Own a DC and use it online? (attempt 3)

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.

Do you Own a Dreamcast and Play online?

Yes I own a Dreamcast and Still play online to this day..Im so very proud
59%
Yes I own a Dreamcast, used to play online but not anymore...shoot me now I deserve it
7%
Yes I own a Dreamcast but I have never played online
28%
Used to own a Dreamcast but sold it...yes I'm really that much of an idiot
No votes
Used to own a Dreamcats but it broke and I never got off my ass to replace it
No votes
Never Owned and Dreamcast but have always Dreamed of owning one
7%
Sorry only just opened my eyes for the first time, whats a Dreamcast?
No votes
Nah not interested I a complete and utter prat who has no idea what a good games console is
No votes

Total votes: 29

Nightmare a la DC

Post by Nightmare a la DC »

It's a bummer that the numbers are dwindling for Q3A right now, the best way to try and get the numbers up would be to to get some more tournaments organized (even though from what I saw with the last tourney at OC was pretty difficult to co-ordinate).
...I'll think of one later, read something else.
grolt

Post by grolt »

What are the numbers, anyway? I imagine it is still strong on PC - hell, I still find tons of full servers whenever I bust out my old Quake 1. And if PC players can play on those DC servers, then I can't imagine the competition to ever completely vanish.
That's fly.
Nightmare a la DC

Post by Nightmare a la DC »

Usually DC players avoid playing with PC users anymore since nowadays almost every PC can play the game with a rate of 60+ frames, compared to the roughly 30 frames the DC version has. It leads to the PC players having a grossly unfair advantage over the DC players. Besides, there's the whole idea of why PC players should even be on a DC server when they have hundreds of servers still up while we have a few dozen at the most.
...I'll think of one later, read something else.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Yeh it is sad and yes some scheduled meets would probably help a lot...have something planned with that sometime soon :) if I ever get around to it that is :(

Servers are dead most of the time for the DC, the PC servers are still very very active with thousands still playing...the DC server however do not show up on the PC version, it requires the installation of the DC map pack and possible a patch downgrade to even play on the server...then you have to manually enter the IP address of the DC server you want to play on...doesnt show in the PC master list..which is good in many ways as it generally keeps PC players away :) but on the negative side it does mean that the servers are mostly dead :(
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
segadreamcaster

BUMP!

We really should do this Quake 3 meet up you know :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I've been meaning to get my DC online anyway. I'm not good at shooters, nor do I own Quake 3, but if it means getting me motivated to set up my DC... I might be willing to.

Quake 3 is pretty inexpensive... should I get it?
segadreamcaster

Warp2063 wrote:Quake 3 is pretty inexpensive... should I get it?
What a question :) lol...of course you should get it...it's one of the best (if not THE best) online FPS shooter games of all time...go grab urself a copy ASAP and the get yourself online :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
nick944

Post by nick944 »

I have Quake 3, 4x4 Evo, and PSO, and play them all the time at the online consoles. :)
Own:
Virtual On Netlink Edition
Sega Rally Championship Netlink Edition
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I own PSO as well... but my DC copy is sealed in its original packaging. I've also got the GameCube version and the GC broadband adapter, though, and I think I can play with the DC players that way...
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Apologies for the double post, although it has been two weeks...

I was curious as to what the controls are like for Quake III Arena. How do you move and aim? I picked up a copy of MDK2 for the DC a few days ago, and I have a really hard time dealing with using the ABXY buttons for movement and aiming with the control-stick. I didn't really play a lot of shooters on the N64, so most of my experience with shooters is on either computers or consoles with two analog sticks on a controller. I've had similar control difficulties with games like Shenmue.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

I was thinking about getting some of the online games but then if i do that i am going to need to get the broadband adapter, that might take me a while but i want to get one eventually
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I want one too... but they're really expensive. Besides, I have enough extra computers lying around to set up a DC-PC server, if I can pull it off.
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

That sounds like a good idea, and an off question, are u interested in selling your other edition of sega rally? i am having trouble finidng that one on ebay