What's your favorite saturn game?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Cobracf2

What's your favorite saturn game?

Post by Cobracf2 »

Well that's a tough one for me in the end I bought and went through burning rangers which I thought was excellent but short and a bit choppy on the game play but worth the ride. Panzer Dragoon Saga was just excellent and left me screaming for more of that. All together though Nights Into Dreams and Christmas nights was just an excellent game and cutting edge to boot. There was nothing like it on any other system. So I probably have to say for me The 2 nights games were a really good ride and a game that I can pick up years later and enjoy all over again. Christmas nights was very cool for a demo disk. Probably the best demo ever released on any platform.
I have sega rally, virtual on, duke nukem all warmed up and ready to go. its been years so I am a little rusty take it easy on the old man LOL
bawitback

Post by bawitback »

mostly imports, alot of US materal really were awful.

NiGHTS
Bulk Slash
Die Hard Arcade
Shining Force III sernerio 1
Saturn Bomberman Fight!!
Keio Yugekitai 2
Radiant Silvergun
Panzer Dragoon
Virtua Fighter 2
Fighters Megamix
Burning Rangers
Gunbird
Cotton Boomerang
Sonic Jam
Megaman X4
King of Fighter 97'
Saturn Bomberman
Guardian Heroes
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Silhouette Mirage
Dragon Force
Waku Waku Monster
X-men vs Street Fighter
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

bawitback wrote:mostly imports, alot of US materal really were awful.

NiGHTS
Bulk Slash
Die Hard Arcade
Saturn Bomberman Fight!!
Keio Yugekitai 2
Radiant Silvergun
Panzer Dragoon
Virtua Fighter 2
Fighters Megamix
Burning Rangers
Gunbird
Cotton Boomerang
Sonic Jam
Megaman X4
King of Fighter 97'
Saturn Bomberman
Guardian Heroes
Silhouette Mirage
Dragon Force
Waku Waku Monster
X-men vs Street Fighter
Ah, good taste :) all 1st class titles there.

A few others include:

Doukoku Soshite
Choro Q Park
Astra Superstars
Twinkle Star Sprites (best version)
Hyper Duel
Prikura Daisakusen
Battle Garegga
Assault Suit Leynos 2
Cyberbots
Quovadis 2
Street Fighter Zero 3 (best version)

There really a lot of great games, but if I had to pick a favorite...I would probably go with Bulk Slash. The game has the feel of a 16-bit classic with the power of 32-bit hardware (gotta love the music by the way, they don't make it like that anymore). Just an all around excellent title.
bawitback

Post by bawitback »

Cidus wrote:
bawitback wrote:mostly imports, alot of US materal really were awful.

NiGHTS
Bulk Slash
Die Hard Arcade
Saturn Bomberman Fight!!
Keio Yugekitai 2
Radiant Silvergun
Panzer Dragoon
Virtua Fighter 2
Fighters Megamix
Burning Rangers
Gunbird
Cotton Boomerang
Sonic Jam
Megaman X4
King of Fighter 97'
Saturn Bomberman
Guardian Heroes
Silhouette Mirage
Dragon Force
Waku Waku Monster
X-men vs Street Fighter
Ah, good taste :) all 1st class titles there.

A few others include:

Doukoku Soshite
Choro Q Park
Astra Superstars
Twinkle Star Sprites (best version)
Hyper Duel
Prikura Daisakusen
Battle Garegga
Assault Suit Leynos 2
Cyberbots
Quovadis 2
Street Fighter Zero 3 (best version)

There really a lot of great games, but if I had to pick a favorite...I would probably go with Bulk Slash. The game has the feel of a 16-bit classic with the power of 32-bit hardware (gotta love the music by the way, they don't make it like that anymore). Just an all around excellent title.
Ah yea, I missed a couple there. I just uploaded a video of Bulk Slash on YouTube today (for those of you who missed this masterpiece). Also typed a review awhile ago for it. :wink:
Shenmaster777

Post by Shenmaster777 »

Probably Blazing Heroes Aweosme game, can't believe that's no love for that game over here.
grolt

Post by grolt »

NiGHTS gets my vote for best game on *any* system, let alone the Saturn. I was awestruck the first time I inserted the game, not merely from the amazing graphics, but more due to the sheer creativity of the NiGHTS universe. I clicked with the main characters, being roughly in age at the time of its release, but those dream worlds just elevated gaming as a whole to a new level. Like how Citizen Kane reinvented the grammar of film, NiGHTS reinvented the grammar of the video game, finally elevating the polygon from poorly textured facsimilies of reality into a living, breathing work of visual art. The A-Life system too, so rich and detailed, certainly predicts Tamagotchi, Pokemon and the like. And the sound, the way the tones, notes and pitches would alter depending on the mood of your nightopians, was something that ensured the game would play like a fresh dream every single time. Add in the time-sensitivity of Christmas NiGHTS and you have the ultimate in (sur)realism. In many ways it was more than just a game, it was organic. Living and breathing, it felt cut right from your subconsience.

As good as all that is though, it is the originality of the gameplay and the amazingly responsive control that give this the lasting replay it has today. After beating it a few hours after buying it, I was pretty disappointed in the brevity of the game, but upon picking it up months later (and then years later after that) the true calling of this game finally settled in. This isn't a platformer, this is a time/point attack game, and with so many variables (time, links, tricks, gems, nightopians, random bosses) thrown in the mix, it means that the game will never become masterable to the point of repetetive boredom. I've yet to have a NiGHTS experience that's felt like the previous one, and I've been playing it now for ten years. The game play has changed (evolved?) too, in the way the makers sought to include a widescreen option well before widescreen televisions were ever readily available on the market. So now, playing it through S-Video on a 50" HDTV, the game has reached almost lifelike proportions. And the wider aspect ratio gives it a new dimension, adding space in front and behind of NiGHTS, allowing for a panoramic width such a visonary game deserves. It makes linking easier, too.

There have been other groundbreaking games with similar magnitude, but what makes NiGHTS endure above all else is the fact it has never been replicated. No sequels, no true ports, and certainly no similar titles from other developers. It exists as this amazing platformer/flight simulator/racer/tamagotchi that is as hard to replicate as it is to define. NiGHTS just is, and nothing can ever come close.

I'm a film buff at heart, but even the greats of that medium, L'Eclisse, Zerkalo, Suspiria, Halloween, struggle to leave the impact on me that NiGHTS has left. More than just the definitive Sega Saturn game, or the definitive video game in general, NiGHTS is one of the twentieth century's definitive artistic statements. A true work of art on its own merits.