what 10 games should you own for your saturn???

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
madder128

what 10 games should you own for your saturn???

Post by madder128 »

now i know all the online games you need to own what 10 offline games you should own.
Cartman: "where is the nintendo???"
kennys dad:"we dont have a nintendo... we got a ColecoVision plugged into the black and white tv"
Kyle:"oh my god this is like a 3rd world country"

Southpark episode chickenpox rocks!!!!!!
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

Hmm, this is a tough one. Man, just 10!? Bah, I can't decide so I'll just list some good ones...I'm rockin' imports, so here goes:

Wachenroder - SRPG that totally went under the radar in 98. Full english guide available on the net and the game itself can be had for under like $12. Plays similar to Shining Force 3, with an excellent story and art direction.

Bulk Slash - An excellent 3D macross style game, before there ever was a good 3D macross game. A little pricey (around $50 - 70) but honestly, it's impossible to find a bad review for this game for good reason. Cranks out an insane amount of 3D and features huuuge screen filling bosses. Place this one right next to Bomberman as one of the best things that Hudson has ever done. Awesome...just awesome.

Last Bronx - Japanese version includes a second CD that shows you just how deep this game can be. AM3 arcade game conversion that pushes the Saturn to the max and gets Sega's little black box to perform like a champ. You can get it for around $10. If you're playing LB like Virtua Fighter with weapons, then you ain't playing Last Bronx right.

Grandia - This and Shining Force 3 (the last GOOD shining game) are a given. Grandia on the Saturn runs at double the framerate and actually manages to look better than it's Playstation counterpart. Problem - its still in Japanese (but has better voice acting than the translated version). A steal at around $15.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - I never really got into the Panzer world. But this game is sweet. It's short, but so soooo sweet. "The Drop" in this game still makes my jaw hit the floor, and the atmosphere is totally engrossing. This is around the $10 range.

Burning Rangers - Most folks'll say Nights, but personally, this is my favorite Sonic Team game. It has a early 90's Saturday morning cartoon feel and is a game everyone should try at least once. The graphics engine is really ambitious for a system not too well known for cranking out insane amounts of 3D. I remember when I finished it, I was actually sad that it was done. Final boss is freakin' incredible. Thumbs up. Around $30.

Guardian Heroes - No suprise here. The import version is cheaper at around $25. The Sat is a 2D beast, and this game is one of the best examples of that. Grab a friend, and kick some butt. Classic.

Keio 2 - In the same boat as GH, A great example of a type of game that just isn't made anymore. Really nice 2D platformer, that's just solid all around. Got this for $40 on launch...not sure of the price now.

Kingdom Grandprix - A racing/shooter hybrid!? Yup, and it works out really well. Basic rule of thumb is: the more you shoot, the slower you move. So essentially, this game is more of a dodge'em up than a conventional shmup. You think you've got shooter skills? Heh, I did too...this game totally humbled me. 2D lovers dream, everything is beautifully animated. Nothing gets the palms sweating like having to make the choice...do I shoot this enemy down and slip into 3rd place, or try to dodge his web of bullets and risk getting pegged?

Asuka 120 - Really beautiful 2D fighter from Fill-in Cafe. Open ended combo system would be an understatement. If you can think it, you can probably link it in this game. No two matches are ever the same, get an opponent that knows what their doing and you'll have a blast. With the really fluid animation...sometimes it's hard to believe this isn't a Capcom or SNK game. Can be had for around $25 - $35.

Anyone that owns Radiant...I hate you :P.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Bravo, Cidus, very nice description there. Very helpful for new Saturn buyers, definitely some things in there I will check out as well.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

Hey thanks!

I tried to get some good examples of 2D and 3D. Like while GH swamps the screen with enemy sprites and spell effects, Last Bronx is 60fps High res with at least 3 scrollplanes rotating or scaling at any given time.
TeamAwesome

havent heard of alot of those!

