The 32x Thread!!!

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Overwatch

The 32x Thread!!!

Post by Overwatch »

Lets relive the days of old and remember another great system shot down by society. Let the discussion begin! Let me start by saying that the 32x version of Doom is superb and that theres nothing wrong with that itty bitty border and the sound is everything the PC version was. The only problem is the missing BFG, but who really needs that anyway?
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Was it missing the BFG? I remember getting the BFG, but maybe that was in my Playstation version (it's pretty good too). The biggest limitation of the 32X version I ever saw was that it contained fewer levels than most other veresions.

My favorite 32X game is Virtua Racing Deluxe. It blows away the Saturn version by a mile. I played it again recently and was amazed at how simple and arcade-y it is (I'm a big fan of the Gran Turismo series) but it still plays well.

I recently bought Cosmic Carnage since it was a nice copy for less than $2 and boy does that game suck!

The best graphics I recall was Kolibri though I never really got very far in that game.

I wish I could find a copy of DOOM and MetalHead in pristine boxes. My copies are perfect except for the UPC symbols which I cut out for some kind of rebate. I have a few scarred Saturn games for the same reason. I wish Sega had had a better way to get their rebates/free stuff.

Does anyone else have any of the 32X/Sega CD games such as Supreme Warrior, Death Trap, Corpse Killer, Fahrenheit and that basketball game with Scottie Pippen? The graphics are better but the game play is the same. With the power of modern systems, why has no one made any live action video games for the new systems? The graphics quality would be so much better and the technology could be perfected a little more. Digital Pictures' games were always panned by the critics, but I found them kind of fun, but then I really like a game with a story. It also looked like the folks in the games are having a blast making them even if their performances are kind of canned or hokey.
Last edited by Scooter on Thu May 03, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightmare a la DC

Post by Nightmare a la DC »

I don't own a 32x but I have played some of the games on an emulator; I loved Knuckles Chaotix and Blackthorne, and Virtua Racing DX was cool, too. I did not like the 32x DOOM port, there was way too many corners cut on it; along with the BFG missing, there's no 3rd episode, no boss enemies, the sound's crap, and the monsters only have one frame of animation so they always face you, so you can't make those idiots kill each other to save ammo.
...I'll think of one later, read something else.
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

I see nothing wrong with the 32x port of Doom. I have fond memorys of waking up when I was a wee las (about 6) and seeing my brother playing Doom and Virtua Fighter. Good times.

Blackthorne was good to except I felt that there was to many actions like shoot backward, roll, jump.... I like Cosmic Carnage believe it or not because it has nice 2D graphics and that cool zoom in. To bad I suck at it.....
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

On the 32X I played only Chaotix, it's very cool... but I played only some stages...

the other I don't know... the 3D games that I saw don't look very good, well, that's it... it's a valuable item, in my opinion...

it's hard to find, and expensive for me... =)
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Blackthorne! I forgot about that one. That is one of the reasons I got my 32X. Kind of weird to get a 3D machine to play a 2D side scroller!

Shadow Squadron has some nice 3D to it but it is (for me at least) impossibly difficult at the higher levels. The Star Wars game was pretty good too.

I actually prefer the 32X version of Virtua Fighter to any of the later versions. Sometimes the simpler, original version is the best.

Now if I could just find a copy of DarXide.....
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

Ahh Darxide..... So pretty with your texture mapped polygons and multiple languages...And your $500+ price tag....

If you wish to see what the 32x can really do watch this movie. Its pretty crazy what this little thing can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOWZbydnlZE
Nightmare a la DC

Post by Nightmare a la DC »

Here's a funny video. It's the Angry Video Game Nerd's review of the 32X add-on, it is hilarious. www.screwattack.com (scroll down a bit to find it).
...I'll think of one later, read something else.