MOdchip Issues

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Cobracf2

MOdchip Issues

Post by Cobracf2 »

I blame myself for buying the chip its in noway Racketboys fault my saturn doesnt work anymore. In the inmstructions it says to file down the chip so it fits in the ribbon cable holder to the cdrom. I did that. Upon putting the chip in the ribbon cable holder cracked and split in 2. I do not recommend doing this as now I have to buy another sega saturn. Im not to happy with myself at this moment. should have left well enough alone. all to play burned games kind of ironic isnt it LOL
Last edited by Cobracf2 on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have sega rally, virtual on, duke nukem all warmed up and ready to go. its been years so I am a little rusty take it easy on the old man LOL
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

That's very unusual. Crappy luck too! I bought my mod chip from Racketboy and it works perfectly. Soldering isn't my area of expertise so that caused some nervousness but it doesn't even require any soldering to the Saturn itself, just soldering a wire from the modchip back onto the modchip itself.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Cobracf2

Post by Cobracf2 »

I think the problem is a very old piece oif plastic that was brittle just broke. I just went over to gameworld and bought an oval button saturn maybe I can try the swap trick. just booted the thing up it works perfectly
I have sega rally, virtual on, duke nukem all warmed up and ready to go. its been years so I am a little rusty take it easy on the old man LOL
bawitback

Post by bawitback »

I paid some dude about 15 bucks to do it for me, It was years ago.
Einhander

Post by Einhander »

Xranger60 wrote:That's very unusual. Crappy luck too! I bought my mod chip from Racketboy and it works perfectly. Soldering isn't my area of expertise so that caused some nervousness but it doesn't even require any soldering to the Saturn itself, just soldering a wire from the modchip back onto the modchip itself.
I have absolutely no soldering experience at all. I bought a chip from Racketboy and installed it the day before yesterday. I have a Model 2 64 pin (supposedly easy to do) and a Model 1 (supposedly ridiculously difficult to do), so I chipped the Model 2. I actually just bent the tip of the signal wire a little to hold it into place on the chip itself, and wedged the power wire into the PSU without soldering anything. It's only temporary, but I want to get some soldering experience under my belt before I start laying molten metal all over my Saturn.

Also, this way I can remove the chip if I need to before I solder it in, if something malfunctions, or if I want to return my Saturn to it's virgin state. I spent a couple of hours yesterday messing around with the limited Saturn homebrew. It was fun.

I did have to do some filing and push the chip with considerable force to get it in, though. I'm just glad I didn't have to cut any of the metal shielding like some folks.
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

Yeah, with Saturn Mods you really don't have to solder to the PSU at all. I used hot-glue to just hold a bent wire in place (literally just rubs off if you screw up) and it's worked for years.

Einhander, for your mod on the model 2, did you connect a wire to the CD block or did you just use the A+B chip method?
Einhander

Post by Einhander »

A+B method. The non-shielded end of the signal wire is bent and held in place in the hole on the chip by pressure from the lens cabling.

Using this:

The blue wire is the signal wire, and the pink dot is the hole. The black line is the unshielded end of the signal wire. The white lens cable presses the unshielded end of the signal wire against the edge of the hole, so it's constantly making a connection.

I'm going to steal your idea and go the hot-glue route, that sounds like the best way. This way I can remove it later If I want to (or screw up).
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Thanks for the illustration of the A+B method. Btw, I'd never even thought of using hot glue to keep those connections together. In hindsight, that could have saved me a lot of worry.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.