Complete List of Dreamcast games that are STILL ONLINE!!!!!

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
segadreamcaster

Complete List of Dreamcast games that are STILL ONLINE!!!!!

Post by segadreamcaster »

Hi,

Ok, well I thought I would make a thread about this as many people are probably still unaware of the fact that the Dreamcast is still alive and kicking in the online arena :) so here it goes.

Quake III Arena (USA NTSC version only):

Yes, Quake 3 Arena is still online for the Dreamcast usually with about 5-10 servers available most of the time. There is usually someone to play on Quake 3 Arena although sometimes it can be a little dead so it might be worth arranging a meetup if you want to be sure of finding someone to Frag :). The game has full Support for both the traditional Dial-up modem and the Broadband adapter (BBA). Sadly the european (PAL) version of this game went offline in April 2004 due to the Dreamarena authentication servers being shut down, rendering it useless, so european players will need to import the US version. The game also allows cross play with PC players.

Phantasy Star Online V1&2 (PAL European versions only):

Wow, Phantasy star online (PSO) is still probably the ultimate online RPG for a games console and here it is, still online on its home system :). Phantasy Star online is Still online in both Europe (PAL regions) and Japan, sadly it has been offline in the USA since the 1st of October 2003. In order to play on the official EU PAL servers you will need a European PAL version of either V1 or V2 of the game. If you decide to purchase one, please keep in mind that you will need brand new Serial number and access keys (SNAK's) so try to buy a brand new copy especially if you get V1 as new V1 codes are now very hard to come by. I suggest purchasing V2 as it is the best version and allows you to play more people online. At present there are a total of 4 ships still online (2 Japanese & 2 European) there are usually between 10-30 people online most of which are Japanese players. Although the game does have support for the Broadband adapter it doesnt officially support it...confused...lol...basically PSO has a built in browser that has BBA support so if you use the correct browser (Dreampassport or XDP) to enter the broadband details you can use the BBA to get online, despite the fact you will not see any mention of this on the game itself or the manual. Dial-up is obviously also compatible :)

Please note: There are unofficial methods of playing online with the USA NTSC versions of quake 3 arena but involve the use of cheats/hacks

Starlancer:

Still online in all regions, works via gamespy and is a fantastic game online. Sadly there are very few people playing Starlancer so a pre-arranged meeting is necessary. Dial-up Only sadly :(. The game also allows cross play with PC players.

4x4 Evolution (Only released in the USA):

This game also works via gamespy and is still pretty active online due to its cross compatability with the PC version...usually 10-30 players online at all times, but watch out for cheaters when playing PC players. The demo version of this game also works online but only has a small number of trucks and tracks available. Dial-up only.

Maximum Pool (Only released in the USA):

On the 17th of June 2005 Maximum pool was put back online for Dreamcast players, which I personally played a part in...I know I know...how great am I...lol (nah didnt do much really just moaned A LOT). This game went offline some time back when the server IP addresses were changed and the DC was trying to connect to the wrong place...this was then solved by editing the IP addresses in a save file so that the DC version contacted the correct IP's and so the game sprung back to life. This is the Dreamcasts most active online title (largely due to being PC compatible) with well over 100 players at all times on the various servers. To play you will need to download the patch file. Dial-up only.

Sega Swirl:

Not much to say really, odd little puzzle game which works over POP3 E-mail :)

The Future of the remaining games:

Quake III Arena:

Quake has the option enter a server IP address manually, so it will always be possible to host servers with a PC and then connect via the DC, so essentially this game is online forever...the master server could one day go offline, but as its such a massively popular game with PC players that will not happen any time soon.

Officially online forever (USA NTSC version only)

PSO:

Eventually PSO will be taken offline by Sonic team, however, research has been carried out and has proven that the PAL EU version of the game will be the only version that will be able to run on private servers after the japanese "Dricas" servers are closed down because the US and Japanese versions both require it whilst the EU versiosn never used it. This means that even when the servers do go offline it will be possible to host your own server via a PC using already freely available server software, just like quake 3 :)

Officially online forever (PAL versions only)

Starlancer:

Lordnikon of onlineconsoles.com has managed to create server software to perfectly run private servers for starlancer even when Gamespy eventually stops support, so this game is safe.

Should be Online forever

4x4 Evolution:

This game also supports direct IP connections so it will always be possible to host a game and connect manually even if/when the official server goes offline.

Officially online forever

Maximum Pool:

A guy called Tino over at Pauth.com has server software for maximum pool and assures me that he will not let this game go offline.

Should be online forever

Sega swirl:

Speaks for itself really....for as long as POP3 email exists so will this game

Officially online forever

Cheers, Craig
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
blueshinobi

Post by blueshinobi »

Thanks man. :o
SEGA - Now With 20% More SONIC!!
segadreamcaster

No problem at all, hopefully this will help clear up most issues about Dreamcast online :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
blueshinobi

Post by blueshinobi »

segadreamcaster wrote:No problem at all, hopefully this will help clear up most issues about Dreamcast online :)
Yeah, I thought Quake went offline when seganet closed.
segadreamcaster

The Seganet master server went down which the Dreamcast used, but luckily the developers programmed the Dreamcast with both the Seganet master server and the standard "ID software" master server as well, so when the DC requests a server list from the seganet server and receives no response it asks the ID server instead, which is the same master server as the PC uses :) and of course (as said above) as long as there are people hosting DC maps on their PC's the DC will always have servers to connect to :)
Last edited by segadreamcaster on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
blueshinobi

Post by blueshinobi »

segadreamcaster wrote:The Seganet master server went down which the Dreamcast used, but luckily the developers programmed the Dreamcast with both the Seganet master server and the standard "ID software" master server as well, so when the DC requests a server list from the seganet server and receives no response it asks the ID server instead, which is the same master server as the PC uses :)
Oh, lol.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Segadreamcaster, I'm thinking of posting your guide into the Guides section. You would get full credit of course. It is ideal since you have much more experience with the DC online games then I do, although I used to play back in the day!
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
blueshinobi

Post by blueshinobi »

Xranger60 wrote:Segadreamcaster, I'm thinking of posting your guide into the Guides section. You would get full credit of course. It is ideal since you have much more experience with the DC online games then I do, although I used to play back in the day!
LOL, back in the day.
segadreamcaster

Xranger60 wrote:Segadreamcaster, I'm thinking of posting your guide into the Guides section. You would get full credit of course. It is ideal since you have much more experience with the DC online games then I do, although I used to play back in the day!
Yeah your more than welcome to use it as you please.... :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
blueshinobi

Post by blueshinobi »

I should add some to the site too.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

If you think you have something good to contribute, just PM me to make sure before you start working on it.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
blueshinobi

Post by blueshinobi »

Xranger60 wrote:If you think you have something good to contribute, just PM me to make sure before you start working on it.
Ok, boss.
Cobracf2

PSO online forever all versions

Post by Cobracf2 »

here is a pretty good homebrew server for PSO on dreamcast which has also been crossed compatable with the gamecube. there are hundreds of players online there every night playing on pc, dreamcast and gamecube take a look its pretty cool ive played here on dreamcast and pc version:

http://www.schtserv.com/

they tell you exactly how to connect using dreamcast either dial up or broadband. If you have experience with the codebreaker on dreamcast its a lock you will get on
I have sega rally, virtual on, duke nukem all warmed up and ready to go. its been years so I am a little rusty take it easy on the old man LOL