My Saturn...

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

My Saturn...

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, I've come to an unfortunate conclusion. Either my Saturn doesn't read game discs correctly (but regular music CD's just fine)... or the copy of Sega Rally I just got doesn't work properly. Unfortunately, the only Saturn discs I have are the web browser (which seems to work, although there's some weird graphic distortions here and there) and Sega Rally... so I have no way of being sure what the problem is. I need more games to test it with.

When I put the game disc in the drive, it told me that the drive was empty, even after restarting and power cycling. I wiped off the disc surface, and it no longer told me that the drive was empty, but I couldn't seem to do anything. None of the CD Music Player icons lit up, but I could go through the rest of the main system menu. Any input from those who have more experience with the Saturn?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

With the information available, I can say it can be the optical unit.

Can be... because you really have to test with other games to be sure.

Is the game much scratched? What type of weird things are happening with the PlanetWeb? Maybe you "think" they're weird, but they're ok...

Well, test it. It's better.

There's a way to "power up" the laser to give a new breath to the optical unit. But don't do that unless you're sure the problem is with the optical unit.

Don't forget to post the results here, so we can understand the problem. You know, to help others in the future... =)
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It definitely could be a problem with the disc. There are a few scratches on it... and the one that worries me most is a tiny scratch over one of the reflective rings on the disc... a thin reflective ring with a repeating pattern on it near the outside of the disc (not the one with the Sega copyright info). I've never seen a diagram of a Saturn disc, pointing out exactly where the copy-protection regions are, so I can't be sure if the protection ring is the far outside one with the Sega information printed on it, or if it's the thin repeating one inside that.

I sure hope it's not the laser. As I said, it reads audio CD's just fine, and it seems to read the Netlink CD fine...

As for the Netlink disc... the title screen image is totally garbled (and there's a little clock near the bottom with its hands spinning), and when you get to the "Welcome to NetLink" registration page, the image on the left side of the screen is not aligned properly... it's as if "Sega Saturn NetLink" were two images... and the way they're aligned makes them read like this:
______ATURN
SEGA SetLink
_____N

The disc however is in perfect shape, with no scratches. In fact, it was still sealed with its original security seals when I got it in the mail.

I'd test it with more games if I had them, but these are the only two Saturn discs I have, and there are no stores in the area that sell Saturn games. I don't know anyone locally who owns one, either, so I don't have a source of other discs to test. I'm working on acquiring more from eBay, but it takes time for them to ship.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Okay... things I've discovered since last time. Maybe this new information will help us figure out the problem.

I got my Sega Rally disc to work two or three times. I've been experimenting with different disc repair solutions, and at least I got to race once...

Anyway... on those several times that the disc actually ran (in between a lot of failed runs), I'd hear the drive actually rev up to a speed I've never heard it hit before. I'm guessing that's a good thing, because it played. However, on the rest of the times, I'd either hear a few noises from the machine, or none at all, and when I would open the lid 5-10 seconds later, I would find that the disc was still in the same position I had inserted it in (if it had rotated, it rotated to exactly the same position I put it in at). What happens when you do it? I wonder if my drive motor is on the way out... I may have to open it up and check on it.

Also, on one of the times I got it to work, I had the sense to plug in my Netlink. What I saw startled me... the same weird graphical glitches I saw with the internet disc, I saw on the Netlink menu before the game started. I'm wondering if there's a problem with the slot. I own two Netlink modems, and I've seen the same graphical problems with both. I should have taken a picture.

Well, I'm trying yet another disc repair solution, and I'll bring more information if I can get the disc to run again.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Well, this "thing" of the CD stoping at the same position ins't really a issue... like... every time you close the door it spins, so if you thought the motor got damaged just close and open it again, to see it spinning...

Have you tried this CD in a CD player? Try to listen the tracks on the PC or the CD Player, DVD Player, XBox, etc...

I think is my english, but what you meant with the slot?

Because the NetLink modem doesn't have a software, the software is in the browser CD. It's called an "Application" by the Saturn... o.O
Also, the browser works without the modem. The only problem is that it can't "dial" without the modem. Just that.
I'm ready to play!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

When I open the door, close it again, and then open it, the disc isn't spinning. I tested the disc in the oldest working CD player in our house, and it plays fine on that.

