What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm not that wowed at the size of the LaserActive - my middle and high schools occasionally (read: rarely) used LaserDiscs, so I've seen players for them a few times. The LaserActive isn't that different, size-wise.

As for the Action Max, I think I'd read about it somewhere before... wow. It's cool that you have it in your collection, but it isn't something that I personally would want to own, as nothing about it interests me. *Shrugs*
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

If you like light gun games and horrible FMVs the action max is for you. Look up the videos on youtube. These are 80s FMVs! So they really suck. I got it for free...I was helping my brother move and saw it and was like "Hey I remember when you brought this home in the 80's!" And he said I could add it to the collection as long as I keep it. So it's mosty nostalgia but if he ever finds the VHS games I'll definitely play them and put a vid up on the 'tube.

I've only ever seen a laserdisc once in real life. In the 7th grade in a science class. I was floored at the hugeness of the disc.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Yeah, it was mostly used for science classes for us, too.

Speaking of FMV, I need to get me some Dragon's Lair.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

bought 3 movies on Laserdisc off ebay. Diney's Aladdin, Predator and Predator 2. The Predator movies are pretty high in my all time favourite movies list.

Just now on ebay I bouth a VCD card for $100, complete in box. How's the price on that? If I wanted to sell it later would I be able to get my money back?

Talking to a guy on youtube I'm buying a Sega PAC for my Laseractive. For $20! Which is amazing. the PAC has troubles though...it won't allow Sega CD playback but he did test it and it will play the Laserdisc games and Genesis carts. It only matters that it'll play Laserdisc games since I've got a million Genesis' and Sega Cd's

Damn my collections starting to get pretty retarded now.

Next on my hit list is the CDi and then I'll work on a Neo Geo or Neo Geo CD.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:bought 3 movies on Laserdisc off ebay. Diney's Aladdin, Predator and Predator 2. The Predator movies are pretty high in my all time favourite movies list.
Nifty!
JerryTerrifying wrote:Just now on ebay I bouth a VCD card for $100, complete in box. How's the price on that? If I wanted to sell it later would I be able to get my money back?
Maybe, although they seem to often sell for less. I bought mine (in box with all manuals and packaging, but not sealed) for only $41, though, and mine's a JVC (Victor) RG-VC20, which is one of the most versatile units. It supports NTSC and PAL output modes, VCD and PhotoCD support, and menus in English. The cheapest VCD card I've seen on eBay was one for $30, and it was one of the very basic Japanese ones. Here's a guide on all the different VCD cards: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/ ... 6393/12540
JerryTerrifying wrote:Talking to a guy on youtube I'm buying a Sega PAC for my Laseractive. For $20! Which is amazing. the PAC has troubles though...it won't allow Sega CD playback but he did test it and it will play the Laserdisc games and Genesis carts. It only matters that it'll play Laserdisc games since I've got a million Genesis' and Sega Cd's
Cool. I'd personally be more interested in the PC Engine one, though.
JerryTerrifying wrote:Damn my collections starting to get pretty retarded now.

Next on my hit list is the CDi and then I'll work on a Neo Geo or Neo Geo CD.
A Neo Geo would be cool. :)
JerryTerrifying

A working TG16 pac goes for $400+ lol. Same guy's got a buggy one of those and willing to part with it at $250...still out of my range.
Manji

Post by Manji »

i gotta give a nod of approval for the Neo-geo. it's a collector's dream. it's old school cartridge technology with fantastic 2D games. the game cases are big and beautiful and fun to display if room is available. most of us remember the great arcade days and the Neo-geo was a big part of that.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:A working TG16 pac goes for $400+ lol. Same guy's got a buggy one of those and willing to part with it at $250...still out of my range.
I would so want to look at it.
Manji wrote:i gotta give a nod of approval for the Neo-geo. it's a collector's dream. it's old school cartridge technology with fantastic 2D games. the game cases are big and beautiful and fun to display if room is available. most of us remember the great arcade days and the Neo-geo was a big part of that.
I think it would be cool, but it's not something I'm likely to ever get. While I remember arcades, my parents would rarely let me play any of the games, so my arcade memories are mostly just of looking at the machines. Because of this, most of the games available on the Neo-Geo hold little to no nostalgia for me, which doesn't help. On top of that, I'm not really in love with the system and cartridge design or appearance. It's not bad, but it's not drawing me in. (Actually, the system isn't too bad.) Then, there's the price. All those things together make it pretty unlikely that I'll ever own one, unless there's some specific game that I REALLY want, and I find everything for a really good deal.
JerryTerrifying

Hey warp....is the VCD card region specific? Would I need to get one of those 4 in 1 carts in order to use it?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Yes, the VCD cards only work in their home regions. You have to either do a region mod or use a 4-in-1 cartridge. Otherwise you'll get an error message telling you that additional hardware is needed to run the VCD.

Fortunately, using it with the 4-in-1 cartridge is really easy. You just start up the system with the VCD in the drive and the cartridge in the port. You tell it to "Start Game", but then when it gets to the next screen (Start Game Options), press C to return to the CD Player, the system will recognize the VCD and quickly hop right in. At least that's how it worked on mine.
Manji

Post by Manji »

Warp2063 wrote:I think it would be cool, but it's not something I'm likely to ever get. While I remember arcades, my parents would rarely let me play any of the games, so my arcade memories are mostly just of looking at the machines. Because of this, most of the games available on the Neo-Geo hold little to no nostalgia for me, which doesn't help. On top of that, I'm not really in love with the system and cartridge design or appearance. It's not bad, but it's not drawing me in. (Actually, the system isn't too bad.) Then, there's the price. All those things together make it pretty unlikely that I'll ever own one, unless there's some specific game that I REALLY want, and I find everything for a really good deal.
true, some of my fondest gaming memories are of games like Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury. the cartridge design for the home games is pretty cool in my opinion. however the biggest impediment to its enjoyment is indeed the cost of some games. but for me i try picking up games along the way when the cash is available since buying $300+ game isn't exactly budget friendly.
Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight

Post by Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight »

This past week I bought a USB DataLink to hook up to my Action Replay Plus Cartridge and back-up my save states to PC. It works like a charm, I even used it to download homebrew games to the Saturn. The only trouble was finding them in "bin" form.
I lost all my teeth in a deathmatch because... I'm straight teeth are for gay people, that's why fairies come and get 'em.

Duke 3D & Bomberman
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I have a USB DataLink as well, but I haven't used it yet.

I won a copy of Duke Nukem 3D for the Saturn on eBay today. Finally, a copy in decent enough shape at a price I was willing to pay. After shipping, it came to something like $22, which isn't too bad.

I'm debating whether or not to pick up Phantasy Star III... >.>
JerryTerrifying

I got copies of Phantasy Star II-IV for $3 a piece at a garage sale a few weeks ago. All complete!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I got copies of Phantasy Star II-IV for $3 a piece at a garage sale a few weeks ago. All complete!
Lucky!

I actually already own the Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA (I-III) and the Phantasy Star Collection for the Saturn (I-IV, Japanese). I was just thinking about grabbing the actual cart. I didn't win the auction, though. Oh well. I still would like to pick up the Ultimate Genesis Collection for my 360 at some point, as it has Phantasy Star I-IV on it, as well as tons of other Genny games I'd like to play.