Saturn Memory Battery Backup

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Reps911

Saturn Memory Battery Backup

Post by Reps911 »

I just recently decided to play Resident evil for the first time. I know I Must of been living under a rock to have never played one of the defining games of the 32 bit era. The truth is i've never even set eyes on this game before. I've played 0,2,3,4, and outbreak but never the one that started it all. Well i'm rambling... back to the point. I put a battery in it from one of my old dreamcast vmu's. The battery has enough power to save my games when i turn the console off but wasn't powerfull enough to turn on the vmu so i'm sure it's gonna die soon. My question is if I turn the console on and then swap out the battery will my saves be okay? Or will i curupt the data?
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Turn the system on, and swap the battery while it is on. This is your best chance to keep your saves in memory. The worst that can happen is it gets erased, which is what will happen if you swap the battery while it's off anyway. So swap away!

Welcome to the thrill of RE1 :D . This is one of my all time favorites, a true classic. I've come back and beaten this one the most out of the RE's. I've been through it several times with the Playstation version and I plan on coming back and playing through the Saturn version once or twice. The fact that it's on the Saturn increases the cool factor big time.

BTW, I recommend getting a RAM backup cartridge too... You can't save directly to them but they come in really handy. They allow you to transfer saves from the internal memory to the cart, and thus they are backed up in case a battery dies or you want to swap with the system off.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Reps911

Post by Reps911 »

yeah RE1 is really interesting. first it's a lot harder than all the others. and 2nd the voice acting is so horrible it's funny :lol: And I am planing to get the memory cart just gotta find one. Also Resident evil has an option to save directly to the memory cart, so thats a plus.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

:lol: Always loved the voice acting. "Don't OPEN that DOOR!" Let me know how that swap goes, as I've never tried it with the system on. A few people on the internet apparently have done it.
Reps911

Post by Reps911 »

well battery swap went without a hitch. How long does a battery usually last? O and the parts that make me laugh the most are every time Barry shows up he always says " What? What is this?"
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Generally I'd expect the battery to last anywhere from about 2-4 years. Congrats on the successful swap, I know RE is one of those games you do not want to have to start over again if your save is erased.

Yeah, Barry has some of the most memorable lines in RE1 of the entire series.
nick944

Post by nick944 »

I always backup my save memory to my action replay to make sure I won't lose much when the save battery dies.
Own:
Virtual On Netlink Edition
Sega Rally Championship Netlink Edition
grolt

Post by grolt »

If you are using the official Sega brand RAM cart, you can save directly to the cartridge on most games. It's only the third party carts that you have to copy internal memory over. The batteries for the system itself last longer the more you play too, which seems like a paradox. When the power is on the battery isn't working (which is why you could successfully swap them out without using your data). Back when I used to play this all the time when I was a kid my battery lasted a good 6 years or so, it was phenomenal, really. Then I lost all my saves. Not so phenomenal. :)
That's fly.
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

It's also not phenomenal when you gotta reset the date and time every time u start it up....I did this for 2 months....then I was like....time for a new battery.