So I Bought A Dreamcast...

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
NWA

So I Bought A Dreamcast...

Post by NWA »

...and its awesome! its a very nice looking system and i got shenmue with it :D the only thing wrong with it is its yellowed, but i for some reason preffer it that way :mrgreen:
Better run home to momma now!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: So I Bought A Dreamcast...

Post by Warp2063 »

There are chemicals that can remove the yellow. I like my Dreamcast to be its classic off-white/light grey. I'd also kind of like to have a black Sega Sports Dreamcast. For that matter, I'd also like a Sakura Taisen model, complete with matching controller and VMU, but I don't think that last one is ever going to happen.

A few years back, my brother was helping someone clean out their attic, and he brought home a Dreamcast they had stored up there. It was brown and filthy when I got it. I fully disassembled it, and over the course of about four hours (listening to Jonathan Coulton songs all the while) I got it almost looking new again. There were a few minor scratches that I couldn't do anything about. Then there are a few spots that even a bleach solution wouldn't make 100% white, but the system looks really good. After that, I hooked it up... only to find that the controller board was burned out - probably why it had been tossed into their attic. I stored it away for a few years until I finally got around to ordering a replacement fusing resistor. Once installed, the system worked perfectly. The optical drive is louder than my main Dreamcast, but I never figured out why or how to fix it. Ultimately, it's not that important for a backup system to a system that I only get to play when I'm home from school.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

thats cool you did all that to restore a dc! but I'll keep mine yellow XD, i dont know why but i just like it better :D i actually had the choice between the dc i got and a white one but i took the yellow XD. for now i have my whole childhood to enjoy the dc, i'll only be 18 in 4 years, so im not remotely busy until i decide to get a job or go to school :D . ive never heard of the dc you're talking about so im gonna check it out, it sounds interesting!
Better run home to momma now!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The Sega Sports models weren't hard to find, last I checked. The Sakura Taisen one was a rare, Japanese-only release. I used to watch them selling used for several hundred dollars on eBay... often for more than a new, current-generation console, and that was several years ago. If I found another one today, I can only assume it would cost even more.

It's not the end of the world if I never got one - I don't really have a need for it. I can play my imported games (including Sakura Taisen 1-4 and Guilty Gear X) just fine on my US system by using a boot disc. It would be really cool to have for my collection, though.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
jimmyp

Post by jimmyp »

AH I have wanted a sports version for awhile, the black rules.

I have been trying to collect any controllers and VMU's, I hear yellow is a big deal.