A question about the Netlink

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
SaturnsDream

A question about the Netlink

Post by SaturnsDream »

Hello, i'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place,

I've had my SEGA Saturn for donkeys years now, and its quite old and i only just recently found out about this Netlink, And i was like wow the Saturn had online play.

So i was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on where i could find one of these?

Also if i get one from America for example would i be able to use it on my PAL Saturn?

Also forgot to add, what PAL games are there for the Netlink?
Thank you.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Welcome to the forum! Ah, now for the questions. Most people here will tell you that you're either going to find this somewhere local (unlikely), or on ebay. There is a thread here entitled "NetLink Spotting Thread" for members to point out good deals they've found on ebay, and there have been some good ones over the years. So I suggest you go there. My advice: Do not spend more than $25-30 on a NetLink. If you see it for more, wait until you see a cheaper one.

As for a American NetLink on a PAL Saturn, Segadreamcaster will probably be able to answer this question for you, he's got a lot of experience with importing.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
SaturnsDream

Post by SaturnsDream »

Thank you very much for your help, is this online service free though? Or do you need to do the same thing you had to do with the Dreamcast and pay for it.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Were there even Netlink games for the PAL system.....?

I don't anticipate there being problems using the US Netlink on a PAL system, because the hardware is pretty much identical across all the regions, but the US Netlink games would be a different story. You can't play US games on a PAL system, not without modifying the system, or modifying both the system and the game. Or using a swap trick, which I would REALLY discourage. And you'd have to actually mod the system, because an importer cartridge AND the Netlink can't occupy the cartridge slot simultaneously...

Your best bet would be to buy a US system (you'd have to worry about power and video standards, though, if you live in Europe). If not that, the next easiest method would be doing the region mod for your system, which isn't terribly difficult or expensive, but does require some soldering ability.

I'm curious to see Segadreamcaster's response as well.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

SaturnsDream wrote:Thank you very much for your help, is this online service free though? Or do you need to do the same thing you had to do with the Dreamcast and pay for it.
If you already have a standard, dial-up land line, it's free. (It won't work over digital phone services (e.g. VoIP) though.)

The US Netlink directly dials up another Netlink. It doesn't go through any online servers.
SaturnsDream

Post by SaturnsDream »

Yes, after some more reading the PAL region didn't even get Netlink except the test market which was Finland. Which was kind of stupid really when Europe was SEGAs stronghold. So would the swap trick work on running US games? I've never looked into it myself.
Warp2063 wrote:
SaturnsDream wrote:Thank you very much for your help, is this online service free though? Or do you need to do the same thing you had to do with the Dreamcast and pay for it.
If you already have a standard, dial-up land line, it's free. (It won't work over digital phone services (e.g. VoIP) though.)

The US Netlink directly dials up another Netlink. It doesn't go through any online servers.
So being in Europe would the Netlink work?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It should work. You tell it what phone number to dial. Distance could make a difference, though. I've heard that long-distance Netlink calls aren't very stable.

There are a few reasons I wouldn't recommend using the swap trick:
1) It damages your drive motor. Maybe not a lot, but it adds up over time.
2) The Saturn reads not only the copy protection and region from the first disc, but also the length of the data tracks. If the track length of the disc you swap in is different than the length of the first disc, there's a good chance your Saturn will try to read past the data on the disc you swap in... and find nothing. Then it'll just crash. This isn't serious, but it means it won't work.
SaturnsDream

Post by SaturnsDream »

So modding it is my best bet? if so than good, the swap trick does look a bit messed up. Would a mod chip be able to read back-up files because i would like to see if i can get this Sonic X-treme demo to work on the Saturn.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

I'm here :)

Yeah, Warp2063 said most of what needs to be said really.

Unfortunately Netlink gaming for us europeans is less than straight forward...here are your options:

1. Buy a US NTSC Saturn - This will allow you to simply buy it (and a step down power converter) and use as you would expect...simple...trouble is it can be quite an expensive effort to get a US saturn over here :( plus the fact you would then have issues booting any PAL games, especially as you wouldnt want to keep removing the netlink modem to swap for import carts, as those cart slots are pretty fragile :(

Using this option you could also possibly swap the PAL power board (inside your PAL saturn) into your new US console...as long as the boards are the same - damn you sega for making so many variations...only kidding..love you really :)

2. Mod up your Saturn with a region switch (or switchless) and 50/60hz mod (optional) you would then be able to play your US imports without any trouble at all...very good option if you don't mind the hassle of a bit of soldering.

