How do you play imports on a Dreamcast?

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
Scooter

How do you play imports on a Dreamcast?

Post by Scooter »

I have an opportunity to get a great import DC game but I want to make sure I'll be able to play it. I've heard of using a boot disc to play imports but I don't quite understand it. How does the process work (it's not like doing the disc swap in a Saturn is it?) and where can I locate a boot disc?

TIA.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Hey,

Yeah using a boot disc on a Dreamcast is very straight forward, its simply a case of inserting the boot disc, waiting for it to boot and then opening up the drive and replacing the boopt up disc with the import...simple as that.

The process can vary depending on what boot disc you use, but its essentially very simple, you can use utopia, codebreaker, action replay etc.

here is a link to some downloads:

http://www.megagames.com/dc/dc_utils_bootcd.shtml

Havent tried those myself, but they should work
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Okay, I downloaded Alcohol 120% and created a Utopia bootdisc. I put the bootdisc in my Dreamcast and it keeps saying "please insert a game disc". In otherwords, I don't think the bootdisc is working. If the bootdisc works, should I see any signs on the screen or does it just work without showing any signs of having done anything?

I have a Euro version of Shenue II coming this week and I dearly want to play it on my US machine. If my bootdisc doesn't work I'm not sure what to try next. Is there anyone who would be willing to make me a boot disc that they know will work? I'd be happy to pay shipping and a few bucks for the CD-R and your trouble.

I can also buy a brand new Action Replay but with shipping it would cost me about $40.00 so I'm trying to find a simpler solution.

TIA
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Hey,

Yeah it should load up and then tell you to inset the game disc, but if you are still on the main DC bios area then there is a problem..what speed did you burn the disc at? DC's tend to need CD's to be burned slowly...no faster than 8x preferbaly 4x or lower.

Also, if that isnt the case, try burning onto a different bradn of CD-r, the Dc can also be picky about the bradns it will play, especially cheap brands :(

Finally, when you burn it with alcohol 120% I assume you are using the "image burning wizard"?

If all else fails, I will send you a disc through, but of course it would be better if someone else does it as I am in the UK
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I burned it with the Imaging Wizard at 2x speed. I've had trouble with this CD-R burner when burning anything but simple data. When I try to view the contents of the disc on my computer it shows nothing.

There is someone on ebay selling a boot disc for just a few bucks so I may try that. He says it allows a US system to play Jap imports but he isn't sure if allows me to play Euro imports. (If he's selling the things you'd think he'd know what they are capable of.)