New netlink player

This is the place to go to put out challenges to others and find NetLink opponents to play.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: New netlink player

Post by Warp2063 »

NekoCahlan wrote:Even though my internet was switched to fiber optic, I'm not sure what my actual phone runs on anymore. Is there an easy way to test if it will still work?
Power off your fiber optic modem. If your phone can still dial out and connect, you're most likely on an analog line.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

My modem is on the outside of the house, has an underground line from the telephone pole to it, and is literally just two Ethernet jacks (one inactive unless I purchase a second 1GBps line), and two phone jacks (one unplugged, unsure if inactive for same reason as Ethernet 2). Ethernet 1 runs inside my house and plugs into my Asus router, and everything is great from there on. I'm pretty positive I don't have analog phone now :c BUT I'd love to test it anyway! Just to see at least once...

http://puu.sh/mX6wt/62622c83d1.jpg
I have all of the Netlink games.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I did a little research.

https://www.calix.com/systems/p-series.html

Under Features it says:
Both TDM voice and VOIP (SIP, H.248, MGCP) are supported, including TDM voice over Ethernet.
Then there's https://portal.calix.com/portal/calixdo ... ?44715.htm
MGCP and H.248 Voice service support (static or DNS provisioning)
VoIP Interop with MetaSwitch R17 and GENBAND C15 R5 for MGCP
Various digital technologies. It's not looking good.

'Course, that doesn't mean it absolutely won't work. It's just that there have been very few reported cases of successful NetLink matches that utilized any digital phone services, especially in more recent times.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

Well considering my internet is 860-940MBps, and the ISP headquarters is about 25 miles away, and were the ones who provided my analog DSL and phone before, maybe I'll get lucky and it will work just fine. Just need a test buddy!

On a side note, anyone know of the Keyboard and mouse working on Duke Nukem 3D? I've heard conflicting info of yes and no, but no info on if it was with the Netlink Keyboard using the Saturn controller port or if it was with the PS/2 adaptor and a PS/2 keyboard. I'd love to use it if it works but don't want to buy both pieces just to test if I can help it
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I... don't know. I do own a Saturn keyboard adapter, PS/2 keyboard, the system, and the game, and I'm pretty sure I also own the mouse... but I'm several thousand miles away from them all. The keyboard is certainly compatible with the post-game chat, but I don't know if it's useable in-game. I doubt it, but it's not impossible.

I wonder if there's an emulator that has mouse and keyboard support. Probably Yabause. I might try that out later.
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

I didn't even think of that! I'll test when I get home. The thing I wonder mostly is if the Saturn has *any* detection difference between the ps2 adaptor or the real keyboard
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

Both Yabause and SSF have mouse emulation (actually still didnt get it to work on either) but neither emulates the keyboard. How silly considering the keyboard cant be a keyboard...? I'll try some other mouse games that are shown to work on retail and troubleshoot from there.
KronixKid22

Post by KronixKid22 »

Good info here, I need to find my Saturn!
itsstillthinking1999

Post by itsstillthinking1999 »

would still be willing to test as long as someone does the calling :D
SEGA
NekoCahlan

Post by NekoCahlan »

itsstillthinking1999 wrote:would still be willing to test as long as someone does the calling :D
Will do! I'm off every Friday, otherwise we can work something out
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

PM me with your skype!

2016 is the year of the NetLink!

(I've said it was 2015 but I was wrong)
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Austin Peyton

Post by Austin Peyton »

i have a sega saturn netlink with virtual on and sega rally. how do i direct dial to someone to play?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Austin Peyton wrote:i have a sega saturn netlink with virtual on and sega rally. how do i direct dial to someone to play?
Do you have the regular versions or the NetLink versions? It's a critical distinction.

Basically, you need the game, the Saturn, the NetLink modem, an analog (not digital) phone line, and, if you're the one doing the dialing, the phone number of your opponent. It's pretty easy in concept, but it's getting harder and harder to find those who meet the "analog phone line" requirement.
Austin Peyton

Post by Austin Peyton »

yes i will have the Netlink editions of vitual on and sega rally. They are coming in the mail. I have a analog phone line which i use for land line calls. I also am getting the netlink modem in the mail and i already have a phone line cord. my service for calls is on phone lines and i have a phone jack in the wall.
Austin Peyton

Post by Austin Peyton »

0430161234-00.jpg
0430161234-00.jpg (5.01 KiB) Viewed 45251 times
here is the phone jack with a sega controller.