long live the dreamcast! new dreamcast game coming out soon

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
Rockman1974

Re: long live the dreamcast! new dreamcast game coming out s

Post by Rockman1974 »

Nice! I didn't know Half-Life was eventually released. That's awesome man. Wow what an excellent New Year this is turning into. I find out that the Dreamcast still has new games getting released, and there are games that were released that I was oblivious to. Primitive Nightmare looks good too. I'll check it out sometime in the next week or two.

Couple this with the fact I just learned about the NetLink adapter for the Saturn and wow, talk about a wonderful way to start 2012.

Sturmwind just became one of my top 5 can't wait for games of 2012. I also reached out to NG: Dev and they said they can send my site some review copies of their big three titles which is excellent news. It means I can pump out some video reviews for those and try and let more people know that the Dreamcast is still alive and kicking. If you hear anything else, or know of any other pet projects, do let me know.

Thanks again for all the excellent info.

Oh and Happy New Year!
nathanallan

Post by nathanallan »

Too easy man! I love it when these things happen, the Dreamcast is one of my favorite consoles-- as a matter of fact I'm working on a way to eliminate the need for a disk drive altogether and use SD cards for everything. I have a system here that refuses to read a disk, and if ONY there was a way to get data into it without the need for a boot cd. That's my little project.

A person on youtube, rerogametech, made a dreamport based SD card reader and somebody in China and India heard of it so now you can just buy one.

http://the-dreamcast-junkyard.blogspot. ... aptor.html

and THAT is a step away from an external ethernet adapter for it, bingo bango online DC again!

My next favorite console is the Genesis-- also online enabled out of the box through control port 2 via sotware. That's a ways off though, I'd rather focus on the DC for now. The Genny network would take a whole external ppt-eth adapter, and they're rather expensive.

http://dc-sd.com/

the link to the guy in India who sells the SD adapters-- boot disk still needed.
Don't TELL me I can't network something.
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

That's pretty amazing stuff. I've missed my Dreamcast so much over the years. When Sega pulled the plug in 2001 I knew the machine wouldn't die off completely. I was a huge Sega fan back in the day. I actually own a Sega SG-1000. Not many people can say that. When the Master System came out I thought that was leagues better than the NES, but thanks to all those contractual obligations the companies had with Nintendo back then, well it was just sad to see the Master System never see its full potential. The Genesis is something else altogether. That thing rocked! I still have my Voltron (Genesis model 1, Sega CD, and 32X) connected and ready for play.

The Saturn is the most underrated of all Sega hardware in my opinion. That thing had so much potential but due to so many different factors it just never got off the ground. To this very day I still have people over to play some X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter and the countless Shmups released in Japan like Radiant Silvergun, Donpachi, DoDonpachi, the Thunder Force series and more. Another machine I miss.

So thanks again for all this news. If we can get the Dreamcast back online in a big way I'd so be into that. Right now I know of a few games that sport private servers like Phantasy Star and Unreal, but the broadband adapter is insanely overpriced. If another option becomes available, giddy up!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

wait....unreal works on the dreamcast still with online play?? cool!!! i know quake 3 does as well as starlancer. Infact i was just playing quake3 on the dc earlier today :)
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

There are a whole bunch of DC games that still work online through private servers, you just need to download a simple file to your VMU and presto, you're good to go. I don't have the full list available, but I know Unreal was still online as of 2009. Have been out of the DC scene for a short time though, although now I'm getting back into it thanks to the homebrew scene and also new games getting released. 2012 will see Sturmwind and Gun-Lord. How awesome is that?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I want to play on my Dreamcast... but I can't justify dragging it to school as well. I'll have to wait for the end of this coming semester...
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
nathanallan

Post by nathanallan »

If it were me I'd totally choose it over ANY of the modern consoles.
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

The Dreamcast was something special, and it remains so even after a decade after Sega pulled the plug. I remember that day with sadness. Sega remains my favourite hardware manufacturer. They were light years ahead of the competition in many areas. Sure the CD attachment for the TurboGrafx-16 may have been out first, but Sega was far more mainstream and for them to take the chance with the Sega CD add-on was unheard of in North America. To follow that up with the 32X, even though it may have failed, it was still a very unique idea. The Saturn too, was a great machine, that just never had a chance due to really poor internal management within Sega. The Dreamcast was a culmination of so many different ideas put into one great box. I can't even begin to imagine what Sega would have done after the Dreamcast. Microsoft took many ideas Sega had been working with when they created their Xbox and eventual follow-up with the Xbox 360. Heck even the controllers look like they originated from the Sega family. When you look at the Xbox and 360 objectively, you can truly see the inspiration. It's clear as day.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

nathanallan wrote:If it were me I'd totally choose it over ANY of the modern consoles.
I love my Dreamcast, don't get me wrong. But the library of games that have come out for it in the last decade is somewhat... lacking. I can play the games I own for it over and over again, but I can't play new releases. And at this point, most of the games that I love for the Dreamcast I can play on other, more current systems. Ones that I have with me at school. And I DO have those games with me.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Have you guys found a broadband adapter for the Dreamcast? I KNEW I should have bought one back in 2001 and have been regretting it ever since. can I buy a Japanese one and use the web browser that shipped with my DC to activate it? It's $300 for the adapter though O_o
nathanallan

Post by nathanallan »

$300?? That's exactly why I want to use the dreamport for ethernet-- roll your own.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

$300? Wow, when I was watching them, the average eBay price was hovering just above $150. I lucked out and got mine when there was a slight drop in the average for a couple weeks... got mine for around $120. I haven't been following them since.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

nathanallan wrote:$300?? That's exactly why I want to use the dreamport for ethernet-- roll your own.
The SD readers, last I checked, used the serial port, which is far, far slower than the Ethernet adapter...
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

I just don't want to get the broadband adapter for the ridiculous prices the people on eBay are asking. I'd be better off buying a Dreamcast bundle from someone who doesn't realize how much the broadband adapter is actually worth. There are several games that still work online today, but you really need high-speed to take advantage of them.