The "slot" I was referring to was the cartridge slot, or the expansion slot where you insert the Netlink Modem. It is labeled "Cartridge Input" on my system.

I know that the graphics problem and the disc not playing are two separate problems, as I've seen it now on two completely different discs, with two completely different modems. The only thing that was the same both times was the Saturn. I know that the modem doesn't contain its own software, but I'm wondering if it's causing some other problem with my system.

Edit: I've discovered why Sega Rally won't play. For some reason, that particular disc comes in contact with the plastic cover that protects the area around where the lens moves back and forth. I can see some tiny scratch marks in the plastic. I'm guessing that the disc is slightly warped, just enough so that I can't tell. This provides just enough friction so that the drive motor either can't or won't try to spin up the disc. I'm trying to decide on a solution on how to fix this problem. (The Saturn is a lot quieter when the disc isn't rubbing against the plastic. :P )

Still don't know about the graphics glitches. I'll work on those next.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Apologies for the double post.

By carefully filing down some of the plastic supports on the piece that the disc was rubbing against, I gave the disc enough clearance to spin properly. It now works every time. :D

I guess I'll ignore the Netlink graphics glitches. They only occur on Netlink-specific screens, and other than being irritating and difficult to see through, everything seems to work okay. I wonder if it's because I'm using the R/F adapter. If I had the RCA cable, I wonder if it would work better...

Either way, it means I can now add it to my list of working Saturn games (I now have one!) and I can move onto the testing a multiplayer game stage. :D
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I've seen graphics like these before. On an auction. The seller claimed the problem was in a graphical chip. Maybe you Saturn got a problem in 2D stuff? I'm not sure if that's possible, but try to play different games, like Nightwarriors or Street Fighter Alpha 2 (both very cheap, factory sealed and worth the buy) to see if the problem can be with "2D"... It's only an idea.. XD

Very weird for sure.

EDIT: Maybe some more specific problem. Coding GIF image files, I think.
I've got a Saturn that I believe there's a problem with the audio reproduction, but not the redbook or even game audio, but specific ones. Like those played in the browser. The player shows a graphic of the file, like a scope. And it can't play a single file, just makes a noise when trying to play.

Also, have anyone noticed something similar with the browser's audio player?
I'm ready to play!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

As you suggested earlier, I'm also wondering if this is a cartridge slot problem. You said it only occurred during "NetLink related screens." Does this mean it happens with the web browser disk too?

If this only occurs with NetLink related stuff, then it has to be isolated to the cartridge port, especially if it occurs regardless which NetLink modem is used.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Yes, it happens with the Netlink browser disc as well. However, it happens regardless of whether or not the modem is inserted when using the Netlink disc. Sega Rally won't bring you to the Netlink screen if the modem isn't inserted, so I can't check that.

I don't think it's the cartridge port anymore. If even a single useful pin on the cartridge port wasn't making contact properly, we'd likely see much more severe problems than just graphical glitches. I also have one of those Action Replay/memory expansion cartridges, and it works with no problems.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a problem with the 2D hardware in my system, or possibly a GIF problem, as Rogue said. I wonder if a newer version of the browser would have the same problem. Unfortunately, I'm low on cash at the moment, so I can't go out and buy the few Saturn games I can find indiscriminately to test. I do have a friend here (now that I'm back home) who owns a couple Saturns; the trick is getting in touch with her and seeing if she'll let me borrow any of her games.

I haven't seen the problem yet while playing Sega Rally without any Netlink screens, and it only provides a nuisance when I'm setting things up in the Netlink menus, so I think I'll survive. Still wish I knew what was causing it, though. I just don't have the stuff I need to test it.

One more glitch I've noticed: sometimes when I try to get to the Netlink screens in Sega Rally, the game will freeze on the giant Sega Rally logo before it gets to the Netlink title screen. This happens more often than not. Any thoughts? My best guess is just that the cartridge isn't seated properly. This happens from time to time, even with my Action Replay.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!