Happy 15th, Dreamcast!

Anything Dreamcast related, including Dreamcast online functions.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Happy 15th, Dreamcast!

Post by Warp2063 »

I have my Dreamcast right beside me and have been itching to play it in the past few days. I think some Sonic Adventure and Power Stone is called for.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Re: Happy 15th, Dreamcast!

Post by Xranger60 »

The Dreamcast felt and played so unique. I remember thinking "THIS is a next-gen system!" I could barely contain my excitement at the prospects for the built-in 56k modem.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Out of the four systems of that generation (XBOX, GameCube, Playstation 2, and Dreamcast), I feel that the Dreamcast was the most beautiful, followed by the GameCube, PS2, and XBOX. It's a shame it wasn't a tad more powerful so that it could compete with the other three when they appeared 1-2 years later. I've often wished I could go back in time and give SEGA some pointers... two analog sticks, system upgrades/updates, dropping the MIL-CD support, DVD support, bump up the system power...
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Indeed, the specs on paper didn't match the PS2 hype machine. I think the anticipation of PS2 really killed it. Not even the reality. When SONY first released the PS2, the amount of aliasing going on hurt the eyes.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I didn't have a PS2 of my own until the last quarter of 2006, so I missed out on that era. But yes... with the huge success of the PlayStation, everyone was eagerly looking forward to its successor, which stole a lot of the Dreamcast's thunder.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I remember back in the day I was so intrigued by the Dreamcast having a modem. I wanted to see some one playing online so bad. Thats one of the biggest reasons I wanted to try and get PSO working online just to see the Dreamcast working online to satisfy that childhood wonder. Ah well I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I thought that PSO was still working, assuming you were on a private server. Are there none left? I haven't checked for a few years, but I *did* join a private server at one point.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I was never able to get the private server thing running. The burnt copy of PSO you needed wouldn't boot on any of my Dreamcasts or some such non sense. I forget exactly what the problem was but I put in a bit of effort and couldn't get it to work.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm not sure that I ever tried on my Dreamcast - I'm pretty sure I used my GameCube. I'd have to dig through my old stuff.