Saturn Direct Link Cable Pinout?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Justin9

Saturn Direct Link Cable Pinout?

Post by Justin9 »

Hi All,

I'm thinking about picking up a spare saturn console, getting another Daytona usa and hooking two up and building an arcade simulator.

The needle in the haystack seems to be the link cable. Does anyone know where i can find them or is I can replace it with a computer cable, or if it's just a straight cable and I can use a network cable or something modified to work.... i know it has a rectangled like connector, but I'm researching...
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Hi!

I think you know the only Daytona USA compatible with the System Link is the japanese one.

Well, if you don't know, here's the compatible list:

USA: Hexen

PAL: Hexen, Doom

JAP: Hexen, Doom, Daytona USA CCE, Gebockers, Gun Griffon II, Hyper Reverthion, Steeldom

Just these games.

About the connector, I never saw one. So I can't help about it... =/
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I found a buy-it-now auction on eBay that's selling one with a Japanese game, Gebockers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEBOCKERS-w-link-ca ... 18Q2el1247

I highly doubt that a Japanese cable would be incompatible with a US console. After all, the only major difference between a US and Japanese console is the settings of the jumpers inside, and that's very easy to change. Therefore, it should work fine.

I've bought stuff from that seller before, and other than a shipping delay due to a slight glitch in PayPal (so not the seller's fault), I've never had any trouble with them.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Justin9

Post by Justin9 »

thanks,

I have daytona usa CCE (owned it since the day it came out... as a matter of fact, I have owned my Saturn since the first christmas they were available, or maybe it was the second... i don't know, I have had it forever!!!!)

but anyway, I have aSuper Off-Road arcade cabinet and i dont have room enough for a full scale daytona usa so I'm trying to find a solution... this might work.... I have plenty of 27 inch tvs....

my only tough decision is if i should go ahead and get a dreamcast and get f355 for it and do a 2 player game with it.... both favorites of mine and my dads
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It's really up to you and your own personal opinions, I guess. I found a Dreamcast Vs. cable on eBay as well, but it's more expensive than the Saturn cable plus game. Also, depending on how much of the arcade experience you'd want to recreate, I would think it'd be easier to rig up an arcade-type controller for the Saturn than the Dreamcast. I could be wrong, but in my experience, it's a lot easier to rewire a controller with lots of pins than it is one with only a few.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!