What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Well the place I got it from it was listed at $15.99 but I don't always buy my games when I go in there. That's the place with the guy that rips people the fuck off. So occasionally I buy games but also make sure to get some of those special ninja discounts to offset their rip off prices and the guys douche baggery. So I bouth the other two Genesis games that were like $9 together then got Sparkster for free >_>

So far I like it just as much or more than Rocket Knight Adventures. And think it's definitely worth $12 complete. King of the Monsters 2 was pretty cool. I only played a couple fights. I spent most of my time with Sparkster and Pokemon Colosseum.

Yesterday I picked up Strider for $2.99 at a thrift store. Came with the manual but no case. Sweet deal for a sweet game.
Game collection on my site.
JerryTerrifying

Warp2063 wrote:

I'm stealing your Pokemon tagline. I like it.

I think the battery on my Red died a while back. I revived it somehow, but it's probably dead again by now. I have classic memories of it, but it hasn't aged well. I think the GBA ones were the epitome of Pokemon. When I'm truly feeling nostalgic, rather than playing Red, I'll just fire up a .gbs player and listen to the music from it. As much as I loved my Game Boy Pocket... I just can't really deal with it anymore.

I finished LeafGreen back when Diamond and Pearl came out. I finished Sapphire not long after it first came out. I own Emerald, but never got all that into it. Back in the day, I cleared Blue once and Red once (maybe twice?), and I cleared Silver. Never finished Crystal.

I think that's a good price for a VB. I'm also thinking about getting a Game Gear. Maybe I can mod one?
Lol yeah Gotta Catch Most, Gotta Catch most...POKEMON!

I bought Diamond when it came out because I was interested in the wifi features and being able to trade and battle online. I've done some trading but haven't done any battling and would most likely lose to any serious players. I don't worry about hgaving the best movesets or EV training or any of that bullshit. I just like using the pokemons I think are cool and catching as many as I can.

Then a few months ago I decided I'd try and catch up with the GBA pokemons. I definitely like that I can migrate pokemon from the GBA games into my DS game. That's way col. I also have Pokemon Ranch on Wii. fi you upload 1,000 pokes to that you earn a legitimate Mew. so I've got like 550 or so pokes uploaded so far towards that goal. I'd love to have a legitimate mew.

I'd always thought about getting Pokemon crystal and probably would have had my battery in Gold not died. Maybe had I gotten that earlier, put in a new battery my beloved Charizard would still be with us. It wasn't just Fire Face that died it was his entire family! I had a Charmander and whatever the middle evolution was that I was working on leveling upto 100 that I bred from Fire Face at the Day Care Center. Damn battery dying killed his entire family! It's bullshit! Fire Face was the only pokemon that I did train well and looked up good movesets for and all that. Now all my Pokemons from Red/Blue/Yellow/Silver are saved to Pokemon Stadium for safekeeping.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm going to have to get Pokemon Ranch now, if only for the legit Mew. Playing with the Pokemon sounds fun, too.

I don't think I'm going to get around to uploading to Pokemon Stadium, though... there are no Pokemon I care enough about on my early games anymore to try to save. All the Pokemon I actually trained up to 100 are gone now, gone the first time Red's battery kicked the bucket. There's no big reason for me to go back to any of the early ones, either, especially now that all of them will have GBA or DS remakes/versions.
Last edited by Warp2063 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, I gave into temptation and threw out a bid on a Game Gear, which I won for $12.50 plus $15 shipping. I have mixed feelings about acquiring it, though, as I only have so much desire to actually play it, and the seller didn't test the system before selling it. On the bright side, it comes with a battery pack, the cleaning kit, the manual and battery pack instructions, the carrying case, and five games:

The Majors Pro Baseball (w/ manual, no case)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (w/ manual, case)
Sonic the Hedgehog Chaos (w/ manual, case)
NBA Jam (w/ manual, case)
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (w/ manual, case)

Well, now that I've won that, I'm thinking of grabbing a few other games as well, including the first Sonic and maybe Pac-Man. There are a couple imports I want to look into as well. And then mayyyybe the Gear Master converter for Master System games if I find some I want. I also found a cheap Power Base adapter for the Genesis.

I really didn't mean to invest so much into this. =P

Maybe I should hurry up and do my taxes so that I can (hopefully) get a refund, and then I won't care so much.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

Game Gear is a nice handheld. it's essentially a portable Master System and the Master System was really great hardware. nice color palette, good games resembling their home console counterparts and some good exclusives (even though i can't name any off the top of my head :lol:).

especially during the time when it was first released and some time after, it was a premiere handheld because it displayed gorgeous color. next to the monochrome Game Boy, you think it would have been a larger success for Sega, but i dont think it did bad.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

As far as I can tell, the Game Gear had three major things going against it: price (about 67% more expensive than the Game Boy at the time), battery life (5-6 hours on 6 AA batteries compared to 10-14 or so on 4 AAs for the Game Boy), and failing to enlist enough third party developers to produce quality titles. I'm not sure, but Nintendo's policy at that time of punishing game companies that tried to publish on other game systems with chip shortages and such during holiday seasons may have had something to do with that. Or maybe that was over with already? Still, it would have had an impact, even after it was stopped. Companies would have already been used to developing for Nintendo, and not all of them would be ready to risk working on another system.
JerryTerrifying

Yeah Pokemon Ranch isn't the greatest thing ever. There's really not much to do other than using it as a place to store extra pokes. But I'm just after that legit Mew.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

$10-ish for a legit Mew? Not bad.
JerryTerrifying

It is fun to see an army of Bidoofs running around. :D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:It is fun to see an army of Bidoofs running around. :D
I hope it will be compatible with SoulSilver and HeartGold, although I imagine it will be. I plan to populate it with the entire alphabet of Unowns. :D
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

Game gear... nice system, even if it DOES gorge on batteries. Still, I have an AC adapter, and a crap-load of rechargeable AAs, so it's not such a huge deal for me anymore.
I remember the bad old days, trying to bum money off my parents for batteries from my Game Boy Color... never again.
The only thing that pisses me off about the GG is, surprisingly, the screen. It's even more blurry than the Original Game Boy, at least when handling moving objects.
Also, I took one apart that died on me... you wanna know how its back-light works?
It's a damn fluorescent bulb in a reflector behind the screen.
Yeah, not power-draining at all...
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I knew about the fluorescent bulb. But back then, they didn't have the tech for anything better. That's what laptops have used for a long time. Only in the past few years have better alternatives come out. Part of the reason I bought a GG is to see if I can do some mods to it... maybe bring the power demands down a bit.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I have no interest in the Pokemon games. But anyone play that game Fossil Fighters for DS? Im a big dinosaur nut and that may be the game that could get me into those types.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

There is a guy on Sega-16 that does conversions on Game Gears and Nomads to replace the flouro bulb with very bright LEDs. Looks pretty nice and greatly extends the battery life. Another guy has converted a Nomad to a TFT screen which looks very nice.
Daytona CCD: NetLink Edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On: NetLink Edition
Sega Rally Championship: NetLink Edition
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Scooter wrote:There is a guy on Sega-16 that does conversions on Game Gears and Nomads to replace the flouro bulb with very bright LEDs. Looks pretty nice and greatly extends the battery life. Another guy has converted a Nomad to a TFT screen which looks very nice.
I saw an LED guide already. Thanks for the heads-up with the TFT guide!