Post by TeamAwesome »

Those are alot of new names to me! i like panzer dragoon series, but the only game i can thoroughly recommend is Powerstone 2! that was by far my favorite!
I'm only explaining
the paradox
of
asking a
masked man
who he is... - V
blueshinobi

Post by blueshinobi »

Sonic 3d blast wasn't bad.
SEGA - Now With 20% More SONIC!!
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

Agreed :D

Looking at some reviews you'd think this was the worst game ever, but it really wasn't terrible. I think most folks dump on it just because it's not the traditional Sonic sequel they were hoping for.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Sonic 3d Blast is one of the first games I plan playing very soon :). Not a bad game, not at all, fun, and still has that light-hearted Sonic feel to it.

Cidus, agreed, Burning Rangers is completely awesome. I plan on playing through this one very soon too. Got a great vibe and attitude to it, nice graphics for a Saturn game, well done voice acting.

I just purchased the first Grandia, very well may try to get through it with one of those internet translations, is that what you did?
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

Xranger60 wrote:I just purchased the first Grandia, very well may try to get through it with one of those internet translations, is that what you did?
You got it! Just printed that thing out and started gaming...sure you miss a few side conversations, but original Grandia follows the same formula as Grandia 2: Battle in a Dungeon, Handle a situation in town, Rinse & Repeat. So you never have to worry about what to do next. Awesome game dude, enjoy! :) A really good example of 3D on the Saturn, and that water -effect at the docks *drool*...
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Sick! Can't wait to try it out then. Too bad that translation project was scrapped midway it seems, but I gather they were able to finish all the important parts.
bawitback

Post by bawitback »

Way to many favorites, hard to narrow this down. Aside from titles menchened from Cidus's post, here are mine in no order..

Sexy Parodius
Bulk Slash
Die Hard Arcade
Saturn Bomberman Fight!!
Fighters Megamix
Guardian Heroes
Gunbird
Burning Rangers
Street Figher Zero III - Only version which has Dramatic Battle which allows 4-Players at once. Best version from all PS/DC/GBA. 4MB RAM NEEDED
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter - 4MB RAM NEEDED

Never got into Panzer Dragoon series.
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

Nice list!

As odd as it might sound today, there are quite a few people who consider X-men vs. Street Fighter to be the best of the versus series. Even after all these years something about the presentation still screams "Look at me! I'm an arcade game!!" This truly is a great example of a game that just doesn’t age :D

It's also cool to see that you included Megamix...oftentimes I think a lot of us forget that not all of the Saturn's best games have to be ultra rare or obscure (Taromaru at $400+....gah!). Stuff from the AM divisions were pure gold on the system, and I can't think of 1 title from them that would run someone more than a couple dollars. Good call on this one.
bawitback

Post by bawitback »

Cidus wrote:Nice list!

As odd as it might sound today, there are quite a few people who consider X-men vs. Street Fighter to be the best of the versus series. Even after all these years something about the presentation still screams "Look at me! I'm an arcade game!!" This truly is a great example of a game that just doesn’t age :D

It's also cool to see that you included Megamix...oftentimes I think a lot of us forget that not all of the Saturn's best games have to be ultra rare or obscure (Taromaru at $400+....gah!). Stuff from the AM divisions were pure gold on the system, and I can't think of 1 title from them that would run someone more than a couple dollars. Good call on this one.
I totally agree! Its my favorite of the VS series, it runs the best on the Saturn as well. I just completed disk one of Panzer Dragoon Saga, (not sure why I ignored the series this long?) but I love it. I would have added it if I played it soonier. soo to make things clear;

I also recommend Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga. :lol:
Shenmaster777

Post by Shenmaster777 »

In no particular order...

Shining Wisdom
Sonic 3D Blast
Blazing Heroes
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Cop
Virtual On
Daytona USA
SEGA Rally
Striker '96
Don't have many saturn games, only 17 which I got with the system, the all of the hookups, and two controllers for $50, so I ican't think of a tenth game.
ViciousAlienKlown

Post by ViciousAlienKlown »

Nights into Dreams
Shell Shock
Daytona USA
Sega Rally Championship
Duke Nukem 3D
WarCraft II
Gungriffon
Andretti Racing
Manx TT
Command & Conquer
Virtua Fighter 2

I love the Saturn and it all started because Walmart was out of Playstations when i had the money to buy a new system. I eventually got a PSone but i sure love the fact that i got a Saturn too.