The Best Dreamcast Homebrew Games

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
katsujinken

The Best Dreamcast Homebrew Games

Post by katsujinken »

Hi everyone,
With the 10th anniversary of the Dreamcast, many video game journalism web site have posted articles about the history of the Dreamcast and all mention how it lives on through homebrew. Yet none of these site have discussed what homebrew titles are available, which they feel are the best or where to find them. What do you all think are some of the best Dreamcast Homebrew titles that the rest of us should look into?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Other than utilities like an advanced VMU tool (gives some very nice options for setting the VMU's wallpaper and allowing for copying and moving locked files) and a cd region defeater tool (which I use to play my imports), I haven't used any homebrew software on my Dreamcast yet.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

i can't think of too many homebrew titles, but i've heard decent things about Last Hope. its a shooter game in the vein of classics like R-Type and Pulstar. i love shooting games so i'd actually like to play that one someday.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Oh, if you're talking about things like Last Hope... those are a bit closer to commercial releases than regular homebrew. Actually, they ARE commercial releases - just not licensed by Sega. I know a guy who's really big into picking all those shmups that have come out on the DC after Sega got out of it. Karous is one of two other ones that I know of, although I can't remember the name of the second at the moment...
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
katsujinken

Post by katsujinken »

Well sure we can include some aftermarket games here as well. I haven't tried any real homebrew either which is why I want to know. Although I have tried the homebrew Sonic Megamaix for SEGA CD and that is pretty fucking awesome actually and you should all give it a try on emulation if nothing else.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I was unaware of Sonic Megamix. I'll be looking into that...
katsujinken

Post by katsujinken »

Warp2063 wrote:I was unaware of Sonic Megamix. I'll be looking into that...
oh ya, if you have access to a ROM flasher you can put it on an actual Genesis cart too. here's a vid of someone playing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLE5XFkbN6U
Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight

Post by Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight »

Alice Dreams had a lot of promise but it's been sidetracked by it's mini-games for years.
I lost all my teeth in a deathmatch because... I'm straight teeth are for gay people, that's why fairies come and get 'em.

Duke 3D & Bomberman