NetLink over a vonage account lets test this and play.

This is the place to go to put out challenges to others and find NetLink opponents to play.
acem77

NetLink over a vonage account lets test this and play.

Post by acem77 »

I just found this site linked form a digitpress post.
It got me thinking if I could still use my net link because I have vonage(ip phone)for my house phone. After some reading and testing it looks like the netlink should work.
As a test with my laptop I was able to make a dial-up connection to netzero.
At this point I don’t see any reason why the netlink would not work.

The best part is if it works I have unlimited long distance so I could call anyone I think even Canada for nothing extra.
So if anyone wants to help me test that out it would be great.
If I make all the calls the other party could play for free also :)
Send me a PM if you care to play. I live in Ohio.

I have a netlink with all the games.
Bomber man
Sega Rally
Virtual On
Duke Nukem 3-D
Daytona
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Please don't post the same message in two places.
acem77

Post by acem77 »

I think two posts are fair game with this type of subject.
I need to test and inform people if it is a solution that’s the general post, then I need to make some contact with people that want to play, hence the second post.

So in stead of a complaint how about some help testing :P
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It will be read wherever you put it. Therefore the second is unnecessary.

I'd help you test, but I'm currently unable to for two reasons: One, I'm currently at college, and I don't have a land line here. Two, the only Netlink-compatible game I have, my Saturn won't read. I still haven't been able to determine whether the Saturn is faulty, the disc is faulty, or both are. And unfortunately, Saturn games are not exactly common anymore, so one of the only ways I can get ahold of one is through eBay.

As I posted in the other thread, though, I've never heard of a case where playing over VoIP has worked, because of the delays involved in converting the signal to digital, transmitting it over a connection that isn't as dedicated as a dedicated land line (therefore more delays), and then if the other person also uses VoIP, the time it takes for their box to convert it back from digital. The designers of the Netlink games never anticipated that much lag, and therefore the system can't handle it. The connection destabilizes, and it disconnects. It needs a steady, constant connection the whole time the two Saturns are connected.

If you can get it to work, all power to you. But I somehow don't think that you'll be an exception to all the other test cases.

In a few weeks, I'll be home again, and hopefully have worked out my Saturn issue. I might be able to help you test your connection then.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

This is a double post, and can be discussed in the other topic you started. Locked.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.