Just got a new netlink

This is the place to go to put out challenges to others and find NetLink opponents to play.
surfofsyn

Just got a new netlink

Post by surfofsyn »

Hi guys i just recently purchased a new netlink for my saturn my old one broke years ago.In any event i would love to try out a online game the only one i have atm is duke nukem i plan to get the other online games soon.I have never played a actual saturn game online how do you do it ?But if anyone is willing to play some duke nukem let me know pls i would love to acrualy play it online.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: Just got a new netlink

Post by Warp2063 »

You'll need an analog phone line. Theoretically, it's pretty easy to set up a game. Since I don't have my Saturn with me here at school, I'm working off my memory of playing NetLink games, so I might make a few mistakes.

1: Make sure your Saturn is off. Insert the NetLink cartridge and the game disc into the system.
2: Hook your Netlink to the analog phone line using a standard phone cord. There are two jacks on the NetLink - you want to connect to the one that IS NOT either an image of a phone or the word "phone."
3: Boot up your Saturn. If the Saturn goes straight to the game (skipping over the NetLink launch screen), turn your Saturn off and reseat the NetLink in the cartridge port. When I used the NetLink, I would have to insert the cartridge fully, then lift the right side of the cartridge very slightly up. That's the only way my Saturn would fully recognize and use the NetLink cartridge.
4: Once you're to the NetLink selection screen, you should have three options. One should be to start the game normally, one should be to play a NetLink game (I believe it's the second option), and the third option should be something like NetLink Zone. You want the second option. The NetLink Zone service no longer exists, so clicking that option won't really do anything for you.
5: You should be at a new NetLink screen. Here, you'll have several options. The first and second should be Dial and Wait. These are pretty self-explanatory. One of you will choose to wait for an incoming call, and the other player will have to have their NetLink dial the other person's. Clicking Dial brings you to a screen where you input your opponent's phone number. Also on this main NetLink menu, there's some options. I believe there's a profile button somewhere in there... you'll probably want to pick a username and an avatar if you haven't already.

So, theoretically, it's pretty easy. You just have to find an opponent, figure out which one of you will be placing the call (and probably paying applicable (probably long-distance) phone charges), and set one Saturn to wait, while the caller sets his to dial. The challenging part is finding someone who still has an analog phone line and long-distance service, then actually organizing a time to play. Then you pray that the Saturns will actually make a stable connection.

I wish you luck. It's been a while since we've had a successful match-up that I'm aware of.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
surfofsyn

Post by surfofsyn »

Ya i got it all hooked up and connected i will opt to host games if anyone wants to hook up i hope i find somebody soon to try and play with.All i can do is keep checking the forums.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

surfofsyn wrote:i will opt to host games
The person who hosts is the server - in this case, the person who waits. Unfortunately, there're are far more people willing to wait than there are people willing to or capable of dialing.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
surfofsyn

Post by surfofsyn »

will then i will dial no worries i just would like to put the netlink to a little use as i never got to expierence playing online games with the netlink everything should work great on my part since i dont have digital phone .
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

surfofsyn wrote:will then i will dial no worries i just would like to put the netlink to a little use as i never got to expierence playing online games with the netlink everything should work great on my part since i don't have digital phone .
I would be more than happy to play some good ol duke 3d with you Just need a analog adapter..you know I never tryed to dial out to anyone on a digital line lol or mabey you can dial me or whatever..Let me know if you want to play i'll dust off my netlink and saturn ahaha

Everybody is super sonic race-in try to keep your feet right on the ground!!

Netlink games owned: Duke Nukem3D more to come in the future
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Most digital phone lines employ analog adapters so that you can connect standard telephones to them. However, connecting a NetLink to one rarely works. You actually need an analog phone line.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

Warp2063 wrote:Most digital phone lines employ analog adapters so that you can connect standard telephones to them. However, connecting a NetLink to one rarely works. You actually need an analog phone line.
Okay warp, how much these adapters run for?

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

You don't normally buy them... If you have a digital phone line, you likely already have one. They usually are given to you when you sign up for digital phone service, or one is used to service your whole house. As such, I don't have a reccomendation. Talk to your digital phone service provider.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

okay I see what you are saying I have a router which has a two phone ports built into it..But I have got it from the cable company..So story short i actually have to have a analog phone line such as a jack built into a wall? I actually have one in my apartment looks like someone cut the wires off it..Looks like a old south western bell jack silver one at that...Maybe I can attempt to rewire it.

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Most likely your router has Ethernet jacks, not phone jacks.
Do you have telephones in your house, or do you only use a cell phone? If you do have telephones in your house, what are they connected to?

Yes, you need an analog phone line for NetLink gaming. Even if you do successfully rewire a telephone line, you'd still need to pay for analog phone service. If you were paying for the service, though, the phone company would rewire the jacks for you. So there isn't a reason to do it yourself. Especially if those lines still have power going through them...
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

I have a cisco router that the cable company gave me which has a cable outlet and ethernet port and two phone ports..I always have my wireless router hooked up not that matters..btw warp who does analog phone service these days..cox communications only does digital i checked with them -_-

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Fewer and fewer companies do analog phone service these days. It's easier and cheaper for them to route phone data digitally over your existing internet connection. It's one less network they have to service. You'd have to look around in your area. Back home, Frontier handles our DSL connection and our analog phone service. I think you'll be far more likely to find analog telephone service from DSL providers than you will Cable internet providers.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

i see, thank you warp

surfofsyn

Post by surfofsyn »

Anytime you want to try we can do it atleast we can try for a stable connection i am ready when you are i will check the forums periodacly to see when you are available to try.