This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn

When did you bought your Saturn?

1994-1995 (Model 1)
33%
1996-1998 (Model 2)
17%
After 1998 (Dreamcast Time)
No votes
After 2000 (I ever wanted a Saturn in the 90´s)
33%
After 2000 (I wasnt Interested in Saturn before)
17%

Total votes: 6

z3ntn3l

When did you bought your Saturn?

Post by z3ntn3l »

Hey, you know i´m new to this Forum.

But i think some fresh posts will be good 8)
I´m interested in when the NetLink-Dudes got their Saturn...

Shortly after Release-Date?
Or later the second Saturn-Model?
Maybe just when it wasnt supported anymore?
Or after 2000? (maybe you just hear about the Saturn for the first time or you just hadnt the Time/Money back in the 90´s)

:)

I got mine in November 1995. It was expencive like Hell... (if i remember correctly: 599 DM + AV Cable 59 DM + Daytona USA 90 DM = ~400€)
I remember the Shoppingmall. There was 2 TV´s. One with a Saturn/Daytona USA and a Playstation/Wipeout. I played both and decided to buy the Saturn. :D 8)
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Hey :)

Yeah got mine in 2003 or 2004 I think, always did want one, but didnt get around to it....only really use mine occasionally, but perhaps if I coulf get some netlnik games going I might use it more :)

Still can't see me using it more than the Dremacast though... :)
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
z3ntn3l

Post by z3ntn3l »

Yeah, i promise that i will try out my Netlink when i got it. :!:

Sega forever :wink: sadly, i never got a Dreamcast. After the Saturn i lost my interest in new Videogame-systems.
Sorry for my bad English.
segadreamcaster

I am very sad to hear that :(

I really suggest you invest in a Dreamcast, best console ever made in my opinion...you wouldn't regret it and you could then join in on some Dreamcast online action :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

XD
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
z3ntn3l

Post by z3ntn3l »

Yeah, i´m going to buy a Dreamcast. I played some DC Games on Chankast. Soul Calibur is awesome.

I own (all PAL):
  • 1x GameGear (with original Mortal Kombat 1 (Boxed!) confiscated in Germany! )
    1x Mega Drive II + Tototek Megacart (very good!)
    1x MegaCD II
    2x Sega Saturn (1x Model1 + 1x Model2(modded) with original Sega Wheel, 2x Model1 Contr., 2x Model2 Contr., 2x Analog Contr., 2x IR Contr., Action replay 4M Plus, 2x Sega Lightgun (1xBlue + 1x Orange)

and i think i need a dreamcast now :wink:
Sorry for my bad English.
Nightmare a la DC

Post by Nightmare a la DC »

Hey;
I just got a Saturn 2 weeks ago, however because the shop I bought it from didn't have any AV cables on hand for it, I have yet to play it; I'm waiting for one I ordered from Ebay. I paid $50 Cdn. and got:
Model 1 Saturn+AC adapter
2 Model 2 Sega pads
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Cop
Myst

I want to start a big fighting game collection for it, and who knows I may look into a Netlink as well.
...I'll think of one later, read something else.
segadreamcaster

z3ntn3l wrote:and i think i need a dreamcast now :wink:
Yep you go get a Dreamcast :D
Nightmare a la DC wrote:I want to start a big fighting game collection for it, and who knows I may look into a Netlink as well.
and you go get a netlink and games :P

Thats you two sorted out...goodluck :)

Welcome to the forums btw Nightmare a la DC, good to see you made it over to this neck of the woods :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
grolt

Post by grolt »

I bought my Saturn in November of 1995, after having spent several days just clamouring over the packaging and box art printed in low resolution in a page of my Sears Wishbook that year. Being only 12 at the time, it was a pretty monumental event, given the system went for a good $500 Canadian then. I had had a NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Gear and TurboGrafx16 prior, and there was no way I could resist the cool of Sega's new system. I admit being initially drawn to it over mere aesthetics - the sweet logo, the big case game packaging and the Sega brand, but for me it has endured for less shallow reasons.

First off, the architecture of the system was so ahead of its time. Had Sega not screwed themselves over with the back to back blunders of the 32X and Sega CD, and their surprise release date, they would have had an instant winner here. There'd be no Playstation. The hard drive was a stroke of genius, not to mention the internal clock that could trigger game dependent functions. Even the CD player was head and shoulders above the PS, with that nifty little flying ship activated upon minimization. And then of course, the NetLink, why we're all here today. Totally shortchanged (as so many of Sega's great innovations were) by a lack of third-party support and first-party confidence, the NetLink was that great peripheral that never really had a shot. What an innovation, then, to provide an internet connection to those who couldn't afford or customize their own computer to allow internet access. And of course, a great innovation for the games, with the potential to bring Sega gamers together in glorious fashion.

Microsoft basically built their foundation on the Saturn's architecture, with the hard drive and XBox Live system of gaming. As happened too often with Sega, other parties took their concepts to even greater success.

What keeps me playing the Saturn after all these years though, other than nostalgia, is the sheer diversity and quality of Sega's first-party games. Most write-off the system as a bust, but I can't think of any other system that showcased their first-party better than the Saturn. Nintendo had to carry their own flag for most of their runs with the 64 and Gamecube (the Wii looks little different), but even with such notable competition, the Saturn is unequalled in terms of first-party output. Nights, Astal, Panzer Dragoon, Bug, Clockwork Knight, Burning Rangers, Mr. Bones, and of course all of their amazing arcade ports demonstrated that no other system in history had the creative horsepower as did the Saturn. Considering third-party support went from weak to anemic, it is a testament to the losers (Sega) that they were able to remain contenders in the 32-bit race almost entirely by their own doing.

I've owned a lot of systems before the Saturn, and just as much since, but none resonate with me the way the Saturn did and still does today. As much as I love it today, I can't help but lament the fact it lived such a short life. Its capabilities remained largely untapped, and considering the graphical achievements the PS was able to pull off late in its life, the Saturn could have pushed the envelope even further. Imagine an RPG designed to interact fully with the internal clock, with stores only open during daylight hours, and bars and such at night. By also using time-specific texture changes like Christmas Nights did, it could have redefined the way the RPG worked.

But regardless of what it could have been, the Saturn was still great for what it was, and for me will always be the greatest console ever created. I'm glad I've recently invested in the NetLink...perhaps it can help take me back to a time when anything seemed possible for Sega's little system that could.