3. OK, possibly the best option for those who want to keep it as simple as possible...or at least in terms of cost and soldering anyway. Buy a Saturn mod chip so that you can play backups....purchase the netlink games and then rip them to a PC..change their region to PAL, burn TO A CD-r and boot up :) simple as.

The great thing about the saturn modchip is that it requires very little soldering...in fact it can be as little as one little wire.

4. Cart swapping...this is essentially a no go really but i'll explain it.

You load up the game with an import cartridge inserted and as soon as you are past a certain point you rip it out and slam in the netlink modem as quickly as possible...this must all be done very very quickly otherwise the saturn will not recognise the modem and you have to start again. I have tried this myself, but never connected to a game afterwards so I have never fully tested it. When you connect to a netlink opponent the game semi-resets and reloads which may mean a second check of the discs region, therfore killing the connection, but this has not yet been confirmed..may try this myself sometime if nobody else does.

Even if this works though...it's a very very bad idea...as previously mentioned..the saturn cart slot is fragile and I can gurantee your slot won't last long using this method.

Personally I would go with option 2 or 3...personally I have messed with all 4 options and those two middle ones would be my choice if you choose to proceed :)

Cheers, Craig

PS: Where abouts in Europe are you from?
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The Saturn is an interesting system in that there are two major problem points for imports and backups: the region code, and the copy-protection.

A modchip only overrides the second problem: copy protection. This means that your Saturn could play a burned disc, but only if it has the same region code as your system. To get around this, you would have to either change the region code on the disc, or change the region of your system.

Changing the region of your system involves changing the jumper settings inside the system. This is irritating if you have to do it a lot, especially if you want to go back and play games from your region again. So, some people solder wires to the jumper points, and then those wires to switches that they mount on the outside of their system. Whenever they want to play a game from one region, they just set the switch to the region of the game they want to play, and voila! (Accents missing because of laziness)

So, a modchip will read backups... but unless your Saturn is the same region as the backup, it won't work.
SaturnsDream

Post by SaturnsDream »

Thanks segadreamcaster that has really help, also i live in Norfolk. So do you know were i could find these Mod chips? if you don't mind me asking. because i'd rather use the actual game disc then have a back-up on a CD-r,

EDIT: i just read what warp just said. So i'm better off if i just get a US Saturn.
Last edited by SaturnsDream on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Warp2063 wrote:So, a modchip will read backups... but unless your Saturn is the same region as the backup, it won't work.
The actual discs won't work on a system that doesn't have a matching region. You'll need to do the region mod, not get a modchip.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

SaturnsDream wrote:Thanks segadreamcaster that has really help, also i live in Norfolk. So do you know were i could find these Mod chips? if you don't mind me asking. because i'd rather use the actual game disc then have a back-up on a CD-r,
Hey no probs :)

Well if you want to actually play originals on your PAL saturn there isn't (as far as I am aware) a pre-made chip that will do this for you, you would have to create it yourself...I did this once myself and it did kind of work but pretty un-reliable, could have just been me I don't know but I decided to change to the switch method so I now have two switches on my saturn:

Switch one:

This switches between EU-PAL and US-NTSC you could include Japan here as well if you want to but I couldn't be bothered with the extra soldering at the time :)

Switch two:

50/60hz region switch this allows you to use 60hz for the US games, therefore improving your picture qaulity :)

So to use the switch option all you need is some switches and thin wire (I used stripped telephone cable) all of which can be found in places like maplins

As for the mod chip to allow CD-r's take a look here:

http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/sat ... rnhard.htm (saturn modchip board V2)

The modchip will only allow you to play bacups however..so probably not what you are after..but if you did decide to use a modchip, you would still need to install a region switch or change the CD-r backups region to PAL using a program available online

Nice to see a fellow UK player interested...I will happily help where I can :)
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
SaturnsDream

Post by SaturnsDream »

Lol, you have to thank the game Sonic X-treme for getting me back into the Saturn, i always knew there would be someone left in the UK who still loves the console. This switch mode sounds interesting, so what components would be required i know obvious a mod chip, any particular type?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

You don't use a modchip for the region switch.

There's a guide at:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/file/916393/6458
in section IX, but there's photo guides elsewhere online. A Google search will find something easily.