original xbox vs dreamcast poll

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.

do you think if sega kept making games for dreamcast and made newer systems that they could of crushed microsofts xbox?

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes: 6

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

segasaturndude wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:I kept my Xbox, partly so I could play the US version of Shenmue II.
too bad microsoft got stupid and shut off the original xbox live.
I don't believe it had any live features, at least that I remember. Besides, it didn't make sense to keep supporting a service that didn't get much use anymore.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

it had live features and it had alot of people playing different games on live with me, microsoft pissed me off when they shut off live, and they never reimbursed me for the 2 month live card i had on the system.
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

What were the live features?

And you know almost any digital service you pay for is nonrefundable, right?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

You know Shenmue had a 4th disc, (I dont know what it was called) but you could get some ingame items if you were abled to find the "golden can". Ryo even told you: " Oh,I won!" I think they included this feature in Shenmue 2, Im not quite sure though...
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

it was unique, i really liked the way the live menus looked like on the original Xbox. if and when you had a live membership which i had, when you start the xbox and click on live it would bring you to the menu, ill give you guys a link so you can see it.- http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXI ... zed(1).jpg

Its live features paved way for the Xbox 360 live, as it had voice chat, friends list, account management. Its menus looked so more badass then the Xbox 360's if you know what i mean 8). in my opinion the Xbox was the last badass/hardcore gaming console, as everything now is more family based than hardcore gamer based. when playing games that are live enabled you play online, and had downloadable content and voice features, so you could talk to other players online just like the xbox 360. it was way ahead of its time and would of been great if microsoft hadnt of screwed up with Nvidia causing them to kill the xbox early, hear some background info on that-

In 2002 Microsoft and Nvidia entered arbitration over a dispute on the pricing of Nvidia's chips for the Xbox. Nvidia's filing with the SEC indicated that Microsoft was seeking a US$13 million discount on shipments for NVIDIA's fiscal year 2002. Microsoft alleged violations of the agreement the two companies entered, sought reduced chipset pricing, and sought to ensure that Nvidia fulfill Microsoft's chipset orders without limits on quantity. The matter was privately settled on February 6, 2003

Warp2063 wrote:What were the live features?

And you know almost any digital service you pay for is nonrefundable, right?
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

The day they shut down original Xbox Live, was the day I stopped paying for Live on my 360. (I played the shit out of Halo 2)
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

i hope soon that microsoft releases there old xbox live server software so that gamers and the public can create there own servers, that or i hope someone finally makes there own xbox live server emulator, when that day comes i shall be there to play xbox live again :)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I can guarantee that Microsoft won't release it - hell would have to freeze over first. As for recreating the service... Each Xbox would have to be modded in order to override the attempted connection to Microsoft's Live servers. Either that or you would need a computer running in the background, intercepting and retransmitting packets to the new IP destination. Server software would need to be developed, and the person running the server would likely need an incredibly expensive amount of bandwidth.

Assuming you can break the encryption, it shouldn't be that hard to deal with the packets - and I'm betting it is possible because there were definitely hackers. I don't know what methods they used, however. Then there's the issue of developing the server software.

All in all, I don't think this project would be terribly difficult. Xboxes are pretty easy to hack. Hackers should already know something about the service. The hard parts would be creating the server (unknown difficulty), finding someone willing to host (depends on server requirements), finding a way to pay for bandwidth costs for the server (ha!)... Oh, yeah, and finding a way to keep one of the world's largest corporations from trying to sue you (ROFL).

Edit: Sue is probably too strong of a word. At the very least I'd expect a cease-and-desist letter. Persistent types might get into true legal trouble... and that could involve lawsuits.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

http://www.xbconnect.com/

If you're interested in playing original Xbox games online still check out these services. THey're free alternatives to live. Basically what the do is let you play System link games online. I tried setting up Xbox Connect once but didn't get very far as my interest level was pretty low. :D

But they're free alternatives to live and most Xbox live games supported System link so there should be a good amount of games to play.
Game collection on my site.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

it didn't stop people on Sega Dreamcast from making there own private servers did they?!

Warp2063 wrote:I can guarantee that Microsoft won't release it - hell would have to freeze over first. As for recreating the service... Each Xbox would have to be modded in order to override the attempted connection to Microsoft's Live servers. Either that or you would need a computer running in the background, intercepting and retransmitting packets to the new IP destination. Server software would need to be developed, and the person running the server would likely need an incredibly expensive amount of bandwidth.

Assuming you can break the encryption, it shouldn't be that hard to deal with the packets - and I'm betting it is possible because there were definitely hackers. I don't know what methods they used, however. Then there's the issue of developing the server software.

All in all, I don't think this project would be terribly difficult. Xboxes are pretty easy to hack. Hackers should already know something about the service. The hard parts would be creating the server (unknown difficulty), finding someone willing to host (depends on server requirements), finding a way to pay for bandwidth costs for the server (ha!)... Oh, yeah, and finding a way to keep one of the world's largest corporations from trying to sue you (ROFL).

Edit: Sue is probably too strong of a word. At the very least I'd expect a cease-and-desist letter. Persistent types might get into true legal trouble... and that could involve lawsuits.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Ehem let me try again.

"http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

http://www.xbconnect.com/

If you're interested in playing original Xbox games online still check out these services. THey're free alternatives to live. Basically what the do is let you play System link games online. I tried setting up Xbox Connect once but didn't get very far as my interest level was pretty low.

But they're free alternatives to live and most Xbox live games supported System link so there should be a good amount of games to play."

Also I don't think you need to mod your xbox to use these services. You just run a program on your PC on the same network. Even if you do have to mod your Xbox it takes no time at all I modded 2 xboxes this morning in about 10 minutes.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

segasaturndude wrote:it didn't stop people on Sega Dreamcast from making there own private servers did they?!
No, it didn't, but Microsoft has a much larger lawyer team, tons more money for lawsuits, and a vested interest in their XBOX Live brand name. I don't think they'll take kindly to people trying to create a replacement for the older service that their current one is based on. On top of that, Sega was only providing servers for a few select games. A couple other companies provided servers for their own games, or outsourced it to another service. Sega didn't use a unified service like Microsoft did when they created XBOX Live. Also, Sega is no longer in the console business - I don't think they actively serve any games at this point. They used to serve Phantasy Star Universe, but as I understand it, that service is only available still on XBOX Live.

In response to Jerry -

No, neither one of those services requires you to use a modified system. Original hardware works fine. For some reason, I feel like I posted about these two services before, but I can't remember where. Either way, they're both free, and you just have to run the software on your computer. Sometimes there's a little more setup involved, but it's usually pretty easy.