Phantasy Star Online Version 2

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
Trip Mercy

Phantasy Star Online Version 2

Post by Trip Mercy »

Is there an offline mode for this game?
Manji

Post by Manji »

yea there is an offline mode. i love phantasy star online and i still play it.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I would enjoy it a lot more if the graphics didn't hurt my eyes. :( The gameplay is great; the animations and graphics less so.

It's hard to explain my viewpoint... everything in that game just looks... wrong to me. There are plenty of other games from the same time period that look just fine... and this one certainly doesn't look bad... there's just something about it that grates on me. :/ I think the graphics would either have to be smoother or less realistic and more stylized to make me happier. *shrugs*

Don't hate me; I don't hate the game. It's just difficult for me to look at.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

I absolutely agree with you Warp....but I still love the game...you just cant play for hours straight....or your eyes bleed.....or at least get bloodshot <.<
Manji

Post by Manji »

:shock:

i really like the look and design actually. it's one of the things which draws me further into the game. i think everything blends together rather nicely and the soundtrack completes the package. really great stuff.

i agree some of the animations could have been treated better, but all in all, a fantastic looking game to me. its too bad the DC didnt get episode 2 because the environments received a great graphical boost. however it probably wouldn't have been enough to change your mind about the graphics since it retains the same overall style in characters/animations. i will admit that at first i wasnt too thrilled about the look of certain things but it grew on me and now i feel its very original and distinctively PSO.

of course it's a lot better when you have someone to enjoy it with but offline is pretty good fun.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I wish I could play this game online! I still haven't managed to find a free dial up ISP that'll work wit hthe DC, and setting up the PC-DC server is to involved for me lol. Like I've thought about dropping the cash for a BBA....I'd kill to play PSO online though.
Game collection on my site.
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

Too play PSO v2 online you can only use the EU version now.....near the end of last year/beginning of this year SEGA shut down some server that US v2 and JP v2 need to connect.....so the only version playable online are USv1, EUv1 and v2....and Im not sure about the JP ones, but I know JP v2 can't be played online. And if you want a BBA eventually, you might as well get one now...they only keep going up in price, I'm glad I got mine for 100 <.<
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

V2 on the GameCube is still playable, at least on the private server that I use.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

I thought we were talking about Dreamcast though <.<
Everything is still playable on Gamecube because, it's all one game and because it didn't use those servers for authentification. And Xbox has been screwed forever becauseof XboxLive, in other words....PSO on Xbox is dead forever until somebody can emulate the XboxLive servers. Do you play on Schtack or another one?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Schthack.

I personally don't see a point in reviving the Xbox version. How many people actually own it? (Besides me...) Would it be worth the effort? Especially because there's no offline mode.
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

That's why no one's trying it....lol. Cause it's the same as the Gamecube version, and since Gamecube works...who cares?
grolt

Post by grolt »

Well, over Christmas (which is awhile ago, now!) I finally was able to sit down and catch up with my old Dreamcast. It was pretty great. I brought in my suitcase a handful of games I'd always been meaning to master, and finally I had the chance to crack a lot of them. I first fired up Ecco: Defender of the Future, since I wanted a lighter game to draw me in. Mission accomplished. Next it was Shenmue. There was something special about playing that over the Christmas break and seeing the city change around Christmas with all the people and environments responding to the event in real time. Awesome. Beautiful game. It's a slow burn, and in fact my family had fun ribbing on the fact that the majority of it was me just running around, but I had a blast. I never thought I'd have so much fun "working" and trying to stack those boxes in record time. I was sort of hoping it wouldn't end.

Anyway, once I finished Shenmue, I finally put in the one I'd really been waiting for...Phantasy Star Online. I followed the advice of this thread and started up a character on USv1 to make sure I could play it online down the road when I finally was able to track down a BBA. Even just offline, I had such a fun time with the game. The challenges were a nice way to give a little purpose to back up the basic hack'n slash formula, and I think Sonic Team did a great job of just really fleshing out that world. It felt like a real, breathing world rather than some simple game construct. I only now wish I could have been there at the game's online height. As a tangent, I'm feeling that now too for Phantasy Star Universe, which looks to be dwindling down with anticipation of a follow up looming.

Anyway, PSO is a pretty special game, and I'm hoping to be able to devote more time to it soon. But for the last couple months since playing it I've been trying to track down a BBA for cheap...yeah, not happening. I'll eventually take the plunge, but it's tough to have to pony up so much for a pretty rudimentary device on an otherwise cheap and fairly modern console. Ahh well. Anyway, I thought I'd share the experience; it was a special one for me!
That's fly.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I wish I could play this game online! I still haven't managed to find a free dial up ISP that'll work wit hthe DC, and setting up the PC-DC server is to involved for me lol. Like I've thought about dropping the cash for a BBA....I'd kill to play PSO online though.
the broadband adaptors have kept there value in the past 10-12 years, they are still at least $150+
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

I was so pumped when I got my BBA two years ago for only 110 bucks <.<
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I can't remember how much I paid, but I know it was less than $150. They came down in price less than a year ago. I think I paid closer to $100.