My Second Dreamcast

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

@ xDerekRx: Heh. Emulators are tough. I've never successfully written one. If I try, it probably won't be for the PSP. The Saturn would be especially hard... so many chips... :( If I even decide to try, it won't be for quite a while. I'm working on at least two or three other programming/hardware projects at the moment, and I have potential ones in mind. I also have other side projects that don't involve programming or building hardware. I'm not in a hurry to pick up another one.

@ Xranger60: Ah. The PSP does have potential... but I've never been happy with it as a system. Everything about it seems sluggish; even playing games from the memory card. I prefer responsiveness. I'll keep it in mind, but it's not a direction I think I want to head in. The DS is a much more enjoyable system for me.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I am just continually wowed by what's been done with the PSP. A full speed PS1 emulator that plays many games perfectly, a youtube video program (that also does other sites), IRC client, CPS1 and 2 emulators, an MVS emulator (all working full speed), a Telnet client, VNC client ,aim client, email, countless ports (Like Duke Nukem and Doom, Quake), I'm not so impressed with the PSP native games library, that's for sure.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I agree Xranger PSP is a homebrew heaven
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It may be a homebrew heaven, but I still don't enjoy using it for anything.

With the rare exception of a game I want to play. But even then, it's still an internal conflict.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Hehe I dont think we care what you think about it =)

But its a sweet little hacker handheld console. Being able to play flawless PS1 games on it is like a dream. If someone could get a Saturn one playing like the PS1 one, Id pass out.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

While there were unofficial PS1 emulators for the PSP, Sony made an official one. That's probably the one you're referring to. I've used it for a couple games before (although the lack of extra trigger buttons and a second thumbstick makes some games next-to-impossible.)

I just don't think a flawless Saturn emulator could be made for the PSP. Too much to emulate on too limited a piece of hardware. Don't get me wrong- I could be mistaken. But I don't think it's feasible.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp2063 wrote:While there were unofficial PS1 emulators for the PSP, Sony made an official one. That's probably the one you're referring to. I've used it for a couple games before (although the lack of extra trigger buttons and a second thumbstick makes some games next-to-impossible.)

I just don't think a flawless Saturn emulator could be made for the PSP. Too much to emulate on too limited a piece of hardware. Don't get me wrong- I could be mistaken. But I don't think it's feasible.
Are you talking about the official one that lets you download from your PS3 and then play on your PSP?

The only thing I hate about that one is there is such a limited library. Although I believe some hackers got to that emulator.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Yes. The official Sony emulator was modified so that you could play any PS1 game with it. I have FF1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Metal Gear Solid on there. Granted, MGS is one of those ones that you want the L2/R2 triggers for, so while it runs, controlling it isn't the easiest.

In fact, while I haven't looked hard, I haven't heard of any other PS1 emulators for the PSP in quite a while. I know there were some in the works, way back when, but I think most people went to the modified official one.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

How do I go about hacking that onto my system. I want the official hacked one. Im almost more interested in games like Doom on the go, the PSX version etc with a more limited control scheme. I have a PSP 2001
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Derek, I can give you the info you need. But before I do- you really didn't know you could use the PS1 sony emulator with almost any game? You've been missing out man!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Xranger60 wrote:Derek, I can give you the info you need. But before I do- you really didn't know you could use the PS1 sony emulator with almost any game? You've been missing out man!
Yeah I havent paid much attention to my PSP in a while but please do send the info. PM if you have to!!
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Another thing that I keep realizing about myself, then forgetting about, is my absolute interest in older systems. The NetLink, XBand, and Saturn projects drew me to this site. Programming for the 360, Wii, PSP, PC, and iPhone just don't appeal to me all that much.

A project like this, however...:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfHHLfbjNQ

... I almost bought a ZX Spectrum off of eBay immediately after seeing this video. I'm still VERY tempted to. I did actually make a hard drive speaker once, and would love to do a project like this. I actually have a spare scanner, used to have a couple dot matrix printers... and I have some old Atari systems lying around... plenty of old hard drives, floppy drives... I've thought of making a microcontroller into a music system...

Darn. Too many other projects right now. But I am VERY tempted. Filed away in that pile of projects I'd love to do someday.

*Pulls out system manual to one of his Atari systems and reads the section on expansion ports*
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Hey Derek, no need for PM. Thankfully, the process has become MUCH simpler to encode ISO into Eboot format for play on PSP. Just process your PSX ISO with this

http://dl.qj.net/Simple-Popstation-GUI- ... /catid/192

Have fun!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Hey Ranger thanks. Do I need anything else for that program or do I just run the ISOs through it?

Also its been about a year since I homebrewed. So Im really lost here

1. Do I need to download the official emulator and hack it somehow?
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Nope. The program will take the ISO and produce an eboot file that can be transferred to the PSP for play. No other action is necessary.