Good Saturn ISO sites for making backups?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Nightmare a la DC

Good Saturn ISO sites for making backups?

Post by Nightmare a la DC »

Anyone know of good sites for downloading game files so I can make some backups of games I'd like to try out on my Saturn? BTW I just have a Model 1 console, so I'm going by means of the swap trick (I know the damage this can do, so I'm practising my swapping speed).
...I'll think of one later, read something else.
grolt

Post by grolt »

http://www.sega-saturn.us

That about covers it.
That's fly.
Nightmare a la DC

The site's being wierd, everytime I try to download a file, I get a little message to put in a username and a password, no matter what I try it sends me to a blank screen w/o the download.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Yeah its a membership site, you have to pay for a membership in order to download...nice site, but many games dont seem to be available?
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Nightmare a la DC

ya I noticed when I went to check out their stuff; they had a complete listing of the regional libraries, but not all of them had the actual ISO's. Are there any good free sites BTW, I'm not big on the whole buy a membership to download stuff thing.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Yeah can still get a lot of the games without a membership. Like Bomberman, Albert Odyssey, Daytona NetLink and a whole bunch more. Even with that it is still the best site I've seen.
That's fly.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Well unless im going mad (which isnt that unlikely) I can't see any game available for free download? I had a look at Daytona netlink and it looks as though its not avilalable at all to me...the only thing they seem to have is a collection of MP3's to download?
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
grolt

Post by grolt »

The ones that say "MP3 Version" mean that the audio has been compressed into MP3s to save on file space, but other than the clipping of the low and high frequencies it is the exact same game, and can be burned as such. Nero automatically converts the files from MP3 back to their original CD format. You just need a membership for the downloads that exceed 150 MB.
That's fly.
Nightmare a la DC

That sounds good, I'll have a smaller selection of games, but it doesn't really matter; I'm just looking for a couple of games to play while I try order more off the net.
ImportBoy

Post by ImportBoy »

That about covers it.
Thanks for the advertising Grolt :)

As of now we have 241 out of 245 North American games up. Anything under 150MB is free to download, if you want something over 150MB please make a donation....(sorry guys I have to pay for the bandwidth costs somehow....getting more and more hits a day).

The current game plan is:

-Finish the NA section this week
-Add all EU/PAL Exclusive Games
-Start on the Japanese section...which will probably run into the summer

MP3 version means that the game had redbook audio tracks that were compressed into MP3s to save on space...often considerable space. Virtua Fighter for example went from 500MB to like 30MB. Quality lost is not very noticable to me for most games, if at all.
-ImportBoy
Sega Saturn Information & Download Site - http://www.sega-saturn.us
kaneda@sega-saturn.us
grolt

Post by grolt »

ImportBoy wrote:

That about covers it.
Thanks for the advertising Grolt :)
Hey, no problem. You can repay me with a free subscription. :D
That's fly.
Nightmare a la DC

Ok, I successfully made a backup (Duke Nukem 3D), but I have one last question for swap trick users. For anyone who has successfully used the swap on a model 1 system, where exactly is the location of that switch you're supposed to tape down so you can play with the lid open? I'm having some difficulty trying to find it at the moment.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Nightmare a la DC wrote:Ok, I successfully made a backup (Duke Nukem 3D), but I have one last question for swap trick users. For anyone who has successfully used the swap on a model 1 system, where exactly is the location of that switch you're supposed to tape down so you can play with the lid open? I'm having some difficulty trying to find it at the moment.
Unscrew the top, and then just look where the lid closes down on. It should be obvious where the trigger is then. As I remember (it has been years), it was a small little black nub that got pushed down when the lid was closed.
That's fly.
Nightmare a la DC

Hmmm...I'm looking at the internal part of the system right now, and I still not seeing it. I found a pic of a Model 1 insides on the net (it's a forum thread so you have to scroll down a bit to see it): http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/for ... 6006843831

It showed several pictures of the innards of a Model 1, but the little lever that is supposed to be taped is not in that spot in my system, it's almost like it's missing from the Saturn altogether. I doubt that b/c you likely need this thing for the system to actually work, I must have a unique build or something.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Importboy, good to have you here at the site. I'll have to check out yours soon. It's good to know that there are places to get Saturn Backups from in case anything happens to the originals- the damn things scratch/break so easily over the years. After spending money on a Saturn collection, it can make a guy nervous :D . Thanks for the link btw, I'll do likewise to your site when I get my links section back up.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.