Just bought a net link adapter :)

This is the place to go to put out challenges to others and find NetLink opponents to play.
Chaos Prime

Just bought a net link adapter :)

Post by Chaos Prime »

As the title says should arrive soon. i have Daytona CCE Netlink edition, and should be able to get sega rally hopefully. How often do people play online ?

Im new here and ove daytona and the original sega rally. my fav racing games along side scud race ^^

Thanks!

also how does this work?, im very new to this, im reading is very expensive to play, what are the charges to play online say UK --> UK and UK --> World?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

If you're playing a US game, then the only thing you're paying is the cost of a telephone call to the person you're playing with. Depending on what company you use, that price will vary.*

I have no idea how much it would cost for me to dial you up in the UK from the US... but I imagine an extended play session would get expensive.

*Note: If you're using an IP phone, VoIP, or any other digital phone service solution, you probably won't be able to play with anyone. From everything I've heard, you might be able to connect, but the game will be mostly unplayable, and will probably disconnect.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Welcome to the site and congrats on your new purchase. Segadreamcaster is going to be thrilled with another UK'er joining :D .
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
segadreamcaster

Re: Just bought a net link adapter :)

Post by segadreamcaster »

Chaos Prime wrote:As the title says should arrive soon. i have Daytona CCE Netlink edition, and should be able to get sega rally hopefully. How often do people play online ?

Im new here and ove daytona and the original sega rally. my fav racing games along side scud race ^^

Thanks!

also how does this work?, im very new to this, im reading is very expensive to play, what are the charges to play online say UK --> UK and UK --> World?
Excellent! Great to see another potential UK netlinker :)

As far as I am aware there is currently only 2 users in the UK who are setup to play netlink, thats me and Blast...so having another is always good :)

So you have daytona? You sure it's the netlink version? The reason I ask is that it is incredible rare and only released in the USA..people in the past have thought they ahd it but it turned out to be the standard CCE edition or the Japanese version?

call costs will depend on your provider and package. The netlink works using direct dial, so basically its exactly the same as making a telephone call from one landline to another, so within the UK you will be charged at a standard local or national rate...ranges from 1p-4p per minute generally...unless of course you have an all inclusive package.

Cheers
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Chaos Prime

Post by Chaos Prime »

Ill have another look when i get home, just to make sure, ill fire it up on a emulator too and all is good then its game on time :D

Yeah i know these games are rare mate been looking for SEGA RALLY for ages but all i come across are bootleg versions. Do these work if they boot up on the saturn? i have a PAL and NTSC J saturn so i can use both.

If it does work then great!!!

Thanks
segadreamcaster

Chaos Prime wrote:Ill have another look when i get home, just to make sure, ill fire it up on a emulator too and all is good then its game on time :D

Yeah i know these games are rare mate been looking for SEGA RALLY for ages but all i come across are bootleg versions. Do these work if they boot up on the saturn? i have a PAL and NTSC J saturn so i can use both.

If it does work then great!!!

Thanks
Yeah, you can use copies....but you will of course need a modchip for that.

Also, if you don't have a US NTSC saturn you will need a method of booting imports other than a cartridge. So if you don't one already you may need to think about installing a region switch. Normally imports are easy with an import cart, but as the netlink modem uses the cartridge slot things become a little more complicated

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Chaos Prime

Post by Chaos Prime »

Thats good to know. I currently have what is called a MAGIC CARD V2, which is only needed during first boot and can be removed. Is fully compatible with games like X-Men vs Streetfighter whivh requires the 4meg cart. So if the net adapter can be plugged in straight after its perfect ;)
segadreamcaster

Chaos Prime wrote:Thats good to know. I currently have what is called a MAGIC CARD V2, which is only needed during first boot and can be removed. Is fully compatible with games like X-Men vs Streetfighter whivh requires the 4meg cart. So if the net adapter can be plugged in straight after its perfect ;)
Yeah there are a couple of issues here. The first one being that you would need to swap the carts at exactly the right time, otherwise the game will not recognise the modem. This method is also well known to damage the cart slot over time, so thats up to you.

Finally, all netlink games reboot after a telephone connection has been made. So there may well be a problem with the game being un-recognised as being the correct region during the second boot. I am not sure if this has been confirmed as a problem or not but it has been mentioned in the past as a possible issue. I have not tried it myself as I do not like using the swap method...but you may run into trouble there...would be good if you could prove the theory either way actually :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Chaos Prime

Post by Chaos Prime »

As soon as my adapter arrives ill try it out and see what happens. Worst case scenario ill just get my machined modded or some sort. I would really like to plat Sega Rally and Daytona online ^^

Off topic has the DC version of Daytona USA 2001 online been taken down? i heard a new dream key was released to allow people to continue playing though not sure how much truth there is in this.

Anyone confirm this?
segadreamcaster

Chaos Prime wrote:As soon as my adapter arrives ill try it out and see what happens. Worst case scenario ill just get my machined modded or some sort. I would really like to plat Sega Rally and Daytona online ^^

Off topic has the DC version of Daytona USA 2001 online been taken down? i heard a new dream key was released to allow people to continue playing though not sure how much truth there is in this.

Anyone confirm this?
Yeah just give it a try and see what happens, thats all you can do really :)

As for the Dreamcast...no, daytona cannot be played online anymore. The latest Dreamkey (V3) only allows you to use your own ISP.

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman