original xbox vs dreamcast poll

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.

do you think if sega kept making games for dreamcast and made newer systems that they could of crushed microsofts xbox?

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes: 6

segasaturndude

original xbox vs dreamcast poll

Post by segasaturndude »

do you think if sega kept making games for dreamcast and made newer systems that they could of crushed microsofts xbox?
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

This isn't a very unbiased poll.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

No way. The only reason the Xbox and Xbox 360 exist is because Microsoft pumped so much money into it. Sega Sammy can't compete with their money mountain. And comparing the Dreamcast to the Xbox those are the weakest and strongest pieces of hardware that generation so that wouldn't have helped Sega's chances.
Game collection on my site.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Yeah, Microsoft was the juggernaut entering the ring. Sega already had trouble spending enough to compete with Sony... even if Sega were to be flush with cash, Microsoft also had a later start and spent billions making sure the xbox was technically superior. Microsoft also faired far better in courting 3rd parties; EA wouldn't even produce their sports games for the Dreamcast, among other failures.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

I think the Xbox is a nice console, but, personally, I love my Dreamcast and It could've kicked the Xbox's ass. It was the ultimate arcade machine, thats why I love it and still play DC games from time to time.

Dreamcast 1:0 Xbox :D
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
JerryTerrifying

Yeah Microsoft did a great job buying developers to build a very decent launch library. I just read an article the other day about that crap...the early years of the Xbox and the planning phase. There were two teams...the one that was involved with the Dreamcast and the other team that got Bill Gates' go ahead to make the "Direct X Box."

http://www.develop-online.net/features/ ... th-of-Xbox

It's a really interesting read. I am in by no means in love with Xbox but it's still an interesting contender in the gaming scene. I do really miss Sega and wish I had become a fan when they were still around kicking ass and making games.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Very interesting article Terry! Thanks for the link! :D
Manji

Post by Manji »

i voted yes only because i dislike microsoft that much, but in reality i dont think Sega could have been any match for all the money microsoft was willing to spend. sega was on their last legs anyway and the mere mention of other hardware coming out made it obvious Sega wasn't gonna make it, even with all their great game properties. 4 consoles on the market was oversaturation, Dreamcast had been the first next generation system to come out, so by the time Xbox was being talked about, Sony had their PS2 coming out and Nintendo was gearing up for the Gamecube launch. all eyes were on how much 'better' these new systems would be. sega promoted the Dreamcast pretty well, but it was difficult to counteract all the PS2 hype and the unknown MS contender. Sega would have had to develop some new and exciting hardware to keep consumers interested and that certainly wasnt going to happen because the Dreamcast was Sega's last ray of hope to begin with. which sucks because the Dreamcast was way ahead of it's time.
JerryTerrifying

Yeah I think Sega's going to win the poll here but those are emotional votes not logical votes. Microsoft has enough money to do whatever the hell they want.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Money > Happy customers

Thats basically the conecpt of Microsoft. Their "new" Xbox 360 still doesnt work without any problems. (Overheating, and other shit) Sent it to MS, had to wait 2 months to get it back, just so it could scratch my Call of Duty.

My Dreamcast never had any problem, it still works like a charm. (Ok, my 2600 works too but thats another story) In times of unsatisfied customers Sega could've crushed Microsoft with their sheer policy and customer satisfaction.

Did I ever regret getting a Dreamcast, Saturn or Genesis (MD)?
Nope
Did I ever regret getting a Xbox and 360?
Hell yeah...

Thats just the way I see it :D
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I'm really sorry to hear about the problems you're having with the Xbox 360. Luckily, I've had a much different experience than you have. Let me come out and say right off the bat that when I read in 2000 that Microsoft was planning to produce a system, I could not have been happier. I was a big dreamcast fan, and after the death of the DC I could not bring myself to own a PS2. I was psyched about the sheer power that the Xbox was planned to boast.

Most of all, I was fixated on the multi-player aspects. I beta tested Xbox Live and immediately fell in love, between profiles, in-game friends lists, and relatively lagless play online. The console world needed a jolt, and online play did not pick up steam for the PS2 until later in its life. It was clear the business needed a kick in the pants, as Nintendo wasn't planning any significant online network/support and Sony was offering up a highly decentralized solution (Network adapter wasn't even released until later on). Microsoft knew where the market was headed and with Live, essentially created the online market on consoles, with an unparalleled user experience and integration with the games.

In 9 years of owning an Xbox, it's never broken down on me. I'm aware of the fact that the 360 does not have a stellar track record in regards to reliability, but I've never had a problem (my brother did with his, and so did a friend). Xbox Live on the 360 is a joy for me, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

im through with microsoft myself, thats why i gave my xbox to a friend, and now i just have a dreamcast which will last alot longer then any xbox 360 never buy anything made by microsoft nowindays, microsoft did so much better with the original xbox IMO
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I kept my Xbox, partly so I could play the US version of Shenmue II.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

I think the english voice acting in Shenmue 2 is terrible! I prefer the original (DC) one! Ah well, its still a great game, doesnt matter whether its being played on a Xbox or Dreamcast. I just cant be mad at Shenmue...
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

Warp2063 wrote:I kept my Xbox, partly so I could play the US version of Shenmue II.
too bad microsoft got stupid and shut off the original xbox live.