I'm so jazzed I have to tell someone!

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Scooter

I'm so jazzed I have to tell someone!

Post by Scooter »

I'm so jazzed I had to tell someone who could appreciate how I feel. I sent my Saturn in to be fixed at a local used game store (only $15.00 to repair it!) because the cart slot didn't work. It really hadn't worked well for all the years I've had my Saturn and I bought this one new. A friend had checked my carts and confirmed they still worked.

I got the Saturn back today and the memory cart didn't work. :evil: The guys who did the repair said they didn't have a cart to check it with so if I found it didn't work I could bring it back for another try. I popped in the Game Shark and that worked! I cleaned the contacts on my memory cart and it worked! The only bummer out of all this is that I had had some really good saves in the machine itself which I lost because I had let the back up battery go bad long before this journey started. Since I couldn't use my memory carts for such a long while now I wasn't ever able to get them onto the cartridge. Looks like I'll have to play through Christmas Nights and Mr. Bones again! Have you ever played Mr. Bones? It's a cool game that got much worse reviews than it deserved.

Anyway, happy days! :D :D :lol: :lol:
z3ntn3l

Post by z3ntn3l »

Yeah i can think how you feel.

Back in 98 or 99 my Saturn Power Supply died because a lightning hit our house.
After that i brought the Machine to a famous local electronic store but when they saw the Saturn they didnt wanted to repair it because "there was no official Data Sheet available from Sega"
One year later i bought a cheap Model 2 Saturn on ebay (which i modded by myself)
In 2005 i repaired my Model 1 Saturn by myself but the Memory Battery died too. All Save states was lost. My perfect Round Times in Sega Rally and Daytona... :( Everything lost!
Now i just use my Action Replay 4M Plus to save my Data... Its great! I can recommend it to everyone (only 10-15€ on ebay)

Yeah i know Mr.Bones. Its a 2 CD Game which was developed by Sega of America. Its a nice Game. I can remember the Intro when you see the masses of enemies... I didnt played it often...
Sorry for my bad English.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Mr. Bones was a classic. Even if you want to complain about the difficulty, graphics or even control (if you were really searching), it is pretty tough to deny the sheer originality of the game. I can't think of any other platformer with the sheer amount of gameplay options. No level was the same, and the kind of things Sega thought up with that is beyond words. A level founded simply on making a coherent guitar riff? Telling jokes? Saving a race of little people from spiders? The game had it all. Including the most frustratingly long and difficult level in existence - The Icy Lake. I'm still recovering from that one...
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

grolt wrote:Including the most frustratingly long and difficult level in existence - The Icy Lake. I'm still recovering from that one...
So I'm not the only one that got stuck at that spot? I think I avoided playing that game for about a year when I got hopelessly stuck on that level. I finally got past it and the rest of the game was comparitively easy!
grolt

Post by grolt »

Scooter wrote:
grolt wrote:Including the most frustratingly long and difficult level in existence - The Icy Lake. I'm still recovering from that one...
So I'm not the only one that got stuck at that spot? I think I avoided playing that game for about a year when I got hopelessly stuck on that level. I finally got past it and the rest of the game was comparitively easy!
Yeah, it totally seems anti-climactic by comparison, but in this case that is a wonderful, wonderful thing. It is not like the level is outstandingly tough, but there are just some really tricky moves and parts, and the pain in messing up is that you have to play the entire level over again, and it is damn long to begin with. Not only that, but you have to watch two FMVs, wait for the start screen to load, scroll all the way down to Icy Lake, then select it. Talk about hoop jumping. If the level would just replay (and why wouldn't it, it is not like players want to play a level once then go to the start screen) or even better have a checkpoint midway through, then I probably wouldn't have yelled all the obscenities I did to my girlfriend's cat. In the end though - totally worth it. That stained glass level afterwards...amazing.
That's fly.