Own a DC and use it online? (attempt 3)

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.

Do you Own a Dreamcast and Play online?

Yes I own a Dreamcast and Still play online to this day..Im so very proud
59%
Yes I own a Dreamcast, used to play online but not anymore...shoot me now I deserve it
7%
Yes I own a Dreamcast but I have never played online
28%
Used to own a Dreamcast but sold it...yes I'm really that much of an idiot
No votes
Used to own a Dreamcats but it broke and I never got off my ass to replace it
No votes
Never Owned and Dreamcast but have always Dreamed of owning one
7%
Sorry only just opened my eyes for the first time, whats a Dreamcast?
No votes
Nah not interested I a complete and utter prat who has no idea what a good games console is
No votes

Total votes: 29

segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Yeah changing the DNS can sometimes help, but not always...there should be a couple of DNS addresses that your ISP tells you to use, I take it you have tried those as well?
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

Yeah, those didn't work to well either. I can manuelly type in the servers isp's and most of them will come up like the ones in Spain. I can get the master server to respond like 1/20 times I connect.
segadreamcaster

Yeah, must just be an ISP issue then, one you will msot liekly have to put up with as long as you are with them :( pain is the neck though really as it makes playing a bit of a chore :(

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

Super...... My parents will never switch ISP's so I'll be stuck with Academic Planet until I go to college.
segadreamcaster

Well look on the bright side, it's better than no dial-up ISP at all :) so at least you can get online...plus there are the other games which will hopefully function fine :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

segadreamcaster wrote:Well look on the bright side, it's better than no dial-up ISP at all :) so at least you can get online...plus there are the other games which will hopefully function fine :)
Yeah, I guess your right. I was about to ask if it would affect the other games online but I guess theres no way for someone other than me to answer that.
segadreamcaster

Yeah, unless you know someone else with your ISP a Dreamcast and the online games there really is no way of knowing until you try it out...although could be worth asking at onlineconsoles.com first to see if anybody else uses your ISP, might save you buying any games and finding you cant use them online due to incompatabilty :( . Sadly some ISP's are incompatible with some online DC games...a real pain...but with any luck you will be ok.

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

Yeah, its basicaly an only texas ISP and I don't know of anyone on OC.com thats in Texas.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Too bad about the server problem. At the least, you can still manually enter in server IP's (as fun as that sounds).
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

Xranger60 wrote: At the least, you can still manually enter in server IP's (as fun as that sounds).
Especially with a controller
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

No kb eh? Are those things available? I would think they're cheap.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

Keyboards are cheap on eBay, but people want double the price you pay for shipping and I'm cheap and saving for a Wii.
grolt

Post by grolt »

In its day I used the DC quite a bit for online gaming. I was in there day and date when Chu Chu Rocket launched online (with that terrible 1 second placement lag) and played a number of NBA 2k1 games, as well as Quake 3 online. The keyboard interactivity was a blessing - I remember my brother and I would develop a unique strategy for NBA 2k1: He'd play and I'd taunt everyone else with typed quips. It was fun. The Quake 3 online experience on the DC was, at the time, better than the experience of most computers that were running it at the time - even with the dial-up modem. The PC at that point had reached a time where there was a huge divide between the system requirements for the high end games, and the actual specs of most systems. DC did good by of course standardizing that on a regular console, and then streamlining the online play. As far as FPS on consoles go, Quake 3 is almost unrivalled (Halo has probably since taken that mantle, but still).

My first online experience with the DC was when it and Sonic Adventure were available to rent in the summer before launch. I dialed up to the little Sonic site and remember being so excited about the possibilities of online integration the console offered. Obviously they didn't live up to their promise, but SEGA still made, for a time, a great online alternative to PC gaming with the Seganet. I have no real desire to go back, but the memories sure are fond.
Nightmare a la DC

Post by Nightmare a la DC »

I have never played online using my Dreamcast, I'm still debating over the fact if I should use my piece of a spare PC to make a PC-DC server, or hold out and try to find a BBA. I think I'm gonna go for the BBA, so I can also have a decent speed to surf the net with when my good PC is being used by someone else in my family. If I do get one soon, I would like to set-up a dedicated Q3A server for the community.
...I'll think of one later, read something else.
segadreamcaster

I still play the DC online on a very regualr basis, more or less every night in fact...I currently play maximum pool during week day nights and PSO on the weekend, although I intend to play some Starlancer tonight :)

Dreamcast online (in my opinion) is still a great place to be, sadly we only have a handful of games now, but at least the ones we have are now pretty secure :) The community around DC online is good and arrnaged games ensure some great people who are all serious about the DC, unlike most other consoles/games where its hard to get past the idiots...DC online is well worth giving a try :)

PC-DC server is the overall best option for DC play as it free, fast and supports all games, sadly the BBA will only support Quake 3 arena and PSO so it's not ideal for Game play...you also don't have that many web browser option with the BBA, but of course for browsing speed the BBA cannot be beaten, but for online play the PC-DC server works pretty well to be honest. I personally use a PC-DC server for: max pool, starlancer and 4x4 evo, but use a BBA for Quake and PSO.

I currently host 4 Quake servers, totally vanilla servers with no mods..I host one of each:

Free for all
Capture the flag
Team Deathmatch
Tourney

I run them for 9-12 hours a day here in the UK and more often than not days go by without a single visitor :( sad really but that is the situation...Although it does have to be said that most players come online just as I turn my servers off (as im in the UK) :( . Still worth doing though so UK players now have a good place to play some original Quake online when they feel the need and of course others can use as well..but if you do host a server, don't expect too much traffic :(

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman