Just got a new netlink

This is the place to go to put out challenges to others and find NetLink opponents to play.
segasaturndude

Re: Just got a new netlink

Post by segasaturndude »

I can assist you into rewiring your phone system if you need any help. Its quite simple if you ask me

Chaosomega wrote:okay I see what you are saying I have a router which has a two phone ports built into it..But I have got it from the cable company..So story short i actually have to have a analog phone line such as a jack built into a wall? I actually have one in my apartment looks like someone cut the wires off it..Looks like a old south western bell jack silver one at that...Maybe I can attempt to rewire it.
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

segasaturndude wrote:I can assist you into rewiring your phone system if you need any help. Its quite simple if you ask me
But there's no point until he actually has analog phone service, and when the phone company comes to connect you, theoretically they should rewire any connections you ask for at the same time. So there shouldn't be a need. :/
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

surf where do you live?

Ive been really wanting to play Netlink again recently. Had a good run a couple years back with manji and some others.

I wish analog phone wasnt dying off. It cost me like 80$ just to install it. And that was only for the sake of netlink.

I actually think in my new apartment I live at now analog phone lines are still offered at a good rate. Im considering looking into it today.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
bellotto

Post by bellotto »

I have played before with someone else calling. I'm pretty sure I have digital phone lines, as we have caller ID on the tv. I can go online with my dreamcast, I have with Saturn when I had the browser. It may depend on the total configuration, some people may be able to use digital to use Netlink.

I have brighthouse cable and phone from Tampa. I just went online with my DC last week. With the same Brighthouse setup I have used a free isp with Netlink. There may be more to it such as hardware configuration of the phone provider, and other things.

Edit:
When I went online with Saturn I used the browser config to add a network init string for dialing. It then connected, and I could load web pages. With Netlink games, I have no way to add a string, and it says no dial tone. This is all on the same Brighthouse connection that I have had for 7-8 years.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Both the NetLink browser and the Dreamcast have more robust connection options than the NetLink games, and both are designed to properly handle latency like you might find on the Internet. However, the NetLink games were built on the same connection technology as the XBand modem, which relied on an extremely low latency dial-up connection to synchronize game data (variables like position on the track, direction moving, items and random events on the screen, bullet trajectories, etc.) between the two systems in between frames of animation on the displays. In the event that anything delayed the information being exchanged between the systems, the games would pause and refuse to go ahead until a successful update, resulting in stuttering gameplay or, in the event of not reestablishing synchronization in time, downright disconnection. So delays from long distances, delays from converting from and to analog and digital signals, delays from lost or garbled information from lossy analog-to-digital codecs, delays in asynchronous networks such as the Internet... These weren't handled well or designed to be handled at all. This was an earlier attempt at remote multiplayer gaming. By the time of the Dreamcast, more games were designed to handle latency well by making predictions about the opponents' game states based on the last good information available rather than depending on perfect synchronization. So perfectly synchronous connections were no longer required for multiplayer gaming, and games could begin to handle imperfect connection conditions like those found on the Internet or in poorer quality connections.

Init strings would have made my life so much easier back when I was earnestly working on my XBand and Saturn projects. They wouldn't have solved or even reduced the latency and encoding problems, but they at least would have allowed me to connect for long enough to have done some tests. It would have reduced or entirely removed the need for an analog phone line simulator, which I never purchased due to their expense, nor was I ever successfully able to build. I do know some things now that I didn't back then which would have helped with the phonesim, XBand, and NetLink projects, but now I'm busy with school, and it's no longer a high priority for me... especially because I can't bring all my equipment to school. I also don't know where I could do any soldering on campus without getting into trouble. And I don't have access to a phone line there, either. Who knows... If I come home for the summer, maybe I'll have some time then... but I can't make any promises.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!