What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Scenario 1. It was the only one that particular seller had available. However, it comes with the spine card!

... Not that I really care about the spine cards, but some collectors do. *shrugs*
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

I just went nuts on Ebay. I bought a saturn first and got excited. This lead me to my garage where I found my old Saturn, so now i have 2. Which is good because I took one to work. I also just went online and bought about 20 different games to get my collection going. Most of the games were in bundles and pretty cheap. Now im ready to buy some of these classics you guys are talking about. Keep em coming goof nfo in this thread so far. Just bought astal because of it.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I finally got all those games I ordered today. I should build that region switch mod now, so I don't have to deal with my Action Replay anymore.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

Warp2063 wrote:Not that I really care about the spine cards, but some collectors do. *shrugs*

i'm the same way in that i dont care about the spine cards. sure, it makes a game officially complete, however i dont even know what to do with those things when i have them. do i keep them or throw them away? if i want to play a game, i just want to open the cd case and pull out the disc and start playing. if i always had my games wrapped and looking nice with the spine cards attached, it would take me too long to get to my game when i want to play it. so for me, if a game happens to come with the spine card, that's fine, but it stays lodged on the inside of the cd case or tucked away in the instruction booklet.
Warp2063 wrote:I should build that region switch mod now, so I don't have to deal with my Action Replay anymore.
good luck with that. i would love to have region switch on my saturn, so if you get yours done and it turns out well, i will ask you to service my saturn too :wink:. you should start a business because i'm finding my action replay to be somewhat fickle.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Manji wrote:so for me, if a game happens to come with the spine card, that's fine, but it stays lodged on the inside of the cd case or tucked away in the instruction booklet.
I do the same. It's nice to have, but I can't read much of it anyway. I keep it inside the case or in the instruction manual so that it doesn't get lost or in my way.
Manji wrote:i'm finding my action replay to be somewhat fickle.
I have a similar problem... but I don't think it's the Action Replay that's fickle... I think it's just the cartridge port. Oftentimes I have to reseat my Netlink or memory card several times to get the Saturn to fully recognize the device's presence. It's just not a very good cartridge port, probably because it wasn't designed for heavy use. It's probably just a put-it-in-right-once and leave-it-in-for-a-while kind of port.

Looks like I don't have a choice about that region mod: Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG detected my Action Replay cartridge and told me to remove it... then it dumped me back to the Saturn's main menu. Apparently all the versions can detect if you have a cartridge in your system that's defeating the system's region lockout, and they all give you that same message... however, with the US and European versions, there are Action Replay codes you can enter to get around it. So far, I haven't found a code for the Japanese version.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Sorry for the double post again!

New things I've ordered:

Panzer Dragoon (JP)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei 2 (JP)
Phantasy Star Collection (JP) (Contains Phantasy Star I - IV!)

And Popful Mail (JP) for my Sega CD.

And I bought all the parts to build the region switch mod for my Saturn. Now I just have to get up the courage to cut holes in the case for the switches. :(
Maybe I'll just buy a spare battery cover off of eBay and cut the holes in that instead...
Manji

Post by Manji »

good luck with that mod, let us know how it works out. as a side note, i must mention that i love Popful Mail! ive been wanting to get that one.

yesterday i got Sonic 3D Blast, i've never played it before on the Genesis or Saturn, but i watched some gameplay video and it looks like fun to me. i dont know the differences between the Genesis and Saturn version, but i bet the Saturn version has better color and resolution.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

If I remember right, they redid the videos for the Saturn so that they don't look so bad, they changed a lot (all?) of the music, and it actually used some 3D effects, while the other versions just pretended to. If I remember right.

Personally, I'm quite fond of the music from the other versions. I haven't heard the Saturn version's music, so I can't judge it.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Oh, Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn for me is beautiful.

Awesome music and gameplay.

I like it a lot! =)
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

I want to get that game for saturn too! I have it for genesis and i love it, so a "second" copy would just be awesome!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I decided to not play on the Mega Drive to play it on the Saturn... =D

Took some years, but I don't care.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Manji

Post by Manji »

i decided what good is a sega console without a sonic game, so 3D blast fills the void for me. i think the other choices i had were sonic r or sonic jam. sonic r is racing and jam is only a collection of sonic 1-3 and sonic & knuckles. 3D blast isn't wholly original since it debuted on the Genesis/MD, but at least they enhanced the play experience when they ported it to the saturn (music, graphics, special stage, fmv).
grolt

Post by grolt »

Manji wrote:i decided what good is a sega console without a sonic game, so 3D blast fills the void for me. i think the other choices i had were sonic r or sonic jam. sonic r is racing and jam is only a collection of sonic 1-3 and sonic & knuckles. 3D blast isn't wholly original since it debuted on the Genesis/MD, but at least they enhanced the play experience when they ported it to the saturn (music, graphics, special stage, fmv).
But the best part about SONIC JAM is the 3D world with Sonic, which has a fair bit of fun tasks and time attack things to do. It's, excuse the pun, a blast! SONIC R is an amazing game too, probably the most graphically impressive title in the entire Saturn library. Sega really suffered for not putting out a 3D Sonic platformer, but the three Sonic games they did put up were all fantastic.
That's fly.
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

yea, sonic r is one of the those "prototype" games kinda like sonic spinball, u either hate it or love it
grolt

Post by grolt »

dbdrummer88 wrote:yea, sonic r is one of the those "prototype" games kinda like sonic spinball, u either hate it or love it
But everyone must love the music! :lol:
That's fly.