What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Manji wrote:hey everybody. i bought Quake for the Sega Saturn today. found it for $10. i might have played a Quake game at some point in time, but i dont really remember. is Quake on the Saturn pretty good? i dont have my saturn hooked up right now so i haven't had a chance to play it.
Quake was one of the best acheivments on the Saturn.

It got mediocre reviews at the time, but the truth is it really showed off the Saturns lighting and 3d polygon capabilities. Its my favorite version of Quake and not even Playstation was able to release a port of the first game. Lobotomy software ported it, along with Duke Nukem 3d for Saturn - which was also considered the best console version of the game released at the time.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, I bought it a while ago, but last night I repaired the Game Gear I bought. I replaced all the surface mount capacitors on the audio sub board and on the main board, and resoldered the power jack. Now the colors on the screen look a bit better, the contrast is good, the audio is actually audible (in fact, it can get really loud!), and I don't have to hold the power cable in at an angle while playing to keep it turned on. I haven't tested it with batteries yet, because I have yet to find six AA batteries lying around. I also bought the parts I needed to perform an LED backlight mod for the system, but I decided not to do a third mod for the night. It was already past 3AM, anyway.

The only thing that wasn't fixed is a few lines of pixels on the screen that light up slightly differently than the others. The problem was there before I started, so I know it's not my fault, but I have no idea how to fix it. I'd hoped the capacitor replacements would fix that one. Maybe it's a defect in the screen or the circuitry for the screen?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I got another VCD card for $20 bucks. The RG VC20. Which lets you use photo CDs too. I also got a super cheap american released VCD movie to test it with. I know I can burn them but I thought it'd be cool to have an actual retail VCD movie from the states. Naturally the only thing I could find was Clueless hahaha.
Game collection on my site.
Manji

Post by Manji »

picked up a sega cdx in the wild today. actually i had seen it in the store a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get it out of my head, so i bought it today. also picked up rocket knight adventures. looking over some sega cd games i might get and realized that sega cd has quite a few gems.
JerryTerrifying

You must play Snatcher and Wing Commander. The Sega CD has no copy protection so burning games is super easy if you want to go that route for Snatcher but no matter how you play it it's a timeless classic must play masterpiece. Wing Commander is inexepnsive but try and get a complete copy because you'll need a manual and there are no FAQs at least not that I could find for the SCD version.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I feel like at some point I'll end up with a sega cd, no matter how little I'll end up using it in the long run.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
JerryTerrifying

I've bought a lot of crap since the last time I posted here. I accidentally won a Memorex VIS much to my dismay. Inversely I bought a JVC X'eye for $80 bucks! Wooo! Very happy about that.
kandiman1224

Post by kandiman1224 »

I just bought my first saturn netlink and virtua on netlink edition on ebay! Looking forward to trying it :)
Kira would like to have your signature.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Inversely I bought a JVC X'eye for $80 bucks! Wooo! Very happy about that.
Nice! I kind of want one.

I guess I should mention that my copy of Pier Solar: The Great Architects for the Genesis finally arrived after I preordered it more than a year ago. So far, I really like it! Wish I had a Nomad to play it on the go, but then I'd miss out on the enhanced music that the Sega CD allows for...
JerryTerrifying

I ordered one of the second print ones and am waiting for it to arrive. It was supposed to ship Mid February but I haven't heard anything about it yet.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I think I got notification that they were shipping back in December, then received it this month.

Another nifty fact- because I got the special edition, my name is in the manual. :)
JerryTerrifying

Yeah I'm a little bummed that the second print run costs exactly the same as the super version pre orders got but has way less crap. Today I got my email saying it's been shipped and to expect the game in the next 20 days. So I'm pretty excited!

I've been making a public access show, basically like my youtube channel but in a 30 minute format, and am going to do an entire episode on homebrew games. Compare the download and burn games and the homebrews that see full physical releases.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Preorders were definitely a special case. People were putting money down on a project that really had no safe, big-company backing. They were helping to pay for development. Therefore, Watermelon gave more incentives for people to buy the first, unsure batch, helping them to recoup the costs of manufacturing.

Why should the people who didn't help out in the beginning get the same privileges?
xDerekRx

Re: What did you buy today?

Post by xDerekRx »

Its been so many months I need to bump this thread.

Havent been buying any Saturn stuff lately. I really need a new game to play for it.

I have almost always bought Saturn games off the internet... as its tough to find them in the wild obviously.

However my local Oogie Games store (mom and pop type place they have 3 locations, kinda like GameCraze in Rochester Warp) just got a copy of Shining Force 3 in .

I couldnt believe a game of that caliber was traded in. It looked to be fantastic condition as well. Price tag was 99.99 which is fair these days considering online prices. I won 45 in store credit at a mortal kombat tournament there a few weeks ago and figure this would be the most fun way to finally pick up Shining Force 3.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
JerryTerrifying

Re: What did you buy today?

Last game I bought was Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Waiting for it to show up in the mail. Also I got an Onlive set top box for review coming in the mail.