Direct Dial DC

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
Overwatch

Direct Dial DC

Post by Overwatch »

Is there any way to use direct dial for online dreamcast games like in the XBand?
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

No, sadly no...Dreamcast rely on servers in order to connect, so the software would simply not undstand what to do with a direct connection :( But at least there are still a few DC games online :)
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

segadreamcaster wrote: But at least there are still a few DC games online :)
Got that right!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I remember reading in gamepro that Sega was going to implement the protocols for direct dialing in Summer of 2000. I wanted nothing more, because with a 56K modem direct dialing would have been flawless, and there were enough DC users that it wouldn't be a problem finding local opponents. I think this was a huge blunder on Sega's part.

Instead of creating their own ISP, "Seganet", they could have made a matching service that DC users dial into that would then automatically connect the Dreamcast with a direct dial player, Xband style. This was done in Japan.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
bawitback

Post by bawitback »

I've been away from my Sega Dreamcast for some time. I came across this wikipedia article claiming to "dial in to games". More specifically, Bomberman Online:
Bomberman Online (not to be confused with Online Bomberman) is a multiplayer game for the Sega Dreamcast. It adds new ideas to the original formula with online play, new playing fields, and other extras. Bomberman Online's servers were shut down in 2002 but the game still supports direct connection over phone lines allowing players to dial in to games.

So it instantly spaked the sega flame in my empty soul to visit OnlineConsoles (sorry guys) to find if this was true or not. But since I havn't logged in for months, they have unactivated my account (pricks..) So, has anyone tried dialing in, is this possible? I've also got more inspiration from reading previous issues (volume 5) of Official Sega Dreamcast magazine that reassues readings how 'easy' it was to login with SegaNet ISP or your own. Is it still possible.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Think that information is a little confused...no the DC version never supported direct dial, which is a real shame..would love to play :( they must have been thinking of saturn bomberman.
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
bawitback

Post by bawitback »

segadreamcaster wrote:Think that information is a little confused...no the DC version never supported direct dial, which is a real shame..would love to play :( they must have been thinking of saturn bomberman.
ahh, alright.. my eternal flame is dim yet again :(
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I wonder how hard it is to set up servers for Dreamcast games... I know that there are servers for Phantasy Star Online... which I'd assume to be a much more complicated game to run a server for...
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Unless communications are captured or one acquires the source code for the original servers, it's usually very hard. This type of thing has to be reverse engineered, which proves difficult.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Xranger60 wrote:Unless communications are captured or one acquires the source code for the original servers, it's usually very hard. This type of thing has to be reverse engineered, which proves difficult.
I figured that much out. Well, this probably won't be a project I attempt for a while. I have another one to get working first.
blast

Post by blast »

segadreamcaster wrote:Think that information is a little confused...no the DC version never supported direct dial, which is a real shame..would love to play :( they must have been thinking of saturn bomberman.
Yup, the only slightly interesting this is that DC BMO has a field in which you can enter a different server address but as all server versions are down and there is no way to create one it leaves you wondering what the point in that field was. I suppose the only slight use this might ever have is if a miracle happened and snap got leaked or back engineered you wouldent need to hack bomerman to find the new servers.