3D transparencies

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
shinoco

3D transparencies

Post by shinoco »

I believe saturn can in fact do 3d transparencies, just look at the water in Burning Rangers or Panzer Dragoon Saga. In the levels of BR the water rotates and is completely transparent. Too many people seem to think Saturn doesn't do this.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I've read somewhere (don't have the link, unfortunately), that the cool transparency effects in those games were achieved by "faking" the effect.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The hardware only features half-transparency as a built-in effect. (Basically it halves the color values of the transparent item, halves the color values of the item behind the transparent item, and then adds them together to get the value for that pixel. Simple but only so good.) To achieve full transparency, game designers had to write their own specialized code. I remember reading that a few developers achieved this, but I don't remember which ones, and I don't currently know how they did it.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
grolt

Post by grolt »

It has been done a few times. Burning Rangers as already mentioned, and probably best with Sonic R. Graphics wise, that's that best display of the Saturn's power. The entire final level is devoted to transparencies within a crystal. Awesome stuff.
That's fly.
Manji

Post by Manji »

for an example of bad saturn transparency, in Resident Evil, examine the empty bottles in your menu and watch with horror! :lol:

capcom didn't take the time to get it right i guess.
Last edited by Manji on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

hmm... spoiler isn't very good...

For an example, just play Megaman X4 on the Saturn and on the PS on the "first" stage.

Of course only this can't define absolutely what to expect from other games, but it's not so far beyond the truth...
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D