What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Yeah I loved that Starfleet Academy game for SNES. I remember it being one of the only things I ever found before getting it on Christmas. :P I don't know how it holds up today but I LOVED it.There'a few scenerios from the Star Trek movies and the Kobayashi Maru.
Game collection on my site.
Manji

Post by Manji »

JerryTerrifying wrote:And to Manji I don't know if I could play a game like Winning Post. Menu navigation is my enemy and why I can't stand playing 90% of rpgs. The only text based game that hasn't driven me mad was Snatcher.
yea i dont know why, but the music is really good and it's a surprisingly charming game to me. i couldn't recommend the game to everyone but there are a lot of neat features for the type of game it is. the only game of it's type as far as i know. you get to name a couple of your future race horses at the beginning with cool names like Echo and Eclipse and then you look at tons of information surrounding the races, owners, farms, etc. on a week by week basis and the ultimate goal is to win the French Grand Prix. you can place bets on races if your own horse is participating or not which is kind of cool too. thats the way you earn money in the game. although, i've really only played about an hour through.

i remember other text-based games i liked. Radical Dreamers which was part of the Chrono-game timeline, and Famicom Detective club on SNES.

as for Sega systems, i think the Wonder Mega looks pretty damn cool. led lights surround the disc hub and it can be opened via remote.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Manji wrote:as for Sega systems, i think the Wonder Mega looks pretty damn cool. led lights surround the disc hub and it can be opened via remote.
As awesome as that is... I just can't justify the cost, not when I have both an operational Sega CD and a CDX. And it's not like I can change the disc unless I'm physically next to the system, anyway, where I can just hit the eject button. It's a really awesome feature... just one I can't justify.

Also now pursuing Radical Dreamers, which I was not aware of.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

3 more Saturn games to add:

Nightwarriors
Die Hard Arcade
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

my first time playing Die Hard Arcade and its pretty cool. the only thing i dont like is the frequent screen transitioning. i like being able to roam around in a bigger area than just one room at a time. other than that, it's action packed and kind of funny at the same time.

Nightwarriors is the Darkstalkers sequel and of course its awesome. animation is really great and Saturn handles the 2D fighting with ease. really good stuff. Donovan is probably my favourite because i always seem to pick him.

SPF2T is really fun too. easy to play, probably more fun with another person.

it's a good day for games!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

All good adds to your collection. Die Hard Arcade is one the many gems that you cant find on another console. Its a fun beat em up arcade title. Nothing overly flashy. My brother and I used to play it each year at a rest stop near Syracuse. Wed go camping in the Adirondacks every year and would always stop there to get something to eat. We could always count on Diehard Arcade being there. Never beat it until 2 years ago when I got it for Saturn. Good stuff.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Manji

Post by Manji »

and the hits keep coming.

today i bought:

Sonic Jam
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos

and a Gamecube game, Eternal Darkness.

well i was pretty stoked to see Sonic Jam and Croc. both games i wanted to get. Sonic Jam because it's Sonic on the Saturn, and Croc because i like platformer type games. i'm gonna be playing both of these tonight 8) - with shades on.

not really. but i will be playing them :D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I love Eternal Darkness. In fact, it's the only survival horror game I was ever able to get into. It's not actually a great game; just very memorable in its uniqueness. I LOVE the sanity effects. They're best when played in a dark, quiet room. I'm not sure if turning the game's volume up or down is better. Back when I played it, I couldn't let my parents know I was borrowing the game, so I had to play it at night in the family room very quietly so as not to wake anyone up. (I didn't have my own TV then.) I think playing it with the volume so low actually made it worse, as I was forced to pay very close attention to the game.

I love that game.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Im waiting for the sealed copy of Eternel Darkness at my local WalMart to drop. Its been 49.99 for like 8 years :) But have always wanted to play.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

xDerekRx wrote:Im waiting for the sealed copy of Eternel Darkness at my local WalMart to drop. Its been 49.99 for like 8 years :) But have always wanted to play.
That's... actually pretty impressive. How has it not price dropped yet? :?

I think I bought mine used from a game store I used to work at.
Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight

Post by Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight »

Eternal Darkness is def one of the best games I've ever played. I'd even re-buy it if they came out with a Wii edition.
I lost all my teeth in a deathmatch because... I'm straight teeth are for gay people, that's why fairies come and get 'em.

