compatible games to see if they detect and interact with the NetLink.
Maybe some of them have the code and the NetLink was just not realeased officially there. Wasn't some talk about tests in Finland? I vaguely remember something about that. you should look more. Try setakore website.

The problem about using both the NetLink and the NTSC games in your Saturn is that you only have one cartridge slot, so there's no way to read the discs in a stock PAL Saturn. (i.e. using a gameshark to bypass the region)

I don't believe the modem is blocked. That's would be hard for them to make at the time. Even today accessories are rarely blocked. The problem is the software really.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
DreamcastUK

Post by DreamcastUK »

Austin Peyton wrote:you will need a reigon free bios or a united states saturn in order to play the exclusive 5 netlink games for the usa. I would recommend since many of the netlink games are quite difficult to find and insanely expensive. to get a usa saturn with a modchip. you can two of the games brand new for 80 and duke nukem for 40. saturn bomberman however is like 300 bucks and daytona netlink is 1000. buy the jp version of saturn bomber man as a "backup" and burn the us version of the game on a us system with modchip from assembler games. you can buy them from shane, bad-ad, and zer0. They are onl 30 bucks and require very little soldering. i would definitely just burn daytona since it isnt that great of a game. if you just want to do no modchip then i would recommend just buying a brand new netlink game pack off ebay for 80 which comes with virtual on and sega rally. then a us saturn to play the us games for 40. then if you want duke nukem 3d which is also a very affordable netlink game for 40. bottom line you will need a us saturn to play the netlink as the reigion lock will ban the us netlink compatible games.
Thank you both for the replies.

I can pick this version of Daytona up for £15 and I'll hunt around for the rest of the games, just gotta get myself a US Saturn which is more difficult then getting a PAL Sega Saturn and you can't get any of those for less then £50.

I'm guessing if I do manage to get the right Saturn and the right games, playing online will cost me an international calling rate? Or can a telephone simulator by pass that, well they are £100 on their own anyway
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (240.5 KiB) Viewed 19308 times
DreamcastUK
ItsMuchMore Owner

PAL Sega Saturn Gamer
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

DreamcastUK wrote:Thank you both for the replies.

I can pick this version of Daytona up for £15 and I'll hunt around for the rest of the games, just gotta get myself a US Saturn which is more difficult then getting a PAL Sega Saturn and you can't get any of those for less then £50.

I'm guessing if I do manage to get the right Saturn and the right games, playing online will cost me an international calling rate? Or can a telephone simulator by pass that, well they are £100 on their own anyway
The japanese Daytona will need swap trick or chip (because ST-KEY or action replay can't be used at the same time in the cartridge slot) if the Saturn is not NTSC-J. But you are aware of that I suppose. Also, the game is "other" game, you'll need to play with someone using the "same" game. I don't know why you would want to use the japanese version really?
I mean, thinking only about odds, it's hard for us to gather people willing to use the same games. Your odds are even lower attempting to find a person using a different game.

Yes whoever dial will pay the international call. They're not very expensive because the game sessions will not last that long but they're not free of course.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Austin Peyton

Post by Austin Peyton »

Get a us saturn and a modchip with a netlink modem. Then you will be able to play daytona USA cce netlink edition(us bin/cue). I have used a burned version of that game on my us saturn and it works perfect with the modem inserted.