A question about the Netlink

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

SaturnsDream wrote:Lol, you have to thank the game Sonic X-treme for getting me back into the Saturn, This switch mode sounds interesting, so what components would be required i know obvious a mod chip, any particular type?
Just a word of caution with sonic x-treme...its fun to look at for about 5 minutes, but thats it...theres no playability as such...a few rings to collect a couple of animals hopping up and down and the rest is grass...no enemies..nothing...you can explore the entire thing in about 1-2 minutes..lol....still interesting though if you like that kinda thing

To play sonic x-treme you will need a mod-chip (the one I listed above) but to play "original" netlink games you will need a region switch mod, i used a couple of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 3&doy=26m3
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
SaturnsDream

Post by SaturnsDream »

Lol, yeah i know that Jade Gully level like the back of my hand, 50 rings on that level, 2 Flickies and some strange moving hills. But it would be better for me if i played it on an actual Saturn. because Saturn emulation is just rubbish.

Also thanks for the switch link, Also what else would i need. I had a look at Warps link for that tutorial and i was like what...
segadreamcaster

lol...fair enough...obviously worth it for you then :)

So let me get this straight then...you want a mod chip to be able to play un-released/homebrew things like Sonic X-treme and you also want a region switch to be able to be able to switch region so that you can play original netlink games?

If thats the case then all you need to do is buy one or two of the switches I listed above (2 if you want to do the 50/60hz mod as well, which I would recommend) and also one of the mod switches I linked to earlier. Other than that all you need is some thin wire...if you have an unwanted piece of telephone/alarm or even a scart cable you should be sorted :)

Here is another link that will hopefully give you a better idea of what you need to do with the region mod:

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id= ... the_theory

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
SaturnsDream

Post by SaturnsDream »

I waited 12 years for Sonic X-treme to come out lol, nah i'll go for the Netlink, sounds more fun. Sonic X-treme can wait.

Also i'm beginning to get the idea now on what to do, but knowing my luck on consoles this year. Keep your eye out for BBC news, SEGA Saturn blows up in Teens bedroom.
segadreamcaster

SaturnsDream wrote:I waited 12 years for Sonic X-treme to come out lol, nah i'll go for the Netlink, sounds more fun. Sonic X-treme can wait.

Also i'm beginning to get the idea now on what to do, but knowing my luck on consoles this year. Keep your eye out for BBC news, SEGA Saturn blows up in Teens bedroom.
LMAO :)

In that case I suggest you have a look at the link for modding the saturn...open up your saturn and see if you can get an idea of what you need to do. If you feel happy about it go ahead and grab the switches and mod away :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
SaturnsDream

Post by SaturnsDream »

I'm off to Kings Lynn tommorow to pick up a pre owned Saturn, i don't want my one to get broken. But thank you very much for your help, i'll be reporting back on how it goes, i better get to sleep now i have work in the morning Night.
segadreamcaster

ok..no probs...just a word of warning..try to get a saturn with round buuttons rather than oval...they have more moddable boards for any future mod chip installations :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
SaturnsDream

Post by SaturnsDream »

So i have to look out for the Model 2 version, got it. Thanks,
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Heh, he's lucky. I didn't know what I was getting into when I first bought my Saturn, and I got a Model 1. I've known now for a couple weeks what a pain it'll be to get a modchip working for my system. When my modchip gets here, I'm going to have a LOT of fun rewiring it. :sarcasm:

Oh, well. I like a challenge. :D
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

I chose model 1 over model 2 as the swap trick is easier to do with it.
Btw, there is no problems about the disk being larger than the original disk : You only want the Saturn to read the security ring at the outer edge of the disk
Here's how the Saturn boots up : First, it reads the inside ring, that thing contains information on the disk's structure, so you want to have the CD-R to boot for that.
Then it reads the outer ring for the security informations that CD-R cannot have, so you need to swap with an original disk.
Then you swap back to the CD-R as the laser will read the inside ring again for actualy reading the files and booting up the game.
So really, if you get model 1 on internet don't panic, you don't need that modchip, just try to not swap too often (I've been swaping on my Saturn for like 2-3 years and still haven't met any problems, plus anyway buying a Saturn is cheaper than a modchip!)
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally Championship : NetLink Edition
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On : NetLink Edition
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

Hey warp if you do wire your modchip successfully I'll pay you to do another one. I already ordered one modchip and then did all the wiring but then screwed something up. I was pissed...but I don't feel like finding a model 2 and getting another modchip.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

XL2K5 wrote:Btw, there is no problems about the disk being larger than the original disk
It's not a matter of the disc being larger; it's a matter of the track being larger. The security ring is always in the same place, no matter what, so that's not the issue. However, the data tracks are varying sizes. If the Table of Contents (TOC) on the disc you're booting with is shorter than the one on the disc you're swapping in, you may experience problems with the music cutting out, or at worst, some of the game data will be outside the expected track length, and the game will crash.

To HoboJoe:
I'll let you know how I do. I've soldered before, and I'm not bad at it, but I'm by no means an expert.
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

Trust me, you're wrong
I've been using the swap trick for so long, with different disks and never got any problems.
The TOC is readen from your CD-R, and like you said the security ring is always at the same place, and that's the only thing the original disk is used for, it only reads the security code.
If you experience problems with the swap it's because you don't do it properly (Me too, I had problems before with music not being played or other weird behavior, that's because I didn't boot with my copied game, I booted right away with the original, so the Saturn reads your original game's disk TOC, which is what you don't want to happen since it's structure is different from yours)
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally Championship : NetLink Edition
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On : NetLink Edition
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Okay, I'll admit that I could be wrong on this. I read it from another website, and they could be wrong. However, it sounds plausible enough, and I wouldn't be surprised if it still holds true in certain cases, but is simply a less common occurrence. Maybe only certain games used as swap discs have this difficulty. They did note that it was usually long games such as RPG's that spanned several discs that did not like being swapped in. However, swap tricks still do cause damage to your drive motor and/or CD spindle. Of this I can speak from experience. It's a gradual thing, though, and can take years. I've got several devices at home with busted CD drives from swapping discs and swap-disc-like activity. While the motors aren't dead on all of them, some of the CD spindles are definitely bent, wobbling the CD and making it hard for the laser to read the disc. Sometimes the bent spindle causes the lens to collide with the disc, scratching it.
SaturnsDream

Post by SaturnsDream »

Ohh! i don't think Gamestation like me. They don't sell the SEGA Saturn anymore, the closest place for me to get one is in Norwich, so i'm bidding on one on ebay.