Petition to get the Unreal Tournament's dedicated servers!

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
XL2K5

Petition to get the Unreal Tournament's dedicated servers!

Post by XL2K5 »

I started an online petition to get UT's dedicated server software.
Instead of wasting too much time trying to make one, I thought that I would make better use of my time to just post a petition to try to get the server software released.
I didn't try to contact Epic directly, but I'm pretty sure others did and didn't get the software.
Please, sign it and try to advertise it in as many Dreamcast related websites as possible!
I'm pretty sure that if we can get around 1 000 signatures, Epic would want to either simply give us the software, or at least give us more informations so that we can build our own server using the PC's version's dedicated server. (Like to convert maps, things like that)
Also please note that english isn't my mother tongue, my sentences might be weird and full of mistakes, so please don't hesitage to suggest modifications to the petition's text.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/UTDCOnline/

Sign it and leave a message each time, so that it looks more realistic, like not just some random people who don't give a shit sign there or something.
Thanks!
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally Championship : NetLink Edition
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On : NetLink Edition
nick944

Post by nick944 »

You might want to give up. Unreal Tournaments servers were run directly by SEGA, who eventually sold the server code to Nokia. There is absolutely no way to bring it back. http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com There has been many topics about it, the only games that can be online are already online.
Own:
Virtual On Netlink Edition
Sega Rally Championship Netlink Edition
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

It's usually very hard to get companies to release anything when it comes to offline games. There needs to be massive public support to justify spending any sort of money or time to do it. When Resident Evil Outbreak and its sequel were taken offline, there were petitions and the like to bring it back in the form of Capcom or their hosting company releasing the server code, but from the beginning we all knew it was extremely unlikely. This was on a newer system that would have a bigger crowd playing. I know the pain though.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
nick944

Post by nick944 »

oops, sorry gamespy ran the UT server, and the online consoles website is currently working on makeing a working server.
Own:
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

Yes, you are talking about SNAP, but it wasn't the case with UT.
UT servers were made by Epic/Secret Levels, but ran on SegaNet servers. (I guess Epic didn't want to waste money with the servers so they let Sega run them)
The main difference with a game like Resident Evil is that RE doesn't use almost a modified PC server, but UT does (it must, I see no reasons for them to remake a different server software, since it uses the same engine)
So that's why I also wrote that if there's no way they can release it for legal reasons, then they could help us a little bit by explaining how they modified the original servers.
I am trying to make one (but I try to gather informations first, and I looked at the structure of the files for the Dc version)
Some people managed to make one server that could be seen from the master list.
So really, it's possible it works, but it would be stupid of me to waste many hours making that (and others too) when we could also try a petition.
So please, take 2 minutes to sign the petition.
If it works, then everything's perfect, if it doesn't work, well, we won't have wasted too much time. I would like to reach 1 000 signatures before may if possible, since I don't want to waste too much time trying to make a server.
Also, guys from Dcarena have been trying to make a server for it, but they don't seem too motivated working on it, but if you have access to their forums (I tried but they still didn't approve my registration after a few days) please post that petition's link on their website, to speed up a little bit everything.
Thanks!
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
nick944

Post by nick944 »

Actually the servers were made and ran completely by Gamespy.
Own:
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

I know that the servers used Gamespy, but they were hosted by SegaNet.
Gamespy is used for master lists, like to find other players.
Epic/Secret Level made the server for sure, since it's their engine and they made the game, but Sega ran the server, if my memory is right
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman