Netlink Match!

This is the place to go to put out challenges to others and find NetLink opponents to play.
NekoCahlan

Netlink Match!

Post by NekoCahlan »

Hey guys! I'm new to the whole Netlink thing and not really a big forum person, but anywaaay...

I just got the netlink adapter for my Saturn, along with all 5 games! I had to go to radioshack and buy 50ft of phone cable and mounting plates so I could have a phone jack in my room, but oh well heh

So, I have DSL internet and an analog phone line. Will that work alright for Netlink? I'm currently under the impression that the 5 games are direct dial and use your phone line rather than dial up internet which I assume is only needed for the actual PlanetWeb browser. Am I correct?

Also, unless I can figure out how to get this forum to give me email/text updates on posts and such, I may not get on here much as I forget things easy, so if you want to play a game on Netlink with me, send me an email, or PM or text or whatever! Im not too worried about long distance provided you are in USA and not another country.

Thanks! Sorry if this was a bit much haha
I have all of the Netlink games.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Re: Netlink Match!

Post by Xranger60 »

Welcome to the forum!

I hope you decide to stick around here and help keep this place active. To answer your questions, your understanding is completely correct: No need to have any dial-up internet to play the games. However, it may be necessary to turn off the DSL modem while attempting to play a netlink game.

We used to have a profile entry for which games netlink members owned, but that's been lost in transition, so which NetLink capable games do you own?
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

All 5 games :D

On a side note, I like your "joined on" date. The classic time reset for Unix systems~
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Haha yes, not intentional, but it's been that way since the first day, and I've kept it that way. Fitting because I love unix-type systems.
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

Back on topic, would you be willing to play with me soon? I still need to try to see if my netlink even functions perfectly and what not. I have it hooked up, and my games detect it, and I know it rings out because I called my cell phone with it, however I'd like to actually test it in a match!

I've never once played Bomberman or Virtual On, so a tutorial via Skype or something would be fantastic if we ever played together
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I think I could play soon, either this weekend or next. Mind you, I haven't played at my current place, and while I have a phone line, it is carried over Fiber... so I am not sure how the lag will be. It should be enough to at least confirm your NetLink is working. If not this weekend, next weekend could work.
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

I thought it *had* to be analog? Will that even work at all?
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

The only way to guarantee a decent connection is through an analog phone line. If it's digital, a few members here have tried and had some wildly varying results, but I think overall, digital is essentially useless for NetLink. I'm actually not sure how my line will fare, since it's not clear to me how "digital" it is.
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

Okay, well just let me know when you want to do it. We are in the same time zone and such, and I almost always work everyday 2pm-8pm. Other than that, let me know!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Hey!
Welcome!
It's good to see new people around.

I'll try to set the things up here too. My Saturn is inside some closet right now... =/

______

Oh, too bad that the record of the games owned is lost. Is it possible to make something like that again Xranger?
Another thing that I think is useful is a timezone setting, showing in which time zone the user is.

I've tryed to ask some users, to make sure I'm not setting up a match like 4 AM to the person, but many "don't know" what time zone (GMT) is.
I mean, I know that in USA you guys use some nicknames like east-something, standard-anything-edition, but in the rest of the world the +5, -7, -2, etc, get the job done.
Is it really that hard to say: "Hey, my time zone is +2"? So I will know that 1 PM to me is 6 PM to the person...

Bye! =P
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

-5 Eastern Standard Time. Better~? Covers the east coast of USA, where myself and Xranger60 lives.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Rogue wrote: Oh, too bad that the record of the games owned is lost. Is it possible to make something like that again Xranger?
Good news- that data is not lost. It's still within the SQL database, I just need to add a field for the data.
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

Come on guys, Im ready to play almost whenever! :3
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

In this Sunday perhaps?
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

Rogue wrote:In this Sunday perhaps?
Maybe. Dunno yet as my work schedule for next week isn't published until tomorrow...