PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
osoma bin llama

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Post by osoma bin llama »

Hey guys/gals I am thinking of buying a sega dreamcast for the online capabilities amongst other things. And I have a question. I know there is a broadband adapter for it. But I have a dongle which allows me to play xbox live through an ether net cable going from my laptop to my xbox. So anyway my question is will I be able to connect to the online on the sega dreamcast?

If someone could please help me I would actualy love you forever! :D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Post by Warp2063 »

Here's some things to know about playing games online on the Sega Dreamcast.

-Very few official servers still exist. There are some fan-run community servers for certain games, but depending on the games, the methods of connecting are different.
-Not every game that has online capabilities is compatible with the Broadband Adapter.
-The Broadband Adapter is rather expensive, as they're not very common. You're going to pay a lot more for it than the Dreamcast itself.

I don't know exactly what this "dongle" you're talking about is, but I'm guessing it's an Ethernet-to-USB adapter. Unless it's specifically made for the 360 (which I kind of doubt; I haven't heard of one, and even if it was, I don't think it would be incompatible with other services), as long as the game supports the Broadband Adapter and you have whatever else you need to connect to a server for a certain game... yeah, it should work.

Starlancer is an example of a game that should still have working, official servers. It uses the GameSpy network, which (last I heard) still exists and lets you connect with your Dreamcast. I seem to remember some things changing with GameSpy a while back, but I haven't heard if it affects the game's online capabilities or not. I know there are some games that allow for direct-dialing another player via the Dreamcast's modem, similar to how the NetLink works (although I believe without the issues with digital phone lines).
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
lazyhoboguy

Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Post by lazyhoboguy »

The people at http://dreamcast-talk.com can help you with dreamcast online stuff.
ps2onlinegaming.com (Site for scheduling PS2 online and PS2 LAN tunneling (Xlink Kai) matches)

www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy