Modem Troubles....

This is the place to go to put out challenges to others and find NetLink opponents to play.

Modem Troubles....

Post by Guest »

Anyone ever had the problem where it says no dialtone but your phone cord is fine and you DO have a dialtone with a phone plugged in??? is my modem fried??
Cobracf2

Post by Cobracf2 »

I had that problem a longtime ago. I went out and bought a new phone cord and was right as rain again. try that first.
I have sega rally, virtual on, duke nukem all warmed up and ready to go. its been years so I am a little rusty take it easy on the old man LOL
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Also make sure that you have the phone line plugged into the correct jack on the NetLink labeled "Line" just in case.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.

Post by Guest »

tried 3 diffrent phone cords. nothing....... even tried a diffrent jack. there is a dialtone but it just kicks me back saying there isn't one. its plugged into the line port and im just not sure what the deal is. now ive tried waiting for a call and called via my cell phone and the modem DOES pick up and give me the garbage hissing whining noises like its trying to connect but dialing wont work. the line port has no bent pins or anything.

modem

Post by Guest »

tried 3 diffrent phone cords. nothing....... even tried a diffrent jack. there is a dialtone but it just kicks me back saying there isn't one. its plugged into the line port and im just not sure what the deal is. now ive tried waiting for a call and called via my cell phone and the modem DOES pick up and give me the garbage hissing whining noises like its trying to connect but dialing wont work. the line port has no bent pins or anything.
Cobracf2

Post by Cobracf2 »

How many times you break down the whole system and put it back together? take all connections off then reseat everything. the only thing I can think of
I have sega rally, virtual on, duke nukem all warmed up and ready to go. its been years so I am a little rusty take it easy on the old man LOL
ViciousAlienKlown

Post by ViciousAlienKlown »

I have run into this problem as well, i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong other than i use a broadband phone connection.
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

Well, maybe it's kind of late to bring back this subject, but just click on "blind-dial".
I had the same problem because my phone tone isn't recognized by the Saturn.
Blind-dial should do the trick.
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally Championship : NetLink Edition
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On : NetLink Edition
Reps911

Post by Reps911 »

I use to have that problem all the time too. My issue was it didnt have good contact in the cartridge port. It would detect the modem but not the line. all i did was clean the connections and re-insert and bam! it works every time now.
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

I tried playing over Netlink today again
It only managed to connect once out of 6 times with my opponent
Other times it simply did nothing, like my Saturn picked up the line but didn't connect with the other one
Any idea what's wrong?
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Did you try different opponents? It could be his phone line or modem. Hope this isn't it, but could be your line, too.
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

well, I use phone over cable (not sure if it's voip, or another technologie, but it's not traditionnal line for sure)
and he uses it as well
So I don't know
But I do play online with dial-up isp with my Dreamcast, and it works pretty well, so I don't know
Maybe the netlink is more sensitive?
Any idea if I manage to connect will it stay stable?
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I think that's pretty close to VOIP. If you're downloading a lot (or using a lot of internet bandwidth in general) when you're trying to talk on the phone, does it stutter, cut out, or sound choppy? If so, if it's not VOIP, it's pretty close. There's a short delay as a converter changes an analog phone signal to a digital one for transmission, then another delay on the receiving side when it gets converted back. From what I've heard so far about the Netlink modem, it's VERY intolerant of delays/lag.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I remember I played against a person who had some sort of VOIP service about 2 years ago. The connection was horrible. Simply put, these types of lines really can go a long way to disrupting/slowing connections as they do have to convert to digital along the way. Try and see if you can get to a phone line that's "traditional." Your opponent should do the same.
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

I searched on wikipedia, and that would be what I use : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_telephony
So it does compress the data and convert it to digital as well as encrypt it.
My opponent is using the same service as well.
How bad is it on VoIP? Unplayable? Or it keeps disconnecting?
And anyone tried using dial-up internet on a VoIP phone line? Does it work well?
Or the netlink is more sensitive than, for example, the Dreamcast's modem?
Thanks
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman