Finished my first Dreamcast game

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
Scooter

Finished my first Dreamcast game

Post by Scooter »

Okay, I only got my Dreamcast this past February. Back in the day I had to decide between PS2 and Dreamcast and it was clear pretty fast that the PS2 was going to be the long term winner. I really like my PS2.

Anyway, I've been building up my Sega collection (Game Gear, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn) recently and thought it was time to get a Dreamcast. Sega Parts sells a brand new (refurbished) unit for $55.00 so I couldn't go wrong. I really like my Dreamcast. I've collected about 8-9 games thus far. I've worked into a few of them but I liked D2 the most so I found some spare time (which is rare lately) and played through it over the past few days.

D2 is a little heavy on the movies and light on the game play but I did like it. It always feels so good to complete a game!

I recently (finally) got Saturn Bomberman so I'll have to spend some time with that one next.
grolt

Re: Finished my first Dreamcast game

Post by grolt »

Scooter wrote:Okay, I only got my Dreamcast this past February. Back in the day I had to decide between PS2 and Dreamcast and it was clear pretty fast that the PS2 was going to be the long term winner. I really like my PS2.

Anyway, I've been building up my Sega collection (Game Gear, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn) recently and thought it was time to get a Dreamcast. Sega Parts sells a brand new (refurbished) unit for $55.00 so I couldn't go wrong. I really like my Dreamcast. I've collected about 8-9 games thus far. I've worked into a few of them but I liked D2 the most so I found some spare time (which is rare lately) and played through it over the past few days.

D2 is a little heavy on the movies and light on the game play but I did like it. It always feels so good to complete a game!

I recently (finally) got Saturn Bomberman so I'll have to spend some time with that one next.
I loved the first D on Saturn, and always intended to play this one. Lukewarm reviews, and an outdoor setting (I loved those labyrinthine interiors in the first game) kind of turned me off though. How does D2 compare to the first?
That's fly.
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

Congrats. The first game I finished was Iron Aces.
Scooter

Re: Finished my first Dreamcast game

Post by Scooter »

grolt wrote:
Scooter wrote:Okay, I only got my Dreamcast this past February. Back in the day I had to decide between PS2 and Dreamcast and it was clear pretty fast that the PS2 was going to be the long term winner. I really like my PS2.

I loved the first D on Saturn, and always intended to play this one. Lukewarm reviews, and an outdoor setting (I loved those labyrinthine interiors in the first game) kind of turned me off though. How does D2 compare to the first?
Personally, I'd say that D2 is better than D. I've played through D multiple times to get the various endings. It was interesting in its day, but seems a little clunky now. D2 is much more of a wide open game. D2 is more like an interactive movie than a game. Some of the videos are over 20 minutes long! Luckily you can pause these videos while they are playing so you don't have to miss anything if you get interupted.

I got my copy for less than $15 and it's like new. At that price it was a bargain and was entertaining while it lasted. The puzzles in D were at times pretty hard to figure out (finding the clues was sometimes hard) and D2 doesn't really tax you in the same way. D2 also has a much more substantial story which I like. Typically, I like games with a strong story to drive the game play, but the lengthy movies got a little long winded even for me. If you liked the maze-like interiors of D, D2 still can provide that same experience albeit in an outdoor setting. There are large environments to explore with lots to see.

The images portrayed in the dream sequences are pretty movie-like and the story brought along a few twists I didn't see coming. The battle sequences got to be a little tedious since they really weren't much different from spot to spot and all the monsters were pretty much the same. One clue: save your shotgun for the gold miner monsters and the birds, don't waste the shotgun on anything else. Don't bother using the bigger weapons on the bosses, just use whatever unlimted ammo weapon you have at the time on them. Oh, and hone your game hunting skills to provide survival supplies which will make the game easier to get through. Skip the big game and concentrate on the rabbits using the scope to zoom in on them.

D2 short recap: great images and a nice story to drive the game along. If you are big into non-stop action, this one may not be your cup of tea.