Modem Troubles....

This is the place to go to put out challenges to others and find NetLink opponents to play.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

VoIP by definition connects to a Local Area Network, which is usually connected to a broadband internet connection of some sort, such as cable, DSL, or something better. You don't use a dial-up line for VoIP; you would just use a standard phone for that. And if you HAD broadband internet, why would you try to use a dial-up connection through it, when you're capable of much faster speeds than what an analog modem limits you to?

Again, it sounds like the problem with the Saturn modem is synchronization; it is very intolerant of any delays in getting responses from the other Saturn. It expects a relatively lag-free standard phone line. However, even a standard phone line can be laggy enough to disrupt communications. Some of the people who have tried to play long-distance games will tell you that.
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

Well, I don't use VoIP, it's a different system. It's independant from internet, so if my isp servers crash, I can still use the phone normally. And I do use dial-up internet for my Dreamcast (my broadband isp offers me 10 free hours per month of dial-up access) and it works ok, it seems not as fast/stable as it was in like 2001, but for Starlancer and PSO it works fine. Too bad the NetLink isn't more "flexible". I really can't wait to be able to play! Playing coop Duke Nukem 3D on my Saturn must be really fun (I used to play all the time with one of my friends on PC)
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally Championship : NetLink Edition
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On : NetLink Edition
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I was responding to the hypothetical situation you posed, not your actual situation. :wink:
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Yeah, agreed with what Warp said. The NetLink modem gameplay relies on being in constant sync, which means instant, lag free communications. Very long distance, phone lines with static, and Voice over Internet services are a few things that will give it trouble. It's unfortunate, but at least on a standard phone line it works well. Get to somebody else's house and hijack their normal phone line!
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.