How do you connect to online?

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
osoma bin llama

How do you connect to online?

Post by osoma bin llama »

Im thinking of getting a sega dreamcast because of it's online capabilities and i'm wondering what I need to do and the exact things I need to connect to the online. Please help me as the dreamcast looks really badass!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: How do you connect to online?

Post by Warp2063 »

... I answered your question when you posted several days ago, but I guess that wasn't enough for you.

When you say "online", are you referring to web browsing or gaming? If the latter, please refer to my link from the other day.

If you want to browse the web, you'll need:
- A copy of the Dreamcast Web Browser (the later the version, the better)
- Either the Dreamcast modem (usually included with the Dreamcast) or a Broadband Adapter
- An Internet Service Provider (compatible dial-up ISP if you're using the modem, broadband provider if you're using the BBA)

If you plan to use the Broadband Adapter, you'll need a version of the browser that supports it.

If you go for the dial-up method, plug one end of a phone cable into the Dreamcast modem and the other into an operating phone jack from your telephone service provider. If you use a BBA, use an Ethernet cable to connect to your Cable modem, DSL modem, or router, depending on what you have. Insert your copy of the Browser disc into the Dreamcast. Turn the system on. Follow the setup instructions.

It's really not hard. If you need additional help, ask more specific questions.

Chances are, if you're currently browsing the internet on another device to see this site, you have a superior browsing experience to what you'll get on the DC. The Dreamcast Web Browser is superior to the Saturn's PlanetWeb browser, but it's still more than a decade out of date. A lot of sites won't work like they should, and it's going to be fairly slow.

I know there's a keyboard for the Dreamcast that you can buy if you want. I think there's also an optional mouse. You don't need either of them.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!