Duke 3D & Bomberman
JerryTerrifying

I got Mega Bomberman in the mail today. It's awesome! I want to go to the used game store up the road and pick up some Genesis multitaps I saw the last time I was there. I'm also going to pick up some 32X games the next time I get up there. I got one on ebay the other day, after my $10 gift certificate on ebay and the $5 I had in my paypal account it only cost me $7. Pretty awesome. I hope I get that in the mail today. The waits been killing me!
rygod

fresh from earth

Post by rygod »

so i am just now getting my feet wet with Saturn for one game only

XMEN vs Street Fighter

I have two sticks, the game, the ram, and Action Replay all in the mail... i just need the system itself!

I am in New York and have been trawling ebay to buy a unit... just need to win one or get some solid advice as to what model is worth getting over another... is it worth the expense to find a new one? or just go for $30 beater? go japanese used and pay the shipping?

can't wait to get this all set up!

then i can worry about the joys of netlink gaming!

thanks for you guys keeping some saturn site alive!

I have just recently become a video game fighter zealot... i am deeply caught up in SFIV... but have been doing my history lessons which has lead me here! Hadoooken!
Indestructible
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Sweet! I do enjoy the occasional fighting game, although I'm really not very good at them.

You shouldn't need to go buy a new system... I own three pre-owned systems, and all of them work fine (although the model 1 doesn't read certain disks quite as well, and one of my model twos is a little louder when it comes to the lens moving). One I chanced upon at a hole-in-the-wall gaming place I found at a mall. Actually... that one didn't work quite right when I first got it. It wasn't until a few months later when I had some tools that I was able to open it up, figure out that the disc was rubbing against the inside of the drive which prevented it from spinning, and then repair that flaw. After that, it was fine. But that place didn't have a game to test the system with, so they couldn't have known that it was flawed when they sold it to me.

Anyway, usually if you find one online and it says it's tested to work, that's probably sufficient. The Saturn is relatively durable... usually if you find a good/decent-looking system, it was probably cared for well enough that it will still run. One thing you won't find out quite so easily is if people have performed the swap trick on it much. One of the three systems I bought was modified to run with the drive open, but when I questioned the person who sold it to me, he said that he'd bought it from someone else and hadn't even noticed. Until I finish reassembling my other model 2, that one is my main system, as it plays all of my games without complaint.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. Long story short, I'd recommend a decent-looking model 2 (round buttons instead of ovals) US system. As long as you bought the right kind of Action Replay (4-in-1) cart, you should be able to play most games from other regions. The only one I know of that won't play with the cart in would be Panzer Dragoon Saga, as all regions of the game check to see if you have a cartridge in your system and prevent play if it's detected. You don't need to spend the extra money on a Japanese model unless you really want to. I also recommend the model 2 because I think the graphics look better than on my model 1. They shouldn't, but they still look better to me. Unless you plan to perform the swap trick to play backups, I don't think there's any really compelling reason to own a model 1.

Darn it... it wasn't that short after all.
Manji

Post by Manji »

@ rygod:

hey welcome to the boards. i'm a fighting game fan myself. i'm about low to mid level skill when it comes to them but i really enjoy most of the 2D fighters out there. 3D ones a little less so but still i can find a few i like.

since you're getting into Saturn, there's actually a great selection of available fighting games. SNK ported Samurai Shodown 3 & 4 for Japan and also Real Bout Fatal Fury & King of Fighters. Capcom has a lot of them like Street fighter Alphas, Darkstalkers, Marvel vs Street fighter, Xmen vs. Street fighter. and other sort of obscure ones like Waku Waku 7, Astra Superstars & Cyberbots.

also dont forget Virtual-On is a fighting game too. so when you get your netlink, you can hook up some games to play with some of us from the board.
JerryTerrifying

I'd say get a cheap Saturn. I won a Saturn for $2 and another for $3 on ebay and they both work fantastically and one came with a memory cart. I'm always willing to go up to $5 for untested systems as they can be good for parts, cases for painting or just might work.

I just got a model 2 SNES that's not working for $5. Its said it doesn't power up...never know might just be a dead power supply and the seller doesn't know crap about games or have nother supply to test it with. Or it might be something for me to work on. At least then I'll have Ever Nintendo console in my collection.

Got my 32X earlier today! The power brick that came with it was dead. Apparently when you try to play a Genesis game with out any power going to the 32X you still get sound. I managed to get to a checkpoint in Sonic 2 with a blank screen! Woo! But then I swapped power supplies and it worked great. At least as a pass through for a Genesis game. Tomorrow when my girlfriend goes home I'll go up to the used game store and see if they've still got that copy of Star Wars Arcade that's been sitting there for years. If not I'll also go to the Flea Market and see what they've got.