Shenmue

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Shenmue

Post by Xranger60 »

What are your thoughts on this title? Both the Dreamcast and Xbox versions are relevant.

1 was one of my favorite games for Dreamcast. It gave you the feeling you were part of this environment. Immersion was the strongest aspect of this one. As for storyline it can get a little confusing, since it is just one of a series that was planned out.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Best game ever, simple as that as far as im concerned, closeley followed in second place by shenmue 2, totaly different and more engrossing than any other game I have ever played, you trully become part of the game when you are playing, amazing stuff :)
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Im about to start playing Shenmue II for DC, I can't wait to get it started. I wanted to go back to the roots and play the DC version instead of the Xbox one. Shenmue II for the Xbox can probably be found for dirt cheap now. But I just love DC.
segadreamcaster

Xranger60 wrote:Im about to start playing Shenmue II for DC, I can't wait to get it started. I wanted to go back to the roots and play the DC version instead of the Xbox one. Shenmue II for the Xbox can probably be found for dirt cheap now. But I just love DC.
Good for you, don't balme you, can't beat the real thing can ya :) . I have been wanting to replay tboth shenmue games for a while, however I have resisted the temptation because I don't wanna go through the suffering of the cliff hanger again at the end of Shenmue 2...soooo unfair :(

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I agree. I really hope Shenmue III comes out soon. The damn thing is practically finished. This has to be the end of the story, what with all the troubles they've had getting companies to publish it. This third one has to be the definitive end. Kinda sad that one of the marquee games from Dreamcast that was so hyped up in its day is struggling to find someone to publish it.
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

Asking around...this series is really hit or miss with most people. Some think it's a great experience, others find it didn't live up to the hype. I'd just like to know what hype they're talkin' about :P Before I bought Shenmue, I literally only saw 2 commercials for the game...and got it just on AM2's reputation.

And we all know what happened to #2 in the U.S...

As odd as this is gonna sound, I don't think I'd feel the same way about this series if I played it on another console. That probably has more to do with nostalgia than actual logic, but hey...it is what it is :)

I think they're both awesome games. The original Shenmue gets the nodd from me because there was nothing else like it, and 2 takes everything that was great about 1 and makes it that much better (graphics, voice acting, and just totally destroying any perception that I thought I had of the DC's power).

I agree that it's not cool about the unfinished ending, but man....what a ride.
segadreamcaster

Yeah Shenmue always has been love or hate to be honest, many people who I have spoken to either say, "Oh yeah one of (or the best) the best games ever made" or "Nah its boring, can't stand it turned it off after a short time"

To me Shenmue is the best game ever, followed closely by Shenmue 2, somehow I always found the original to be better than the sequel, but both are totally fantastic.

I totally understand waht you mean though Cidus, I don't think it would be the same on a different console either, I have Shenmue 2 for the XBOX but have not played it yet....don't really want to really but had to have it :)

Cheers, Craig

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

segadreamcaster wrote:...
To me Shenmue is the best game ever, followed closely by Shenmue 2, somehow I always found the original to be better than the sequel, but both are totally fantastic.
I can understand that.

The original has a sort of...gah!, can't think of the word....'purity', that I think the sequel loses a bit. Much like Sonic Adventure....on paper, the sequel is the better game, but there's just a feeling that original has that just draws you in a little bit more. Normally, 'feeling' being totally subjective, probably doesn't matter much in a game. But in a title like Shenmue it pretty much means everyting: how deep you get into the story, how much exploration you do, how well you like the characters, and just your overall experience.

About the whole "can't play it on another console" issue...I think that's because Shenmue is one of those titles that helped define the Dreamcast. It'd be like playing Shining Force 3 on the Playstation...the whole time you'd be thinking, "There's just something wrong about this." :)