Packaging quirks

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
grolt

Packaging quirks

Post by grolt »

Use this thread to list the interesting anomalies that exist that help drive Saturn game collectors nuts:

ASTAL: The only game (as far as I know) on the Saturn that has no title on the spine. Instead, it is a big void above the Saturn logo. Weird.

VIRTUA FIGHTER 2 & SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP: The only two games (again, as far as I know) released with a grey background color (oposed to the whiter standard).

MORTAL KOMBAT II: Instead of the standard hard plastic disc holder, this one has a really flimsy soft plastic. Cheap cheap cheap.

DAYTONA USA CCE NETLINK: Without the standard NetLink logo above the Saturn sphere on the cover, and overall just very poorly differentiated from the standard CCE.

List the rest of your observations here, and maybe we can make a definitive list.
That's fly.
ImportBoy

Post by ImportBoy »

Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 2 -

This doesn't come in a standard Saturn CD case. Instead it opens up like a book with the manual in the front and the CD held in place on the last 'page'.

I don't know if it ever had a spine card, I got it used.
-ImportBoy
Sega Saturn Information & Download Site - http://www.sega-saturn.us
kaneda@sega-saturn.us
grolt

Post by grolt »

I guess I should add what we already know, that the Sega Rally and Virtual On NetLink versions come in jewel cases only. So too does the PlanetWeb browser - that would be sweet to display in big box glory!
That's fly.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Another nitpick is Sega going el cheapo for their last wave of releases, releasing stuff like LAST BRONX and BURNING RANGERS with flimsy manuals and spines without the trademark stripes. Did they really save *that* much money doing so?
That's fly.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Hmmm..very interesting thread...

The Sega brazillian publisher made cheap cardboard boxes with cheap black and white manuals... and some of the manuals with wrong translations... =/
some games came with posters and other stuff, some don't...

I really think they saved up some money doing this, but this isn't very demanded by collectors... only the brazillian ones, who like our version of the games, I generally valorize them more, because the portuguese translations, etc... =)

I'll post some pics later for ou guys who never saw this stuff... there's exclusive releases too! That was good days... when Sega was really strong... ^^
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
grolt

Post by grolt »

That would be great to see, Rogue!

I've noticed too that there seems to be three waves of North American Saturn packaging. The first is the best and the one we all love, with the shadowed logo on the spine and the grey stripes throughout. The second came about around late 1996, where The stripes were now gone but the manuals still backed by a thick outer cover. The last wave, for the scant few final titles like Burning Rangers, Shining Force III, Panzer Dragoon Saga and House of the Dead, were again without stripes, but the covers were now flimsy, and the shadow was removed from the "Sega Saturn" text logo on the spine, making it look very cheap and inorganic. Thankfully they stuck to the same big box packaging throughout, but it's a shame they cut the smallest of corners as the system fell in the market.
That's fly.
Manji

Post by Manji »

well i can think of one packaging quirk.

Panzer Dragoon Saga I've seen as having two different colored cd sleeves, either black or white.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I wonder if they just used whichever ones they happened to have laying around?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp2063 wrote:I wonder if they just used whichever ones they happened to have laying around?

What I read is that the first set of black sleeves was to cover the initial run of preorders. The white sleeves were used when they printed 20k or so more of the game after the preorder demand was higher than they thought.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight

Post by Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight »

ENEMY ZERO: Inside is a single holder for the disc and then three additional black paper sleeves. With cases as thick as they are it would have been possible to put in the extra plastic holder that fits into the case front and have a flipper in the middle.
I lost all my teeth in a deathmatch because... I'm straight teeth are for gay people, that's why fairies come and get 'em.

Duke 3D & Bomberman
Manji

Post by Manji »

oh yea i remembered that Working Designs made different disc art for their games. AO, Dragon Force & Magic Knight Rayearth.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Manji wrote:oh yea i remembered that Working Designs made different disc art for their games. AO, Dragon Force & Magic Knight Rayearth.
AO?

Magic Knight Rayearth. T_T The collector in me yeaaaaaaaarns to collect them all.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

Warp2063 wrote:AO?
oops. AO is abbreviation for Albert Odyssey.